Squat Form Check: Forward bar travel on descent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squat Form Check: Forward bar travel on descent

How can i address this issue? i have tried to sit back and whatever cue i could think of but the bar keeps travelling forward when i come down.
    Please check the video and let me know what am i doing wrong and what cue should i try to correct my form ?

Additon:
    i was not clear. forward travel doesnt mean bar rolls on my back. it stays stable. i meant bar path is not a straight line
    Last edited by barooq; 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM.

Make sure the bar is in correct position on your back if you are trying to low bar squat. I would also focus on the unhinging of the hips first with immediately unlocking your knees after. Then just try and picture keeping your knees at or behind your toes by way of back angle. The more vertical your back, the more forward your knees will want to push and this is where bar positioning on the back comes into play. There's a number of different things that go into the Squat, but I would start by addressing those things. I try and feel as if I am pointing my chest at the floor and squatting into my knees. Video evidence still shows my squat isn't perfect but has come a long way

Comment

i have heard jordan and austin repeatedly say that hips and knee should unlock at the same time and forward knee travel is ok as quads should be used to squat. obviously i will try your cue but i wanted to address specific issue based on the posted video. Do you think bar is misplaced in the video? it stays stable and doesnt roll or anything even when in 5th hard rep my back angle is not stable. Point is, can you be specific based on posted video on what i am doing wrong?

Comment

Yes, I have heard that too which is why I used the word immediately. I focus on it being a split second difference and it works for me. It's tough to tell where exactly the bar is placed on your back, but with trying to keep the bar in balance over the mid-foot, if it's high or low on the back will determine the angle needed in your back to keep the bar positioned correctly throughout the movement, which then can dictate the travel of the knees. If the bar is too high on your back with your back angle being too flat, this can cause the weight to travel forward on the descent.
        Last edited by sj040904; 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

ummm... thanks. hoping a few more guys can pitch in before my next session this saturday will try all the cues

Comment

These look good. Nice squats.

If the bar is too high up on your back, it will travel forward. Really wedge it in there. Your set up may feel slightly uncomfortable, but if it’s tight, that’s what you want.

Only other thing I would cue you to do is keep your knees forward for longer out of the bottom.

Do you use lifting shoes?
            Last edited by tfranc; 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

yes i am wearing romaleos 3. i dont have a video from another angle but i have a picture. lol. set the camera but it fell down before recording the rep so just have picture. can u tell from this whether the bar is high? i feel its low enough but then again i need help as bar keeps travelling forward . btw i have terrible knee pain after squats that is the reason i think form is off in the first place.

Comment

Bar looks high in that picture.

Comment

I would start by not looking at your toes hen you squat. Look a bit further. Try to squat with a more neutral neck position.
                  That will help in keeping the bar from rolling forward when hitting the bottom of the squat.

Knee-pain is mostly a result from increasing training-stress too fast.
                  So, or you increased intensity too fast or volume or both.
                  I don't think your form plays a big role in this.

Comment

bar doesnt roll on my back. i am sorry maybe i was not clear. if you look at video the path is not a straight line thats the issue. thats what i meant with forward bar travel. when coming down the path is not straight line but a slant forward

bar stays in the place throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by sj040904 View Post
                      Bar looks high in that picture.
                      next session i will try to move a little back. that is on saturday and record it

Comment

You should take another video one that isn’t so far away and also if you can get two sets do one from the back side angle .
                        From what can see you need to being your elbows down and squeeze them together . This wil tighten your upper back and stop you from caving forward at the bottle of the lift . Think “ proud chest “
                        I also find that raising ones gaze up / further away helps keeping the chest prouder you want to pick a new stop to star at .

Comment

Originally posted by Rent View Post
                          You should take another video one that isn’t so far away and also if you can get two sets do one from the back side angle .
                          From what can see you need to being your elbows down and squeeze them together . This wil tighten your upper back and stop you from caving forward at the bottle of the lift . Think “ proud chest “
                          I also find that raising ones gaze up / further away helps keeping the chest prouder you want to pick a new stop to star at .
                          Saturday i will record two sets from 2 angles . side and somewhat back . i will post in the same thread. till now cues are
                          1- try to unlock hips first
                          2- see if i can move bar further back
                          3- lift gaze a little up
                          4- squeeze elbows

lol. tbh i didnt think there were this many issues with my squat and other than non vertical path i was pretty happy with the form. That is why thank you and all others. lets see how saturday goes

Comment

I wouldn’t look at it as your squat movement having lots of issues. It looks pretty good overall. The suggestions here are things that could potentially be causing the forward movement on the descent.

Comment

I've struggled with this a LOT. The Bridge 1.0 introduced me to Tempo/paused squats and I'm convinced that they went a long long way in unfucking this problem for me.

I don't know if you are still in an LP so I don't know if it's time to program them in or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X