Gym soundtrack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym soundtrack

Folks, I need help. All my workout music is tired. It needs a break. What is your go to gym soundtrack?

Meshuggah

it's like doing single rep maxes with your ears
    The Lie of Freedom - Just another Straw Pulled at Random

Comment

xlr8r.com podcast feed (slightly left-field EDM)

If you want something more metal-y, I recommend Calculating Infinity by Dillinger Escape Plan

Comment

What genre of music do you enjoy typically? It's easier to make recommendations if we have a place to start

Comment

Originally posted by George Locke View Post
        xlr8r.com podcast feed (slightly left-field EDM)
        I thought there is very small chance it will be left-field enough for me but they have all kinds of stuff! I'm digging the mixes from Evan Baggs and Peter Van Hoesen. I love me some dark, mischievous, melodic techno and anything deeply atmospheric and hypnotic. Haven't heard any new stuff in a while. I can't stand the EDM commonly seen at big festivals or sirius radio. And of course anything curated by Scanner is up my alley though lots of it is old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristara View Post
          What genre of music do you enjoy typically? It's easier to make recommendations if we have a place to start
          Ha! Well, I was raised on country music and an assortment of 90s jams, but have, ah, flexible taste. I was interested in seeing what people would come up with without me poisoning the well.

Comment

I listen to Jordan yelling after a good lift and pr myself. Best sound to enter my ear.
            But in seriousness,
            PR Song
            Killswitch Engage - this fire

Hype
            New level by ASAP Ferg
            Started from the bottom drake
            You already know what you are - ADTR

Comment

Originally posted by neandrewthal View Post

I thought there is very small chance it will be left-field enough for me but they have all kinds of stuff! I'm digging the mixes from Evan Baggs and Peter Van Hoesen. I love me some dark, mischievous, melodic techno and anything deeply atmospheric and hypnotic. Haven't heard any new stuff in a while. I can't stand the EDM commonly seen at big festivals or sirius radio. And of course anything curated by Scanner is up my alley though lots of it is old stuff.
              My point of reference for left-field is pretty dang out there, as most of what I listen to is more atonal than Scanner (Touch records, Erstwhile records, Line Imprint; large spotify playlist https://open.spotify.com/user/227rkg...j1JxfVWq7nhWBN ).

Here's a few of the XLR8R podcasts I've DL'd and relistened repeatedly
              George FitzGerald: techno - sounds like the closest thing to what you describe
              Fracture: contemporary jungle, but good (I know this is hard to believe). strong footwork flavor.
              James Holden: If you want to hear something else you thought was impossible, check out some trance music that is actually good. (This is only possible because it is almost unrecognizable as trance.) Very melodic.
              Kingdom: pop-inflected bass
              Lil Silva: "UK funky" (in 2010 this was a thing. basically, it's rough techno with grime influence.)
              Roska: a 2009 recording of the bass music that emerged and diverged from dub-step. Roska was a key player in that evolution.
              SCB: very laid back techno
              Oneohtrix Point Never: wide-ranging set that includes a few awesome, unexpected mixes (e.g. Taylor Deupree mashed up with Julia Holter then Three 6 Mafia)

Last edited by George Locke; 03-05-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• neandrewthal
                neandrewthal commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the list!

I tried searching for the Fitzgerald one but there were a zillion results besides the podcast and I had to look through them all to find it manually. Hopefully I will have better luck searching for the others. I tried the Demdike Stare one cause I'm a fan of them and it was good but not as good as the awesome cassette mix I have from them.

I downloaded the OPN one but it failed. I'm a huge fan of his stuff before he went glitchy and I guess a minor fan now.

I like your comment about trance that is actually good because I have never written off the genre despite the fact that most examples are crap. I guess most of the crap artists just never convinced me that there is something wrong with it in principle. The contemporary jungle should be interesting too. I actually forgot all about jungle. I mean obviously we still have DnB, but I forgot where it came from.

• George Locke
                George Locke commented
                Editing a comment
                pro tip: https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

currently listening to the Evan Baggs mix; enjoying it!
            Working...
            X