Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement Surgery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement Surgery

My mom is going to have an anterior hip replacement surgery. She asked me to stay with her for a while to take care of her while she recovers. I googled on this topic, but it was not helpful. She is going to have a minimally invasive hip replacement surgery. It is said that they make small incisions through the front of the hip, rather than a long incision from behind. I know that she will actually be able to get up and down the stairs and walk. I like to take her to physiotherapy in Mississauga as I think walking after getting a hip replaced doesn't make sense. I want to take care of her, but I'm not sure how long I should plan to stay with her and what I should be prepared to do. If anyone has got insight into this type of surgery, please give some suggestions.

Hey Jikeril,

It sounds like you are doing an awesome job looking out for your mother. Often hip precautions are contingent upon the surgeon but the new minimally invasive anterior approaches tend to not come with much in the way of restrictions. There is a large spectrum of how people come out of hip surgery but often a good predictor is how good of health the person is in going to the surgery. These days most people are discharged within 2 days of surgery and many of them are walking laps around the floor of the hospital without issue. You are correct that ultimately walking is likely too low of a threshold to be considered sufficient rehab, especially if you mother has goals beyond that. Physical therapy is certainly a good option to explore as returning to the same level of strength as before surgery (and hopefully well beyond that level) is a good goal and PT can also help assist with falls prevention and getting more comfortable going up and down stairs. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Just as a side question, Derek do you still recommend Clinical Athlete for clinicians near the patient?

Comment

Working...
      X