Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSLP, then Peaking Template, then Bridge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSLP, then Peaking Template, then Bridge?

Hello, just signed up. First, thanks to the BBM team for putting all that knowledge out there and removing a lot of the guess-work, as well as potential freak outs from benign stuff (knees really noisy, otherwise asymptomatic, for example).

I am reaching the end of my LP, as I cannot consistently add weight to the bar at each and every session, resetting 2 weeks back to see a 2,5kg improvement on a lift after which a new reset is required has become the norm (in effect adding weight to the bar every 2 weeks or so, so less than results marketed by "intermediate" programs out there). The only reason I am still doing this , is because of GSLP's more "fun" (less so as time goes) reset protocols, and the fact that yes, it still "works", I still see progress, albight really sluggish.

I want to do the bridge, I read about it, listened to podcasts, read/watched reviews. I hear most people see great results on that after an LP, while learning about programming and other skills that will be put to greater usage later, that all makes sense to me, it sounds great.

The Issue:
    I see myself as someone that would over/under shoot RPEs wildly and all over the place for a variety of good and bad reasons. I understand that you get to learn RPE over time and that mistakes are part of the process. I just don't want to screw my first attempt at the bridge and then wonder if it is because of this new RPE thing, the wider exercise selection (than what I am doing currently), or those GPP thingys that I am doing wrong maybe.

My proposed solution:
    I would run the Novice Peaking Template(right before the Bridge) in order to get accustomed to RPEs while they are coupled with % (which makes the thing reassuring to me somewhat).Gathering a good data pool on what my 1RMs and 3RMs on all lifts on several different occasion would allow me to place reasonable boundaries on my RPE choices during the Bridge cycle.

Makes sense or there are obvious flaws with that reasoning?
    Last edited by Samuel Andre; 03-13-2019, 08:14 PM.

I don’t know how much volume is in the GSLP, but I’d say tougher than the adjustment to RPE and added variants in The Bridge is the time it took to get through the workouts as the volume increased.

To combat that I have two suggestions. First if you can, do your best to start warming up for the next lift during the rest of the current working sets. This saves a lot of time.

The second best thing that can help you manage your time in the gym is following Alan Thrall’s recommendations in this video:
    https://youtu.be/H1zLTBudY6c

as for RPE, I did my best to gather all the various ques and advice on gauging RPE here

https://forum.barbellmedicine.com/fo...rk-in-progress

Comment

Originally posted by Serack View Post
      I don’t know how much volume is in the GSLP, but I’d say tougher than the adjustment to RPE and added variants in The Bridge is the time it took to get through the workouts as the volume increased.

To combat that I have two suggestions. First if you can, do your best to start warming up for the next lift during the rest of the current working sets. This saves a lot of time.

The second best thing that can help you manage your time in the gym is following Alan Thrall’s recommendations in this video:
      https://youtu.be/H1zLTBudY6c

as for RPE, I did my best to gather all the various ques and advice on gauging RPE here

https://forum.barbellmedicine.com/fo...rk-in-progress

Thank you for your suggestions.

You are right, the GSLP volume is below that of the bridge. 8 weeks ago I have implemented Back-off sets on all lifts in order to make up for some of the volume difference. I am now clearly above the "low stress" weekly volume and a little below the "mod stress" weekly volume of the bridge (overall weekly number of reps). My current average intensity for all lifts is rather high (for me) right now compared to what I see the bridge prescribing in terms of RPEs, I am sure that factors in too (load management), can't tell by how much though.

Regarding time-efficiency, I agree that's a biggy, I have done a good job at it so far, I can stretch it outa little more, even if I don't own a gym. Myo reps are really tempting.

Thanks for your link to your post, that was enlightening, didn't get through all the meta yet.

I saw no inquisitive rebuke in your post. Am I right to assume that you do not think that transitioning from GSLP to the Bridge using the 3 weeks Novice Peaking Template is utter heresy?

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Andre View Post
        I saw no inquisitive rebuke in your post. Am I right to assume that you do not think that transitioning from GSLP to the Bridge using the 3 weeks Novice Peaking Template is utter heresy?
        The bridge is kinda generically optimized to meet the training needs of someone just coming off of an NLP the workout before, so that plan may not be “ideal” from a maximized training efficiency perspective.

However, I totally get the motivation to test all those novice gains you just worked so hard for. So I didn’t comment because you’re an adult and can make those decisions for your own training.

And I’m not coach enough to know if the peak template ends with low enough stress to justify skipping the first week of low stress that is programmed into The Bridge to allow for recovery from the higher intensity work that is assumed someone coming off of a NLP to The Bridge needs. I was told by BBM coaches that if you run The Bridge 2x in a row to trim off one of the low stress weeks though.

edit: in addition to lower stress to allow for recovery coming off an NLP, that first week also helps ease the transition into RPE and all those presumably unfamiliar variants before cranking up the volume too.
        Last edited by Serack; 03-15-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X