Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leah Lutz
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, Serack. We have so many great people around here-including all you cool folks in this thread!

• Serack
    replied
    Leah Lutz is the hero we need. Her testimonial is the lifting article I refer non lifters to the most.

Leave a comment:

• LeonSquatsky
    replied
    I don't know man. I've been in places where I wasn't seeing progress, and that was holding me back from signing up to a meet.

Part of it is to do it and see how you like it. If you really like it, that gives you a sport to practice for and train for. If you don't like it, that's great information to get too.

It makes the training much more concrete and purposeful.

Leave a comment:

• Radford McAwesome
    replied
    10-4, good luck when/if you decide to compete!

Leave a comment:

• kenwells
    replied
    Ok. So, it sounds like the consensus is to just go ahead and make the plunge. I'll start looking into meets that happen in the Fall 2020 within a 45min drive of Kansas City. I think that should be plenty of time for me to get prepped.

I'm moving into Phase III of the beginner template in a couple weeks, so I'll see what my 1 @ 8 is for the different movements. I'll follow that up with Powerbuilding I. Then I'll be doing the Endurance template late winter/early spring because I do spring races with my wife. After that, I'll just switch over to Strength I.

Current lifts as of this week:
    Squat [email protected] 225lb
    Deadlift [email protected] 255lb
    Bench [email protected] 180lb

I'm not sure what type of gains i'll make after a year (I've been weightlifting since June), but I'm excited to keep going.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

BTW, Radford, I figured it was sarcasm.

Leave a comment:

• Leah Lutz
    commented on 's reply
    Cool! Thank you. I can be sensitive sometimes about these things as I get A LOT of feedback from new and cautious lifters, men and women, who feel out of place, judged, and very unsure of themselves. I have taken lifters to meets who were almost overwhelmed with embarrassment and nervousness about the event. I also hear from people on a regular basis that online lifting communities are tough to break into and seem harsh. So I really don't want this place to be that. :-)

Again, thank you! We worked it out. <3

• Radford McAwesome
    replied
    Thought?

I’ll edit, don’t be mad at me, Leah.

Leave a comment:

• Leah Lutz
    replied
    I realize you think I am over-reacting, but two word posts can be just as thoughtless as longer posts. Maybe you thought you were being funny. I don't know. You get to do whatever you see fit as I did what I saw fit in addressing a post that was made counter to the thoughtful advice otherwise found in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Herbison
    replied
    Originally posted by Radford McAwesome View Post
    I would never actually judge a hypothetical lifter in a hypothetical meet.
    I assumed it was sarcastic. That's why we have /s.

Leave a comment:

• Radford McAwesome
    replied
    I would never actually judge a hypothetical lifter in a hypothetical meet. If my two word internet post stops anyone from realizing their powerlifting dreams, for that I’m truly sorry. Would you like me to delete or edit it?

Leave a comment:

• Leah Lutz
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Radford!
    Last edited by Leah Lutz; 08-30-2019, 01:26 AM.

• Radford McAwesome
    replied
    Sorry Leah

Leave a comment:

• Leah Lutz
    replied
    problem solved!
    Last edited by Leah Lutz; 08-30-2019, 01:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Radford McAwesome
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Even if you saw a 200 lb 30-year-old guy squatting only 100 lb at a meet, would you judge them?
    Hell No! That’d be totes awesome!
    Last edited by Radford McAwesome; 08-30-2019, 01:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Take a deep breath and sign up for a local meet.

Not that long ago I was told that if I wanted to improve, that I should sign up for a meet. My response was the same as your, I told my coach: I don't want to make a fool of myself. Fortunately he reassured me that he wouldn't let that happen, and so I took the plunge.

It was the best decision of my athletic career.

Not to say there wasn't some trepidation along the way. I reached out to folks with more experience to help me find my way, and I suggest you do the same ( tip o' the cap to Leah Lutz for being that person many years ago ).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X