Thinking of switching to Sumo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tfranc View Post

tl;dr: you don't start off in a great position and end up compensating for it later on, all things that make pulling harder than it needs to be.

So, having said all that, I would cue yourself to:
    A.) "don't move the bar". Don't move it during your set up. Bring your shins to the bar, and that's where you pull from. As long as the bar is over mid-foot, you're golden.
    B.) "stay out over the bar". Stay out over the bar longer than you think you need to. The bar is going to feel closer to your shins and farther away from your shoulders than how it feels now. Once you pass your knees, stand up tall.
    C.) "straight arms". Your arms are merely cables, your hands only hooks. As long as you don't let go of the bar, you're good
    D.) "stand up tall". This is for your lockout. Just think about standing up tall, and you will lock out.

Ideally, I would like to see you:
    1.) quickly get into position, bring your shins to the bar over mid foot, take a deep breath and like heltonjj says, squeeze your back. HARD. (If it helps, think about raising your chest and your ass. whatever you do, don't move the bar).
    2.) squeeze your shoulders down and back AS you squeeze your back tight. This is a hard one to communicate without being there in person.
    How you do this: stand up, and think about moving your shoulders down into your pockets. Don't squeeze them back behind you, don't squeeze them forward, just down. The opposite of a shrug. You do that at the bottom of the pull and i guarantee pulling will feel significantly better.
    3.) As soon as all this comes together, pull.

it looks like I basically did none of what you said except maybe get the hips a bit higher.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rent View Post

X2 Leah took me from a 185ish deadlift to 415 in little less then 18 months
        That’s impressive as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Lockup View Post

it looks like I basically did none of what you said except maybe get the hips a bit higher.
          You were in position to pull once the video started so I couldn’t see your set up, but I think you probably did a great job not pushing the bar forward once you brought your shins to it. That’s a big deal. Friggen awesome.

Honestly everything looks fine except for the other big deal: your back. You don’t set your back before you pull and you can actually see it round as the bar comes off the floor. This is a big one because all of your power off the floor is getting lost in your un-set back.

You’re doing everything else right, just right before you pull, set your back hard, hard, hard. All that power you have will be realized. You may need to lower the weight to practice this unfortunately. But if you practice for a couple weeks it’ll basically fix everything.

Comment

You were in position to pull once the video started so I couldn’t see your set up, but I think you probably did a great job not pushing the bar forward once you brought your shins to it. That’s a big deal. Friggen awesome.

Honestly everything looks fine except for the other big deal: your back. You don’t set your back before you pull and you can actually see it round as the bar comes off the floor. This is a big one because all of your power off the floor is getting lost in your un-set back.

You’re doing everything else right, just right before you pull, set your back hard, hard, hard. All that power you have will be realized. You may need to lower the weight to practice this unfortunately. But if you practice for a couple weeks it’ll basically fix everything.
            I set up slightly closer to the bar and it seemed to help me not bend my knees so much which allows me to keep the hips higher. I noticed the back as well haven't quite figured out how to set the back properly.

One thing i tried to do here as well and maybe I messed that up but I really tried to just leg press it off the floor. I'm not sure I was really pulling right though.

Next week starts a new round of hypertrophy so the weight will end up coming down anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockup View Post

I set up slightly closer to the bar and it seemed to help me not bend my knees so much which allows me to keep the hips higher. I noticed the back as well haven't quite figured out how to set the back properly.

One thing i tried to do here as well and maybe I messed that up but I really tried to just leg press it off the floor. I'm not sure I was really pulling right though.

Next week starts a new round of hypertrophy so the weight will end up coming down anyway.
              Are you able to volitionally contract your back? Some guys aren’t without some cuing.

Yeah I wouldn’t think about leg pressing it up.

Comment

Are you able to volitionally contract your back? Some guys aren’t without some cuing.

I actually saw an Alan Thrall video which showed him doing it and I was going to give it a try this week. I don’t why but until I saw his video it didn’t click as to what I was suppose to be doing.

Comment

I thought this looked a lot better and felt better. Except after 6 reps I was running out of breathe. Don’t think I did a good job of butt up but I really squeezed the back or at least it felt like I did.

Comment

Working...
                  X