Squat Form Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat Form Check

Doing the SSLP. Missed reps 1 month in program at 190 lbs. Wasn't able to get 5 reps on the second set but I was able to on the third, which makes me think it was a technique issue. How does my technique look?

Perhaps you simply didn't rest enough after the 1st set?

But, it looks like your hips are rising too fast out of the bottom on most reps, which is pushing the weight too far forward. You might benefit by bringing your head up a bit towards a neutral position, instead of looking almost straight down. Hard to tell from the angle of the video, could possibly also benefit from widening your stance a bit.

Comment

I took a 5 minute rest so it should have been sufficient. Someone from another thread said that I am not sitting back enough. Maybe that’s the issue.

Comment

It looks like you need to cut the weight a bit and get your form down better- and get a 45 degree angle video from your backside. Your back does not stay in extension, your knees go forward, and yes, you do not sit back. Try doing tempo squats (squatting very slowly down) and focus on keeping your back straight, getting your knees slightly over your toes, and showing the wall your ass (sit back)—also when you sit back it’s been my experience that the knees going forward issue resolves itself.

Comment

Yes I am planning to deload 10% and work on form. I had also been getting slight knee irritation so this will definitely help. What are some tips for keeping the lower back in extension? Someone else told me that I need to brace and flex the abs.

Comment

It's been a while since I read it, but see if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mwSgEc_F8
            Me gainzz

Comment

Well, it’s difficult in my opinion, but bracing your abdominal region definitely helps. Also when working on your form, stay extremely conscious of what your back is doing. You know the “Superman” demonstration (lay on your belly and lift your legs and arms without bending them)- your back should feel tight like that as perform the movement. It takes practice, practice, and some more practice.

Comment

I have been trying to do this with just bodyweight and I am able to contract my lumbar spine when standing but when I go down into the bottom of the squat my lower back rounds. I have also read Rip's article on butt wink and I think I might just have a relatively flat lordotic position. Is there any way to know if I am in lumbar extension?
                Last edited by jrawls89; 09-03-2018, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I really and I mean really doubt there’s anything wrong with you. It’s not easy, and takes practice, keep your back tight like your life depends on it throughout the ENTIRE set. The only way to develop proprioceptive feed back is through practicing, I.e. contract your back muscles throughout the day and get use to controlling and feeling them. Also when you squat (low bar) remember the back should be more horizontal, that should help with your issue as well. There is a point on depth of going too low and your lumbar spine will round. Remember hip crease should be below the patella. So, stop doing the dumb self diagnostic internet doctor thing, and practice this everyday while filming and critique yourself. Watch videos of people with good form I.e. Baraki, Michael Wolf, or pick somebody. Develop your eye for form. None of this is easy. You could always pay for a coach too.

Comment

A few tweaks and you’ll be there.

First, get some shoes. You’re doing some sort of hip thrust before you descend, stop that. Break at the hips and knees simultaneously to set your knees and back angle then sit back the rest of the way. You may be just going an inch or so too deep and losing some tightness in your lower back which looks okay the rest of the time. Your shooting your hips back out of the hole which will cause your knees to move forward to balance yourself. Drive your hips Up at the same time you’re driving the bar UP. Maintain your back angle and “drive the bar UP with your hips” out of the bottom. You just need to get tighter, Starting with your upper back. Get your elbows down and wrists more neutral. The elbows pointing backwards is pushing the bar up your back and causing some thoracic flexion.

The knee irritation is probably from locking your knees too forcefully at the top. Maintain back angle through the sticking point and stand up strong. Don’t “snap” your knees at the top. As soon as it got tough, you dumped it. Keep your chest down, maintain back angle and drive up through the sticking point, don’t give up on it so quickly. Head more neutral also as the other posts said as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X