No announcement yet.

Squat Form Check: Forward bar travel on descent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not on LP but because of knee pain didnt squat for months . weight is only 90kg in the video. 1 rm is only 105kg. Not the time to introduce variation imho.

Comment

update. tried to place bar a bit down. felt harder. here are 2 sets. couldnt record from a back angle. it seems i thought out the cues and basically defaulted to same technique only made it harder lol

set: double at 100kg

https://youtu.be/BUSgvsq75xg

set2: 90kg x 5

https://youtu.be/ro1TILBRSfg

Let me know if u guys see something i am unable to

Comment

Lower the weight a little. I would start with about 75kgx5 or something in that neighborhood. Then concentrate on these things:
        1) when you come out of the bottom, keep the knees forward. Actively think about keeping them where they are for as long as possible. (eventually they will come back anyway )
        2) remember not to look too much down/at your toes. I noticed that when it starts to get heavy you tend to lower you gaze. Your chest collapses more when you do that. (in your video, starting from rep 3.)
        3) Squeez the schouders together and try to push the elbows down a little more. If needed, to a wider grip. That could help in pointing the elbows down a little more.
        4) Ditch THAT belt. I would get a decent belt 10cm wide all around, 10 to 13mm thick. And don't wear it too tight. The belt doesn't keep your core tight, it's you pushing against the belt that does that. When you wear the belt too tight, it very hard to push against it with your abs.

Comment

• barooq
          barooq commented
          Editing a comment
          About the belt, i agree. I have lost 6 inches of my waist in last 6 months so my leather belt has become useless and i am using this a temporary stop gap
          once i am at stable waist i will invest in a belt .
          i am grateful for help from all of you. My issue is, when i tried to implement different cues, i got lost with a bar on my back
          Hence asking for one cue at a time

Originally posted by rho View Post
        1) when you come out of the bottom, keep the knees forward. Actively think about keeping them where they are for as long as possible. (eventually they will come back anyway )
        are u sure?

Comment

• voluntarySquatship
          voluntarySquatship commented
          Editing a comment
          That cue can be used when the lifter is controlling his knees on the way down. OP is not really controlling his knees, gets loose at the bottom and goes too deep. His backwards shift in the knees on the ascent is a result of the form errors stated.

• voluntarySquatship
          voluntarySquatship commented
          Editing a comment

• rho
          rho commented
          Editing a comment
          I see what you mean.
          He lacks control going into the bottom position. The loss of control doesn't start when he comes out of the bottom but much earlier.

about rep 3 onward, actually that was me trying to implement another cue of leaning more forward to bring bar at mid foot as one friend thought i was too upright and bar is behind mid foot.

generally 90x5 is not that heavy but this session because i kept trying different things i think i overthought it and felt very heavy.

I would like to implement one cue a session and record and feedback. if there is one cue i should try what should be it ?

Comment

• rho
          rho commented
          Editing a comment
          Start with it at your first warm-up set. Don't wait until set 2 of your 3 working sets.

• barooq
          barooq commented
          Editing a comment
          done. will try to record. my warm up routine is long as my knees hurt so i tend to warm up a lot with 3x5 bw 3x5 bar and then 2 sets adding 20kg to bar all the way upto work sets.
          i consciously went deeper to get knees working but i will try to stay parallel and report back.
          one thing though, original issue was bar moving forward . cutting depth wont help that but once that is out of the way i can implement other cues

• rho
          rho commented
          Editing a comment
          It will help.
          You loose control at the bottom (due to lack of control during descent ). Cutting dept will add control and decrease the collaps at the bottom. This will help with keeping the bar over mid-foot when you start the ascent.
          Cutting depth does not mean you need to stay above parallel. You just don't need to go as deep as you're doing now.
      Working...
      X