5/13/21

Fourth Cycle Week Three - reps/sets

Deadlift - 70kg 5*3, 120kg 3*3, 140kg 2*3, 160kg *2, 170kg / 180kg *1
    Big Wheel Pulls - 178kg 5*2
    Dumbbell Hip Thrust - 90lbs 15*3
    Face Pulls slow eccentric - 28kg 12*3
    Single Arm High Row - 24kg 10*3
    Leg Extn - 70kg 10*5

Well, we were able to put the bar on the floor and pull without any pain, though I would have liked to get a little more thoracic extension...but I can work on that.

Gonna have a conversation with my coach about Natls: are we in a position to show some progress from Mayhem in January? If he thinks we can get some good work in over the next few weeks, and be in a position to surprise ourselves, I'll book my flights.

I'm not where I'd like to be, but I wasn't in January either. I have no expectations of a repeat of the showing in Chicago, but I would like to start to re-build my total...starting with Daytona.

Leave a comment:

• KIAAAAAA
    commented on 's reply
    https://bit.ly/3uMaPJb check out our new miracle

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/12/21

Fourth Cycle Week Three - rep/sets

Bench - 50kg 5*3, 60kg 3*3, 70kg 2*3, 80kg *2, 87.5kg 1*2, 94kg *1
    Down Sets - 80kg 5*2
    Close Grip Spoto - 70kg 5*3
    Single Arm Dumbbell Incline - 60lbs 8*3
    LTE/Curlz - 32.5kg *10, 37.5kg *10, 42.5kg *8/10
    Tri Pulldowns - 30kg 10*3
    Curlz - 42.5kg 10*3
    Overhead Tri Extension - 20kg 10*3
    Curlz - 42.5kg 10*3

Not a bad session, but in my haste I forgot to pause 94kg...
    Overshot the down sets and close grip. I need to reign myself in.
    Pushed the assistance work, and got an Single Arm Dumbbell Incline PR...oooh baby.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Great success...vera nahce!

Seriously though, I checked off two big boxes tonight
    :

Very good to hear! I'm looking forward to tuning in to the Nationals.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/10/21

Fourth Cycle Week Three - rep/sets

Squat to Box (18") - 60kg 5*4, 80kg 5*3, 95kg 3*2, 105kg 2*2, 115kg 1*2, 125 / 132.5kg *1
    Down Sets - 105kg 5*3
    Belt Squat - 60kg 5*3
    Kettlebells RDL/Mid Row - 32kg's 8*4
    Single Leg RDL - 90lbs 10*3
    Oblique Rotations - 16kg 10*3
    Leg Ext (3 count eccentric) - 50kg 10*3

Great success...vera nahce!

Seriously though, I checked off two big boxes tonight:

1) Down to Squat Depth
    2) Able to handle increased load with no pain...none.

Thursday will be the final hurdle to clear:

1) Can I put the bar on the floor?
    and/or
    2) Can I handle / move a heavy single above 200kg without issues?

...stay tuned!

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/8/21

Fourth Cycle Week Two - rep/sets

Squat to Box (20") - 50kg 5*4, 60kg 583, 70kg 3*3, 80kg 3*2, 90kg 2*2, 100kg *2, 110kg 5*3
    3 count Paused Bench - 77.5kg / 75kg / 72.5kg *4
    Pistols/Single Leg Hip Thrust - bw/50lbs 10*3
    Neutral Grip Pulldown - 144kg 10*3
    Leg Extn - 60kg 10*5

Still working to rehab this adductor. Sets went well, though the last few reps of the last set got the adductor a little cranky. The cooldown between the Squats and the Pistols made the first set of Pistols eye opening...single leg work like this really put a strain on the adductor. Once warmed up, it was better, but still sore...grrrrrr.

I overshot the first set up the Bench...badly, second set was just about right, and 72.5kg was too light.

Next week has to show some real progress with this adductor issue. Either I can really load it up, or I can get back to "normal" positions on the Squat and Deadlift. If I can't do any of those, I don't see a way that I'm going to be ready for Daytona in four weeks.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/6/21

Big Wheel Pulls - 83kg 5*4, 113kg 5*3, 133kg 3*3, 153kg 3*2, 173kg *2, 188kg 1*2, 200kg *1
    Down Sets - 173kg 5*2
    Dumbbell Hip Thrusts - 80lbs 15*3
    Face Pulls slow out - 26kg 12*3
    Single Arm Hi Row 24kg 10*3
    Leg Extn - 60kg 20*3

Best session in a while: set up on point, no pain, no fatigue. If things keep improving through the next week, I hope to get the bar back on the floor or close to it.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by slowmotion View Post
    Damn, that a lot of triceps work in one day!
    Working desperately to grow these spaghetti arms

Leave a comment:

• slowmotion
    replied
    Damn, that a lot of triceps work in one day!

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/5/21

Bench - 50kg 5*3, 2*2 / 60kg 5*2, 2*2 / 70kg 3*3, 1*2 / 80kg 2*2, 1*2 / 87.5kg 1*2 / 93kg *1
    Down Sets - 77.5kg 5*2
    Close Grip Spoto - 67.5kg 5*3
    Single Arm Incline Press - 50lbs 8*3
    LTE / Curlz - 30/35/40kg *10
    Tri Pulldowns - 28kg 10*3
    EZ Bar Curlz - 40kg 10*3
    Overhead Tri Extensions - 20kg 10*3
    Palof Press - 18kg 15*3

With all this low bar Squatting, my right shoulder is a bit tired, and it showed up today for the first time in a long while. The single at 93kg was grindy. Surprised me it did...everything up till that point moved really nicely.

Cold day in the gym, as coach had every f'n door in the place open. Froze my ass off!

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Hahaha yep that was Nickel City's Strongest at Riverworks, 2018 I was judging the men's novice class and 2019 I was competing...

And yeah man Ryan is a trip lol, sounds like odds are at some point you and I will inevitably be in the same place at the same time hahaha

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by mouse View Post
    Ahhhh ok Carley's place... I'm familiar though I've never been. I was wondering if we've ever accidentally crossed paths, a few of the contests I've done have been side by side with powerlifting meets.

I'm like 98.9% out of my garage because of where I live. Would the superheavy you mention be named Ryan? If so, I was competing in the open 242's at the first contest he did and literally trained with him last weekend. I will occasionally drop by to train at Iron & Stone over in Akron, they do event days on Saturdays... if you ever get the urge to lift rocks hahaha...
    Yup, you got it: Carley's House of Strong Women (and the rest of us mortals)

The only place I've seen Strongman and Powerlifting together was a couple of years ago at the Eat Rite festival down at Riverworks. I wasn't lifting that day, but did some photography and spotting for Carley.

Ryan is indeed our resident "strongman". Great guy, great hype man on meet day...

Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass. Got my hands full just trying to get back my mojo injury free these days.

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Ahhhh ok Carley's place... I'm familiar though I've never been. I was wondering if we've ever accidentally crossed paths, a few of the contests I've done have been side by side with powerlifting meets.

I'm like 98.9% out of my garage because of where I live. Would the superheavy you mention be named Ryan? If so, I was competing in the open 242's at the first contest he did and literally trained with him last weekend. I will occasionally drop by to train at Iron & Stone over in Akron, they do event days on Saturdays... if you ever get the urge to lift rocks hahaha...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by mouse View Post
    Where are you training out of if you don't mind me asking...
    That was where I was going with my inquiry...and then I realized that you train mostly for Strongman.

I train out of Mustache Fitness and Barbell over on Kenmore (just off Vulcan).

The gym is pretty tricked out for Oly lifters and Powerlifters...not so much for Strongman. We do have one Superheavy who competes in Strongman, but he splits his time between Mustache and his home set-up.

All that said, stop by...it might be a great alternative.

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Where are you training out of if you don't mind me asking...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X