Non-training specific movements dealing with back pain after last session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-training specific movements dealing with back pain after last session

So yesterday I experienced a bit of mid back pain during my squat sets, doing reps of 7 @ 8. I finished my squat sets and then went and did all my barbell row sets. The pain was worse when I was just standing around and felt much better when I was performing movements. Today my back is uncomfortable but most when I am not moving. Not worried about this overall its just a bit inconvenient. I play golf. Would playing a round of 18 holes be a good type of movement that is not specific to my training movements to keep moving and being active while dealing with a bit of pain? I sit in office for 10-11 hours a day so not much time for activity outside of my training sessions and weekends.

Thanks!

Hm.. that is a bit odd but nothing that cant be managed and rehabbed! I think you should continue to live your life with no expectation of pain with movement, that is what i had the hardest time dealing with was just thinking about the discomfort i was in the entire time instead of what i was doing(homework, work, cooking,cleaning etc). I think if you can golf to tolerance and maybe take the first couple of swings easy to see how far you can rotate then you'd be good!

Comment

Originally posted by Chi_Gooner View Post
      So yesterday I experienced a bit of mid back pain during my squat sets, doing reps of 7 @ 8. I finished my squat sets and then went and did all my barbell row sets. The pain was worse when I was just standing around and felt much better when I was performing movements. Today my back is uncomfortable but most when I am not moving. Not worried about this overall its just a bit inconvenient. I play golf. Would playing a round of 18 holes be a good type of movement that is not specific to my training movements to keep moving and being active while dealing with a bit of pain? I sit in office for 10-11 hours a day so not much time for activity outside of my training sessions and weekends.

Thanks!
      Chi_Gooner sorry to hear about the recent symptoms. How have you been feeling since the OP?

Nothing you've said so far implies you should avoid your training regiment but perhaps be sure to use RPE to make load adjustments. Regarding golf - sure if you are interested in playing golf, then nothing you've said implies you shouldn't play golf. Granted my initial thought with this is have you recently played golf or is playing 18 holes straight above what you have adapted to previously and are prepared to do now.

Comment

Dr. Ray,

I am feeling great. I kept training. Switched to a leg press for the two sessions after I felt the pain as it felt much more tolerable, and maintained all my other lifts. Back is feeling good now. All the resources on how to manage these situations have been so helpful. In previous years I would've taken ibuprofen and rested and hope I "healed" up. Played golf as well and just that constant movement was good for the pain... and I had a decent round. Thanks for putting out this information on dealing with pain and training. It will certainly help me going forward if a tweak occurs again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chi_Gooner View Post
          Dr. Ray,

I am feeling great. I kept training. Switched to a leg press for the two sessions after I felt the pain as it felt much more tolerable, and maintained all my other lifts. Back is feeling good now. All the resources on how to manage these situations have been so helpful. In previous years I would've taken ibuprofen and rested and hope I "healed" up. Played golf as well and just that constant movement was good for the pain... and I had a decent round. Thanks for putting out this information on dealing with pain and training. It will certainly help me going forward if a tweak occurs again.
          Chi_Gooner This is great to hear! Glad our content has been helpful and sounds like you managed through this situation really well. Good work!

Comment

Working...
          X