Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sacrifice reps to maintain RPE or sacrifice RPE to maintain reps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrifice reps to maintain RPE or sacrifice RPE to maintain reps?

Still new to RPE so apologies if this is obvious. Say I'm doing a set of 4 reps @ 8, and after the third rep I know that the fourth rep is going to be a 9, would it be better to do the forth rep anway and now the set is 4 @9, or would it be better to finish the set there and count it as 3 @8?

Don't even think about the RPE until you finish the last rep. Then write down what it was even if that's a 9 or a 10.
    Use that to plan your next set (don't need to get a calculator just make rough adjustments).

The prescription of reps and RPE is not an exact science. If you do 4 @ 9 you're not going to have a materially different training effect than [email protected] or [email protected], in case you're worried about that. It's not even a big deal if you regularly get them "wrong". You'll still get the same benefits from training and your ability to judge will improve over time.

Comment

Finish the set if possible regardless of the RPE. If you overshoot, adjust the weight for your next set.

Comment

only thing i would add is that your goal should be to never fail a rep. better to choose a lower starting weight.

if you're accustomed to SSNLP, then you're used to struggling on reps. RPE is designed to make training achievable but still deliver a productive dose of stress. it takes a while to get over feeling like RPE based workouts aren't hard enough. you'll soon acclimate and should enjoy your workouts more.

Comment

Originally posted by sjalbrec View Post
          it takes a while to get over feeling like RPE based workouts aren't hard enough.
          This is super helpful. Thanks!

Comment

First thing is first, recognize that you'll be fine either way as long as this isn't a problem that you're consistently running into. What's 1 rep out of the hundreds of thousands that are to come in your future? The Choice Paradox is a good book to look into if you find yourself constantly torn between choices that are ultimately insignificant. Just make a choice and move on is the gist. There's probably not a "right" answer here, and anytime spent worrying about which choice is correct is likely more detrimental to your overall training outcomes than that 1 rep. Train on my dude.

Comment

I'm definitely still adjusting to the idea that short term training and individual sessions don't actually mean much when it comes to long term training outcomes.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
              X