Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoes for Deadlifting and GPP - The Final Verdict

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shoes for Deadlifting and GPP - The Final Verdict

    Hey all,

    I'm looking for some flat shoes for my deadlifts, which I can also use for GPP (so, probably not those big deadlift boots, but also no slippers).

    Let me hear what you guys are training in or have made good experience with.

    Currently I'm pulling in my CrossFit Lite TR low-cuts, which were designed specifically for deadlifting, but which have been discontinued.

    How about MetCons or Nanos? Are the heels thin and firm enough?

  • #2
    My question is, why have a shoe for gpp and deadlifting?

    For me, I use good ole chuck Taylor’s for deadlifting and the 5.11 cross trainer for gpp days.

    Comment


    • #3
      Depends on what you do for GPP.

      Matcons are fine. Chuck Taylors are fine. Indoor soccer shoes work fine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Indoor soccer shoes get my vote. Cheap, light, wrapping the foot tightly for lateral stability, usually very hard and thin rubber soles with a slightly elevated heel. They are better in every way for lifting and I guess for gpp as well (since they're still soccer shoes after all) compared to the CrossFit Lite TR and certainly the Chucks.

        I only lift in Chucks when I'm on vacation and want them to back up as normal shoes too. But then I usually switch to a hypertrophy type program anyway so I'm not bothered as much by the soft and mushy soles and lack of lateral stability. The CF Lite TRs were a bit better than the Chucks as far as I remember but I can't be bothered to go back to them after discovering indoor soccer shoes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Do you squat in the Indoor Soccer shoes too?

          I'm looking for a backup for my 3 year old Adidas Power Perfect II's which I've been deadlifting in too.
          Forum topics and other links I've found useful

          Comment


          • #6
            I do all my barbell work (including pulls) in squat shoes, except for loaded carries. Those are done outdoors and I don't want to spoil my DoWins, so I switch to sneakers.

            Conventional deadlift with a heeled shoe has slightly better ROM, making it a better exercise for strength/hypertrophy. My deadlift 1RM doesn't matter since I don't compete.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bak2ThaBasix View Post
              My question is, why have a shoe for gpp and deadlifting?

              For me, I use good ole chuck Taylor’s for deadlifting and the 5.11 cross trainer for gpp days.
              I went a similar route as well. Chucks for deads, but a cheap pair of comfortable Nike running shoes for GPP. IIRC I got both at Famous footwear for about $70-80 combined. I love that store.

              The running shoes are so comfy I even wear them on the weekends during the summer.

              Comment


              • #8
                I used to deadlift in an old pair of wrestling shoes. Tried both them and my DoWins. The heal in the DoWins makes it harder for me to judge when my shoulders are behind the bar at the top and may lead to a little over extension there. But I also feel a little more leverage off the floor in my DoWins. It’s totally subjective and I don’t have time to switch shoes so I now just strap on the DoWins regardless.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Serack View Post
                  Do you squat in the Indoor Soccer shoes too?

                  I'm looking for a backup for my 3 year old Adidas Power Perfect II's which I've been deadlifting in too.
                  Yes I squat in them as well but I have to note that I reach depth easily. In fact I had to specifically cut height in weightlifting shoes and I never felt tension when approaching the bottom position. I certainly get a stronger rebound in flats and there's no doubt in my mind that my squat is stronger in flats. Still I only recommend them if you reach depth easily.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jwls View Post
                    Indoor soccer shoes get my vote. Cheap, light, wrapping the foot tightly for lateral stability, usually very hard and thin rubber soles with a slightly elevated heel. They are better in every way for lifting and I guess for gpp as well (since they're still soccer shoes after all) compared to the CrossFit Lite TR and certainly the Chucks.

                    I only lift in Chucks when I'm on vacation and want them to back up as normal shoes too. But then I usually switch to a hypertrophy type program anyway so I'm not bothered as much by the soft and mushy soles and lack of lateral stability. The CF Lite TRs were a bit better than the Chucks as far as I remember but I can't be bothered to go back to them after discovering indoor soccer shoes.
                    I'm considering indoor soccer / futsal shoes now as well. Which ones can you recommend?

                    Jordan seems to be wearing the Nike Davinho, but they seem to have been discontinued.

                    Does anyone know whether the Adidas Sambas would be an option? Are the soles thin and hard enough for deadlifts?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I deadlift in Nano 7s with the insole removed.
                      I read that these are stiffer than many iterations of the nanos, making them good for heavy lifting, possibly a little less good for running.

                      I think they would be fine for movement based stuff though.
                      It's not like they are stiff like a squat shoe.

                      iirc, the height/rise at heel w/ the insole removed is 9/16"
                      4mm drop iirc.
                      I measured by putting tape on my lower leg and marking against a fixed point with shoes on, and off.

                      These are plenty firm for squatting, but i prefer squat shoes.
                      Last edited by Wilhelm; 07-22-2019, 01:03 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The_Toby View Post

                        I'm considering indoor soccer / futsal shoes now as well. Which ones can you recommend?

                        Jordan seems to be wearing the Nike Davinho, but they seem to have been discontinued.

                        Does anyone know whether the Adidas Sambas would be an option? Are the soles thin and hard enough for deadlifts?
                        I think Adidas Sambas would be ok but I don't think their soles are as thin and hard as could be and the shoe is also not as tight fitting or wrapping around the foot as could be. I have some Nike Tiempo somethings. They look neither as cool as the Sambas nor as the Davinhos (don't know how good these are) but they are really perfect for lifting. As I said: thin and super hard soles with slight heel and wrapping the foot tightly... I haven't really looked around for other alternatives, I was just in a store, saw them by accident and knew immediately they would be perfect for lifting and just bought them without having the need. Don't regret that decision .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          These are the ones btw. (different color though):

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	indoor-shoes-nike-tiempo-legendx-7-club-ic-m-ah7245-400-790x790.jpeg?_=1561941106.3769946.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.4 KB ID:	41890

                          Notice that the sole is one piece of rubber (no sandwich with a foam wedge or similar like some do).

                          Also the sole is thinner than it appears as it's kind of molded a little like a cup similar to the plastic heel/cup of weightlifting shoes like the Adipowers. I think the actual sole only reaches up to around 1/2 - 2/3 of the rubber (probably where you can see that edge), the rest just provides some lateral stability and cups your foot. Notice how that rubber "wall" also runs basically around the whole foot, unlike the Adipowers where there's little lateral stability at the front of the foot and the leather usually starts to stretch more and more over time.

                          This for instance are also Nike Tiempos which however do not appear ideal for lifting:
                          - Foam wedge that is probably compressible and too high
                          - No significant cup/wall around the heel

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	SI-NI631283-470-2.jpg?1456231556.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	41891
                          Last edited by jwls; 07-22-2019, 02:29 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Car
                            try these from ebay: sabo deadlift shoes, they are izzy narvaez approved, see his powerlifting to win website for a review. (although i might add, he never did win at powerlifting and he has decided to take drugs now, lol).]
                            I'm noting lots of posts from you simultaneously paying homage to and digging on izzy. His articles evaluating various programs are what got me reading PPfST, and switching from SL5x5 to SS, and I'm glad for that as well as his decent articles defining what to expect for the various competition lifts at an actual competition (not that I expect to ever compete).

                            His work is more derivative than most, but it's also easily accessible and as such I have benefited from it.

                            Citing him for where you get your input can be done justly without also digging on him each and every time.
                            Forum topics and other links I've found useful

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X