Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skewed squat

Hi,

I wonder if someone has an idea what could cause my weird squats. Currently doing a 12wk strength template and filmed quite a lot of squatting. Most if the time (especially on heavier ones) I tend to lean to the right from half way down to the bottom. Earlier this week I did some pause squats which were straight.

- Though the mobility of my left leg differs from the right one (which I am trying to fix), my hips seem fairly okay.
    - I have a slight scoliosis in my upper back, which cause my traps to be more developed at the right. But it doesn't affect my stance in general.

The pictures in the link https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApLBd36RehPggbtq9Jp_fSwc3INcYA show a heavy set 165kg (which is a PR), and two lighter ones, one normal and one paused. The paused one is straight.

Thanks,
    Arthur

In my honest opinion, I don't really think this is a big problem. You are slightly leaned, but some amount of asymmetry is present in all humans and is pretty normal. I think videos of your squats would be more telling if there's any technique issues that you can work on, so I encourage you to post some if you want.

Also, considering your pause squats are fine, I'm not convinced that this is a mobility issue, you may just need to very consciously think about not leaning to the right, focus on pushing with your left leg, and feeling the weight stay mid foot.

Comment

Originally posted by llaffin View Post
      ..., I don't really think this is a big problem. You are slightly leaned, but some amount of asymmetry is present in all humans and is pretty normal.
      I agree with this, i just watched a YT video,...

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	1 Size:	456.6 KB ID:	29524
      If this poor guy would actually have had a coach who told him about his asymmetry, who knows what he would have pulled?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	1 Size:	465.2 KB ID:	29525 Look at this skewed hip,... the poor guy is really lacking some symmetry.

Btw.: He won the event and the 2016 olympics and has set world records and,....

I am not saying your squat is perfect or that you have to have asymmetry to be succesfull ( https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/s...ide-speed.html ) or that you shouldnt work on your technique.

But maybe, just maybe it's not the best idea to overthink things.

Just my 2cents

Comment

Hi llaffin and jab ,

Thanks for the feedback. I added some videos to the link https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApLBd36RehPggbtq9Jp_fSwc3INcYA. Some pause squats I did to day (second last and last set), and the 165kg which looks skewed. Maybe I'm just seeing ghosts, some guys in the gym didn't find it very serious too. The depth could be a thingy but that is relatively easy to fix, because it is just a miscalculation.

Arthur
        Last edited by ArthurR; 01-09-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X