Beau Hightower: pseudoscientific doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beau Hightower: pseudoscientific doctor

I have hated on the guy mentioned in the title for months. I stumbled upon him smacking some Russian powerlifters neck with a hammer and chisel. most recently (today) I watched Mark Bell’s video featuring him and almost thought he had finally came from under his umbrella of pseudoscientific BS.

He started by saying “pain is not only mechanical, that there are multiple factors that go into it, and it’s a response created by the brain to protect us” (paraphrased) he gave the huge speech about how people often times get noceboed and even gave some statistics about prevalence of pain after some form of perceived dismemberment or injury was seen in imaging. After this decent explanation of the pain experience he turns right around and says “but I think your pain is because of something mechanically wrong with you.”

and for the next 35 minutes is poking, squeezing and what would you know the hammer and chisel comes out. Throughout this entire evolution, he is continuously making every negative and catastrophic comment he could.

“Most of your pain is coming from some small muscle you have probably never heard of”

”I have done this enough to tell when a muscle is tight, but I still ask for feedback”

“I’ve had guys who ended up in worse conditions after trigger point therapy because there muscles spasm because of flight or flight”

etc...

1.) what the H is with the dang hammer and chisel?
    2.) how can people like this confidently walk around further, how can they ethically practice?
    3.) you guys should invite him to the pain podcast, I think it would be hilarious.

Originally posted by Bak2ThaBasix View Post
    I have hated on the guy mentioned in the title for months. I stumbled upon him smacking some Russian powerlifters neck with a hammer and chisel. most recently (today) I watched Mark Bell’s video featuring him and almost thought he had finally came from under his umbrella of pseudoscientific BS.

He started by saying “pain is not only mechanical, that there are multiple factors that go into it, and it’s a response created by the brain to protect us” (paraphrased) he gave the huge speech about how people often times get noceboed and even gave some statistics about prevalence of pain after some form of perceived dismemberment or injury was seen in imaging. After this decent explanation of the pain experience he turns right around and says “but I think your pain is because of something mechanically wrong with you.”

and for the next 35 minutes is poking, squeezing and what would you know the hammer and chisel comes out. Throughout this entire evolution, he is continuously making every negative and catastrophic comment he could.

“Most of your pain is coming from some small muscle you have probably never heard of”

”I have done this enough to tell when a muscle is tight, but I still ask for feedback”

“I’ve had guys who ended up in worse conditions after trigger point therapy because there muscles spasm because of flight or flight”

etc...

1.) what the H is with the dang hammer and chisel?
    2.) how can people like this confidently walk around further, how can they ethically practice?
    3.) you guys should invite him to the pain podcast, I think it would be hilarious.
    Bak2ThaBasix yeah...we get it and you have valid questions. Cognitive dissonance is difficult to battle on your own due to motivated reasoning - this is why we advocate for surrounding yourself with assholes....I mean people who you trust to call you on your BS on a regular basis.

3) Not a chance in hell as this would further his reach and I have zero interest in giving him more publicity for his pseudoscientific ideas.

Comment

Haha! I expected nothing less then this response. I just finished the newest podcast. I’m now looking at the education and prevention of low back pain references.

I try to surround myself with people who like to argue counter to my opinions especially in politics but this is difficult sometimes in the health and fitness field (as a coach specifically. I think this is due to people just accepting information at face value. I had another coach complaining that people (specifically me) read to much research and try and apply it to training. In her mind she couldn’t see the need to read research when it is just telling her stuff she already knew.

Comment

"Are you beau? God of hammers?"

Comment

Working...
        X