Workout Tacking App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout Tacking App

I am using an app called Strong to log and track my workouts.
    It is pretty nice one however it does not support RPE entry.
    I am looking for alternatives.

How do you guys track your workouts?
    Downloaded over 1,000,000 times, Strong workout tracker is a simple and minimal workout log for Stronglifts, Powerlifting & Weightlifting, 5x5 and 531.

I use Strong and it works fine. I log RPE in Strong for all my lifts in the notes section of each lift. For example, I'll record all my sets as prescribed for whatever I'm supposed to do. Say it's [email protected], then [email protected] for squats. I'll record those 5 sets, then I'll hit the notes section and record RPE. Usually I'll put it in like this "8 8 8 8 8.5". In this example when I look back at it, it's easy to see that each set was an 8 but the last set is where RPE began climbing.

It doesn't do RPE calculations for you, nor does it track e1RM based off of RPE. The 1RM calculations it does are based on the sets you doing being maxes themselves, so the 1RM calculations are lower than what they should be. I don't use those in Strong anyway. For me, Strong is an easy way to track and view my workout history, and you can see the trends over time.

For easier RPE calculations, honestly you should purchase at least one of the BBM templates. They come in a spreadsheet, and it makes calculating RPE very easy for different set/rep schemes. There's also a log section where you can record your lifts and track your e1RM over time. I record my lifting in the spreadsheet also.

Comment

• dragonball852
      dragonball852 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, the Strong app is pretty intuitive, however, you need to pay for the subscription if you didn't buy it before they made it subscription-based. I personally use Muscular Workout Log for iOS, you can try it out for free but after a certain number of workouts, you need to pay once (around 9 USD). Besides exercises with weights, I personally like mixing in some duration exercises (some with counting reps additionally) and Muscular has not only a rest timer but also a duration timer your can launch from the current set you are about to start.
      I personally don't track RPE but I will look into it.

Thanks for the reply Euby.

I have 7 Week GPP Hypertrophy Bias template and I am also recording my workouts in logs sections. But, it's work done double.
    Could be much easier to have it in Strong.

I recently made a screenshot modification on Photoshop, sent developers (see below picture) and asked them to include RPE in the app.
    They said this is frequently asked feature and they are considering to include RPE in future version of the app.
    Let's see

Comment

That would be great! I need to email them also then.

Comment

It would definitely be nice if they included it in the app. I also use strong and notate the same way Euby does. But, if nothing else, having my e1RM's in the app based off my RPE instead of just weight and reps would be nice.

Comment

Have try Intensity (Intensity - Workout Journal by Taylor Hamling
          https://apps.apple.com/us/app/intens...l/id1047407323)? You can create your own training program. I put the Bridge 2.0 (the free version) there

Comment

I'm interested in using apps or online platforms for the nice charts and analysis tools, but it's unclear if you can export data. I'd not like to input months or years of workouts and not be able to get the data out if the app goes downhill or ceases. I always log on paper anyway, but can you export to excel or some universal format for these apps?

Comment

The Strong app has added the ability to record RPE, and it also allows you to export your information.

Comment

Very helpful, thanks!

Comment

I've found a format this year that works great for me. I use a paper notebook and a mechanical pencil. I write out my weeks workouts ahead of time and write my actual work during my gym time.
                  Also never have to worry about losing power!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesT View Post
                    The Strong app has added the ability to record RPE, and it also allows you to export your information.
                    Thanks for the heads up, I’ll take a look at it
                    Forum topics and other links I've found useful

Comment

Originally posted by JamesT View Post
                      I dint see anything for RPE. Are you on android?

I'm android and app is up to date

Comment

• JamesT
                        JamesT commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I use the app on iPhone, so it is possible that the feature hasn't been added to the android version. There is a button in the keyboard labelled "RPE."

FitNotes seems to work pretty well too. It allows you to comment on every set, so i record my RPE and any other comment i might want there. It also allows a session comment, which i use to document session RPE and any extra notes about the session. You can share the workout which produces a formatted text dump to whatever application you want, or you can export to CSV. There's a setting so it automatically backs up to your google drive as well which i find a nice piece of mind feature.
                      It has lots of built in charts and graphs and PR tracking for various rep ranges. So far i've been really happy with it.

It would be nice if they incorporated an RPE calculator along w/ target RPE field, but i think that's pretty rare in general workout app, considering it's fairly niche outside of powerlifting which is fairly niche in the fitness world
                      Last edited by gmorf33; 07-24-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I started using the RTS training log online. They made a couple of tweaks to it so it is easier to use on mobile. Pretty happy with it.
                        Log

Comment

Originally posted by teddyd View Post
                          I started using the RTS training log online. They made a couple of tweaks to it so it is easier to use on mobile. Pretty happy with it.
                          Huh, I tried it a couple years ago, but was logging in like 3 different places at the time and fell off, plus it was a bit clunky doing it in the browser instead of an app. I'm getting a bit frustrated with my spreadsheets and I like Mike's work and would like to see my #'s contribute towards it.

Perhaps I will try his logger again.
                          Forum topics and other links I've found useful

Comment

Working...
                          X