Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ending rehab from hip injury

Hi,

I’m slowly getting better from left groin pain on adduction and left glute ache, especially inferior. Got the first from DIY squat when I had trouble getting out of the hole, and the second after coached deadlift—my first coached session.

The DPT whom I’m working with is sympathetic to resistance training, having witnessed me get better after groin and anterior pain on the right hip. She is athletic herself and has some knowledge of barbell training, though she is dubious about doing it at my age. I referred her to Sullivan’s book. She believes the problems to be sacroiliac and hip OA.

I am 66, and have been resistance training for a year, barbells for two and a half months.

I was up to 115 squats 170 deadlifts 80 presses 105 benches when I put myself on a lay-off for rehab.

I would like to start weekly coaching, so want to work out a green light sequence with the DPT. I’m thinking about starting with upper body lifting first, subbing body weight squats, leg curls and extensions on machines until I feel ready for lower body lifts again. So I’d like to ask for green lights in stages with presses first.

Any thoughts?

Firstly I think it’s great you want to resistance train and given your age it’s awesome.
    That being said I think having an actual PT give you advice, will benefit you more than I.
    Good luck sir.

Comment

• Bophame
      Bophame commented
      Editing a comment
      Emailed a coach. Apparently, it’s Starting Strength policy to require a clean green light before starting training.

Originally posted by Bophame View Post
    Hi,

I’m slowly getting better from left groin pain on adduction and left glute ache, especially inferior. Got the first from DIY squat when I had trouble getting out of the hole, and the second after coached deadlift—my first coached session.

The DPT whom I’m working with is sympathetic to resistance training, having witnessed me get better after groin and anterior pain on the right hip. She is athletic herself and has some knowledge of barbell training, though she is dubious about doing it at my age. I referred her to Sullivan’s book. She believes the problems to be sacroiliac and hip OA.

I am 66, and have been resistance training for a year, barbells for two and a half months.

I was up to 115 squats 170 deadlifts 80 presses 105 benches when I put myself on a lay-off for rehab.

I would like to start weekly coaching, so want to work out a green light sequence with the DPT. I’m thinking about starting with upper body lifting first, subbing body weight squats, leg curls and extensions on machines until I feel ready for lower body lifts again. So I’d like to ask for green lights in stages with presses first.

Any thoughts?
    Sorry to hear about the issues.

I'm not sure I'm following what you are asking for. It sounds like you want clearance for activity but we can't give that over the internet.

We'd be happy to consult with you to provide advice on how you can work through this issue and move towards your goals.

If I'm misunderstanding what you are asking, please let me know.

Comment

The question was about navigating rehab with a local DPT. It turns out that I put her on to Sullivan’s Barbell Press Prescription recent YouTube video. She’s also bought his book.

So I think my approach now is to wait for her green light (and my own feel), then start with the Starting Strength coach. Whether to consult with you guys, I think it’s too early, since I can’t do groups of body weight squats yet without the joint complaining. Meanwhile, I’m doing the DPT’s exercises, supplemented by resistance training that she says is OK.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Bophame View Post
        The question was about navigating rehab with a local DPT. It turns out that I put her on to Sullivan’s Barbell Press Prescription recent YouTube video. She’s also bought his book.

So I think my approach now is to wait for her green light (and my own feel), then start with the Starting Strength coach. Whether to consult with you guys, I think it’s too early, since I can’t do groups of body weight squats yet without the joint complaining. Meanwhile, I’m doing the DPT’s exercises, supplemented by resistance training that she says is OK.

Thoughts?
        Ah ok. Sounds like you all have a good working relationship. It's difficult for us to weigh-in without more details. If you are already making progress then this may be not be necessary but if you can provide us with these details then perhaps we can provide insight:

What are you experiencing with the groin pain and glute ache? What movements in particular are you having issues with?
        How long has this been ongoing?
        Any recent traumas?
        Have you been provided any narratives about what you are experiencing? Any diagnosis?

Are you familiar with our pain education materials?

Comment

What are you experiencing with the groin pain and glute ache? What movements in particular are you having issues with?

Stiffness on extension while walking. DPT has worked a lot of that out through manipulation and exercises. After abduction or squat, I get a mildly painful hitch in superior groin with a subsequent adduction when close to return to neutral position, or flexion at just past 90 degrees, such as when getting out of my Honda Civic. This does not repeat if I subsequently move the joint around where the hitch occurred.

Glute pain is pretty much resolved. It began in December after form checks with a Starting Strength coach. Felt like a hammer hit me below the glute.

I can press, bench, and deadlift OK. Can't bodyweight squat more than a few times without getting hitch in superior groin.

How long has this been ongoing?

Anterior hip/groin began in well while doing squats in November.
          Glute in December doing deadlifts after doing a squat-press-deadlift form check with a Starting Strength coach in December. So I think there is a volume issue here.

Any recent traumas?

No. Similar problems in hip/groin in opposite leg began May 2017 but resolved early this year with PT and resistance training. Orthopedist had given me the options of hip replacement, arthroscopy, or PT. I chose PT, but added resistance training.

Have you been provided any narratives about what you are experiencing? DPT: Cascade of problems from initial injury while squatting.

Any diagnosis?

DPT: Anterior medial impingement of capsule. Inability to get full extension of hip with stable pelvis and lower back. Lateral and medial glutes not functioning properly when walking (I can see/sense these.) Possible strain of superior iliopsoas.

Sportsmed diagnosis: Possible OA. However, steroid injection didn't work, where it had for opposite hip.

Are you familiar with our pain education materials? I've watched some of BarbellMed's YouTube videos. Got anything in writing?

I tried some up to 70% deadlifts (that is, I tried 5 reps at 135 lbs) (of best working weight) yesterday without aggravation. That was after doing presses at PR of 75 lb. I still can't do more than a few bodyweight squats without getting the hitch on adduction or flexion at 100 degrees.

Benched 105 lbs without problem last Thursday. I have yet to form check my bench, but I feel like I have a passable form.
          Last edited by Bophame; 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X