Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bridge - "work sets" weight and RPE

Hey guys,

I am currently doing "The Bridge", entering week 4. Here is an example intensity & volume:

5 reps @ RPE 8 x 4 sets (those are final/work sets).

Should I do all those sets with the same weight? I rest for about 3 minutes and sometimes later sets of squats and deadlifts feel more like RPE 9-9.5.

Regards

Ideally the weight would remain the same - but what is more important is sticking to the RPE - which sometimes means dropping the weight (which is okay). Make sure to read the Ebook part of the Bridge as I believe they touch upon this.

TLDR: Dont overshoot RPE, try to stick to it as much as possible - even if that means lowering the weight by 5% or so to keep to the prescribed number across working sets.

Comment

You should aim to keep your RPE about 8. If it creeps up to 8.5 and with your shorter 3 minute rest breaks it is likely to creep up again to 9 in the next set, I would drop the weight a little (say circa 5%). It is a battle with the Ego. Remember, Ego is the enemy.

This is more likely to happen in the case of 3 minute rest periods, unless your conditioning is amazing. If you were keeping to 5 minute rest periods you could probably keep the weight the same and only get minor creep to say 8.5 in the last set.
      Log

Comment

Originally posted by teddyd View Post
        You should aim to keep your RPE about 8. If it creeps up to 8.5 and with your shorter 3 minute rest breaks it is likely to creep up again to 9 in the next set, I would drop the weight a little (say circa 5%). It is a battle with the Ego. Remember, Ego is the enemy.

This is more likely to happen in the case of 3 minute rest periods, unless your conditioning is amazing. If you were keeping to 5 minute rest periods you could probably keep the weight the same and only get minor creep to say 8.5 in the last set.
        Just to echo this: Yes. Rest ~5 minutes and your RPE will stay the same. Speaking from experience.

Comment

To add a question on top of this if you all don't mind... when it says say [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] 3 sets. Do you also wait 5 minutes between the sets of [email protected] and [email protected]? Or are those still considered warmup sets?

Comment

Ideally you would need less than 5 minutes after the @6 and @7, but ymmv. If the set was more than @6, I usually rest more than 4 min.

Also, for presses I usually rest a bit less.
            Me gainzz

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              To add a question on top of this if you all don't mind... when it says say [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] 3 sets. Do you also wait 5 minutes between the sets of [email protected] and [email protected]? Or are those still considered warmup sets?
              I usually don't rest between sets up to the @6, just whatever time it takes to change the plates/weights. Then I will change the plates/weights for @7 and maybe have an extra minute. Then after @7 I will take the full whatever planned rest time. So in The Bridge I rested 4 to 5 minutes between @7 and @8, and every set thereafter. In the GPP Hypertrophy, I wait 3 minutes tops between @7 and @8 and ever set thereafter.
              Log

Comment

I see some of you did the hypertrophy program, I used to do 5s with 5 minutes rest with 0,5 increase in RPE more or less per set (bad conditioning, getting better)

But now 6 reps at 4 mins rest i'm having trouble to find those [email protected] 2 sets or [email protected] sets

examplo of squats 345 [email protected],5 [email protected] then [email protected] =/

Comment

Working...
                X