Low Bar Squat form check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_E View Post
    *If you're squatting low bar, don't concentrate on staying upright. - you can always just squat high bar if you prefer.

Sorry a little confused - I posted this because I was told initially I was bending over way too much?

Comment

Originally posted by FredM View Post

Disagree with basically everything here.

1. Reset to what? All his videos are LIGHT for him.
      2. If you've ever tried to coach anyone you'd know that "just do it better" after a certain point does nothing.
      3. There's a really good reason guys like Izzy and Mike T program front squats. It's this reason right here. Front squats help Riptonean squats A LOT. It's well documented.
      4. Elbow position is going to be different per individual and doesn't really make or break the squat.
      5. He looks plenty tight.

Pat Hughes what you're calling an @8 is an @7 max. Probably an @6. If technical failure is @6 you probably need a technical intervention. Enter Front Squats.
      Thanks - not sure whose advice to follow, haha! I think I definitely do need to do some front squats regardless of my back squat anyway, as I literally have never done them so will start doing them.

Do you think these are @7 based on bar speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Hughes View Post

Sorry a little confused - I posted this because I was told initially I was bending over way too much?
        That was just in relation to you saying your were concentrating on staying upright and the tendency to high bar a low bar squat.

One cue I found very useful, and not just for squatting, is just to focus on keeping the center of mass centered over the mid foot. It the cure for much bad form.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_E View Post

That was just in relation to you saying your were concentrating on staying upright and the tendency to high bar a low bar squat.

One cue I found very useful, and not just for squatting, is just to focus on keeping the center of mass centered over the mid foot. It the cure for much bad form.
          Thank you Dave

Comment

look 368 percent better than previous; good job. My critique would be to not bring your hips forward at the very end. I also think your squat is a tad too deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Flandaneran View Post
              look 368 percent better than previous; good job. My critique would be to not bring your hips forward at the very end. I also think your squat is a tad too deep.
              Thank you - it did feel deep and I thought it was too deep watching back, so will work on that.

Comment

Davidm you always reset. Always. That is a habit he has to practice no matter what. Always. Not resetting will cause you to rush. What you are doing is getting a breath and tightening up. That is paramount to getting strong.

Comment

Davidm you always reset. Always. That is a habit he has to practice no matter what. Always. Not resetting will cause you to rush. What you are doing is getting a breath and tightening up. That is paramount to getting strong.

Comment

Depth was good. Don’t over think depth Pat Hughes.

Comment

What he was doing was not an Rippetoe squat. Rip teaching hip drive does equate to a horizontal squat. Rip teaches to maintain the back angle, not to let it go horizontally. The hips cue is just for initiating the squat out of the hole that’s it.

Comment

I mean does not equate

Comment

Another quick update on this - worked up to 120kg for [email protected] I think this looks better than previous, though depth may be questionable. Any comments welcome, thanks!

https://youtu.be/HvqhI7vL9Ug
                          Last edited by Pat Hughes; 09-27-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Pat,

I'm a bit late to the party here in this thread, but these look MUCH better than your initial post. Your back angle out of the hole is greatly improved, and you're doing a much better job with the "master cue" of keeping the bar over midfoot. Great work.

You're still letting your hips shoot back a little on the way up to finish the lift, though, but nowhere near the good-morning squat that you were doing before. As other posters have said, you need to drive your hips UP, not back, and drive your chest UP with your hips. One cue that I've used in the past to help keep my hips from shooting back is to "keep knees forward" out of the hole. Sometimes if you get too caught up in thinking "hips up," all your body processes is "hips" and you end up shooting them backwards anyway. Thinking "knees forward" helps take your mind off your hips.

Like a previous poster has suggested, it definitely wouldn't hurt to incorporate some assistance movements that force you to stay more upright and in your quads. This will likely help with some of the issues you have. I do not think your technique is nearly problematic enough to warrant a reset.

I think your depth here is borderline but fine - I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're planning on competing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate B View Post
                              Pat,

I'm a bit late to the party here in this thread, but these look MUCH better than your initial post. Your back angle out of the hole is greatly improved, and you're doing a much better job with the "master cue" of keeping the bar over midfoot. Great work.

You're still letting your hips shoot back a little on the way up to finish the lift, though, but nowhere near the good-morning squat that you were doing before. As other posters have said, you need to drive your hips UP, not back, and drive your chest UP with your hips. One cue that I've used in the past to help keep my hips from shooting back is to "keep knees forward" out of the hole. Sometimes if you get too caught up in thinking "hips up," all your body processes is "hips" and you end up shooting them backwards anyway. Thinking "knees forward" helps take your mind off your hips.

Like a previous poster has suggested, it definitely wouldn't hurt to incorporate some assistance movements that force you to stay more upright and in your quads. This will likely help with some of the issues you have. I do not think your technique is nearly problematic enough to warrant a reset.

I think your depth here is borderline but fine - I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're planning on competing.
                              Thank you Nate appreciate the response and the tips - I'm currently running PowerBuilding I, the second half has the option of front squats so will be getting much more in. Glad I don't need a reset, that's reassuring. Many thanks!

Comment

Hi there - checking in on my form after making some adjustments, want to ensure I'm still on the right track. Have managed to up the weight, this is [email protected] with 130kg, any comments much appreciated

https://youtu.be/-gZUz3x67p4

Comment

Working...
                                X