12 Week Strength - Calculating Drop sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Week Strength - Calculating Drop sets

I have a simple question - in the 12 Week Strength Program it has on the “Comp” lifts in weeks 1-2 (single @8, -20% 5x5), weeks 3-4 (single @8, -17% 5x4)... In the guidelines it gives percentage ranges for the single @8 of 90-93% and the respective drops for weeks 1-2 (70-73%) and 3-4 (73-76%).

What’s not clear to me is, if you have an e1RM of 403lbs and you are targeting (93%) for a single @8 of 375 for single, would you calculate drop sets:

A) 80% of the single 375 for 300x5x5 (74.5% of e1RM, outside the guideline range)

or ...

B) 73% (-20 from 93% single of e1RM) for 295x5x5.

This is only 5lbs difference but it becomes more significant as the e1RM increases and the called for drops decreases to -17% and -15%.

The guideline seems to imply calculating both the single and drop off the e1RM - rather than doing 80% of the single for the -20% drop.

FWIW, I've just finished running that program and I interpreted the % drop as based on my absolute 1@8 weight (not my e1RM). For simplicity's sake: if my 1@8 was 100 kg, -20% would be 80% of that i.e. 80 kg. A 5% drop would be 95 kg, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ropable View Post
      FWIW, I've just finished running that program and I interpreted the % drop as based on my absolute 1@8 weight (not my e1RM). For simplicity's sake: if my 1@8 was 100 kg, -20% would be 80% of that i.e. 80 kg. A 5% drop would be 95 kg, etc.
      That’s what I had been doing too - but I bought their version 2 spreadsheet and suddenly saw that as my single became a higher percentage (92-93%) that my drops were out of the guideline range (74-75%) when I applied the -20% to the single.

I think even in the example they use they calculate the drop off the e1RM not directly off the single.

Comment

The answer is A. The % is based on the single @8, not on your eRM. The instructions are pretty clear in the template. "Take off 20% from 1@8 for 5x5 (70-73% 1RM)".

There are days later in the 12wk strength template where you use a % of the e1RM, but not these early "developmental block" weeks. Weeks 1-5 you're really just pounding volume.

I think as far as the written % changing from 1.0 to 2.0, that was really just them clearing up typos. An @8 single is typically in the 92-93% range for most lifters. They also changed the written % for the drop down work. i.e. in week 2, the volume work is listed at 70-73%, which is ~20% less than 92-93%.

Comment

I have taken both calculations off e1RM.

For example: Bench e1RM 100Kg. 1@8 93Kg, 5x5 73Kg.

I may be wrong but I've found that this takes me into RPE 7-8 for my back off sets so it seems to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cmoney View Post
            The answer is A. The % is based on the single @8, not on your eRM. The instructions are pretty clear in the template. "Take off 20% from 1@8 for 5x5 (70-73% 1RM)".

There are days later in the 12wk strength template where you use a % of the e1RM, but not these early "developmental block" weeks. Weeks 1-5 you're really just pounding volume.

I think as far as the written % changing from 1.0 to 2.0, that was really just them clearing up typos. An @8 single is typically in the 92-93% range for most lifters. They also changed the written % for the drop down work. i.e. in week 2, the volume work is listed at 70-73%, which is ~20% less than 92-93%.
            Fair enough, but a single at 93% and then taking -20% off of the weight puts you at 74.4... (93*.8 = 74.4) which is outside the guild one range of 70-73% for -20% off of 90-93%.

Comment

Originally posted by ollie45 View Post
              I have taken both calculations off e1RM.

For example: Bench e1RM 100Kg. 1@8 93Kg, 5x5 73Kg.

I may be wrong but I've found that this takes me into RPE 7-8 for my back off sets so it seems to work for me.
              That’s option B in my example and that is what it appears to be doing in the example and keeps you in the guideline range. I *thought* that is the correct way, but I think option A is the more common way it is interpreted. Hence, I’m asking the designer of the program.

Option A) single (90-93%)... multiplied by 80% is 72-74.4% or outside the guideline. (90*.8 = .72)... if you multiply the single weight by 80%.

Option B) single (90-93%)... -20% from is 70-73%. (90-20 = 70)... then multiply by e1RM.

Comment

• keithf
                keithf commented
                Editing a comment
                You might want to post in the moderated section if you want an answer from Jordan. I'm curious as to what he would say as well, because I've been wondering the same thing. I've been doing Option B, though, since it's 5-6 sets. I figured a little lighter would be fine.
                Last edited by keithf; 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM.

I mean, it literally says "Take off 20% from 1 @8 for 5 reps x 5 sets". Not sure it could be clearer. But yes, you are correct, the %s are a bit off. My guess is they're simply bad at math, given their volume %s range (70-73%) is just 90-93% minus 20.

Comment

Working...
              X