• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/8/21

Fourth Cycle Week Two - rep/sets

Squat to Box (20") - 50kg 5*4, 60kg 583, 70kg 3*3, 80kg 3*2, 90kg 2*2, 100kg *2, 110kg 5*3
    3 count Paused Bench - 77.5kg / 75kg / 72.5kg *4
    Pistols/Single Leg Hip Thrust - bw/50lbs 10*3
    Neutral Grip Pulldown - 144kg 10*3
    Leg Extn - 60kg 10*5

Still working to rehab this adductor. Sets went well, though the last few reps of the last set got the adductor a little cranky. The cooldown between the Squats and the Pistols made the first set of Pistols eye opening...single leg work like this really put a strain on the adductor. Once warmed up, it was better, but still sore...grrrrrr.

I overshot the first set up the Bench...badly, second set was just about right, and 72.5kg was too light.

Next week has to show some real progress with this adductor issue. Either I can really load it up, or I can get back to "normal" positions on the Squat and Deadlift. If I can't do any of those, I don't see a way that I'm going to be ready for Daytona in four weeks.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/6/21

Big Wheel Pulls - 83kg 5*4, 113kg 5*3, 133kg 3*3, 153kg 3*2, 173kg *2, 188kg 1*2, 200kg *1
    Down Sets - 173kg 5*2
    Dumbbell Hip Thrusts - 80lbs 15*3
    Face Pulls slow out - 26kg 12*3
    Single Arm Hi Row 24kg 10*3
    Leg Extn - 60kg 20*3

Best session in a while: set up on point, no pain, no fatigue. If things keep improving through the next week, I hope to get the bar back on the floor or close to it.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by slowmotion View Post
    Damn, that a lot of triceps work in one day!
    Working desperately to grow these spaghetti arms

Leave a comment:

• slowmotion

• slowmotion
    replied
    Damn, that a lot of triceps work in one day!

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/5/21

Bench - 50kg 5*3, 2*2 / 60kg 5*2, 2*2 / 70kg 3*3, 1*2 / 80kg 2*2, 1*2 / 87.5kg 1*2 / 93kg *1
    Down Sets - 77.5kg 5*2
    Close Grip Spoto - 67.5kg 5*3
    Single Arm Incline Press - 50lbs 8*3
    LTE / Curlz - 30/35/40kg *10
    Tri Pulldowns - 28kg 10*3
    EZ Bar Curlz - 40kg 10*3
    Overhead Tri Extensions - 20kg 10*3
    Palof Press - 18kg 15*3

With all this low bar Squatting, my right shoulder is a bit tired, and it showed up today for the first time in a long while. The single at 93kg was grindy. Surprised me it did...everything up till that point moved really nicely.

Cold day in the gym, as coach had every f'n door in the place open. Froze my ass off!

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Hahaha yep that was Nickel City's Strongest at Riverworks, 2018 I was judging the men's novice class and 2019 I was competing...

And yeah man Ryan is a trip lol, sounds like odds are at some point you and I will inevitably be in the same place at the same time hahaha

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by mouse View Post
    Ahhhh ok Carley's place... I'm familiar though I've never been. I was wondering if we've ever accidentally crossed paths, a few of the contests I've done have been side by side with powerlifting meets.

I'm like 98.9% out of my garage because of where I live. Would the superheavy you mention be named Ryan? If so, I was competing in the open 242's at the first contest he did and literally trained with him last weekend. I will occasionally drop by to train at Iron & Stone over in Akron, they do event days on Saturdays... if you ever get the urge to lift rocks hahaha...
    Yup, you got it: Carley's House of Strong Women (and the rest of us mortals)

The only place I've seen Strongman and Powerlifting together was a couple of years ago at the Eat Rite festival down at Riverworks. I wasn't lifting that day, but did some photography and spotting for Carley.

Ryan is indeed our resident "strongman". Great guy, great hype man on meet day...

Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll pass. Got my hands full just trying to get back my mojo injury free these days.

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Ahhhh ok Carley's place... I'm familiar though I've never been. I was wondering if we've ever accidentally crossed paths, a few of the contests I've done have been side by side with powerlifting meets.

I'm like 98.9% out of my garage because of where I live. Would the superheavy you mention be named Ryan? If so, I was competing in the open 242's at the first contest he did and literally trained with him last weekend. I will occasionally drop by to train at Iron & Stone over in Akron, they do event days on Saturdays... if you ever get the urge to lift rocks hahaha...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by mouse View Post
    Where are you training out of if you don't mind me asking...
    That was where I was going with my inquiry...and then I realized that you train mostly for Strongman.

I train out of Mustache Fitness and Barbell over on Kenmore (just off Vulcan).

The gym is pretty tricked out for Oly lifters and Powerlifters...not so much for Strongman. We do have one Superheavy who competes in Strongman, but he splits his time between Mustache and his home set-up.

All that said, stop by...it might be a great alternative.

Leave a comment:

• mouse
    replied
    Where are you training out of if you don't mind me asking...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/3/21

Fourth Cycle - Week Three reps/sets

Squat to Box - 70kg 5*4, 90kg 5*3, 105kg 3*2, 115kg *1, 122.5kg *1
    S2B - 105kg 5*3
    Kettlebell RDL to Mid Row - 28kg 8*4
    Single Leg RDL - 40kg 10*3
    Oblique Rotation - 14kg 10*3
    Leg Extensions - 50kg 20*3

Lots to look at:

1) Adductor held up nicely at 122.5kg, though it still made itself known. Down sets went ok as well.

b) I had my 1 year anniversary of completing prostate cancer treatments with a check up today, my PSA numbers continue to drop towards negligible. The trend is your friend, as they say in the financial world.

iii) I learned a bit more about the effects of the hormone deprivation therapy I was put on. The doctors asked about my training, and how it was going. I filled them in on my precipitous drop off a cliff starting back last October. I let them know about the numerous strains and pulls I've been experiencing over the last 6 months.
    For the first time they admitted that the everything I've been experiencing is to be expected...as the effects of the hormone deprivation last longer than the warnings on the box say (especially for a "strength athlete"), and effect the larger muscles of your legs, more than your upper body muscles. So the strains and pulls are directly attributable to cancer treatments, not programming or me taking a turn for the worse...yeah I've been catastrophizing a bit the past few month.

I wash I "knew" about this earlier in the process. It would have saved me beating my head against a wall trying to figure out where it all went wrong these past 6-7 months. This new found knowledge allows me to re-frame my recent training experiences as well, and that's a really good thing!

I don't know if this will make enough of a difference to get me ready for Natls in Daytona, but I'm in a better frame of mind. Now if the adductor can come around fully...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/1/21

Fourth Cycle - Week Two reps/sets

Squat to Box (20") - 105kg 5*2
    3 Count Paused Bench - 75kg 4*2
    Pistols / Single Leg Hip Thrust - bw/20kg 10*3
    Neutral Grip Pulldown - 130lbs 10*3
    IYTs - 5kg 10*4
    Leg Extn. - 40kg 30*3

Played some Squash for the first time in 15 months last night. Played an hour or so, had fun, drank beer, and had a lot of laughs. The knee held up pretty well, and I was able to train today without any restrictions (save the adductor issue, which didn't bother me on the court).

Squats to the Box were just what the doctor ordered. Right height, weight and range of motion that kept me just on the outside of the adductor being a problem.

Bench was supposed to be an rpe8, but it might have been a 9 on the last set...it was close.

And I think I know where the adductor issue came from: Pistols! It's a novel movement, and I might have overdone it the first week they were in the program, building up fatigue that I was unaware of. Trying to do them today was a no go without using a crutch to take some of the load off this single leg movement.

I must say that I'm really happy to have been able to play some Squash and train on back to back days and not have my knee go pear shaped on me. My lack of "athleticism" due to my knee issues has been weighing on me. I needed a day like yesterday to reframe my "issues"...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    4/29/21

Big Wheel Pulls - 83kg 7*3, 123kg 5*3, 153kg 3*2, 173kg *2, 188kg *1, 200kg X
    Down Sets - 163kg 5*2
    Dumbbell Hip Thrusts - 70lbs 15*3
    Face Pulls slow eccentric - 24kg 12*3
    Single Arm Hi Row - 20kg 10*3
    Planks - 60sec *3
    Leg Ext - 60kg 20*3

A bit of a mixed bag today. I wasn't sure how the adductor would hold up, and my lower back was still not 100%.

188kg felt great. Set up was as close to normal as I've been able to manufacture in a long time. Good drive through the floor and I rate it about a rpe7. 200kg was not to be as the adductor made it's self known...shut down the pull before it caused any damage.

Down sets were just fine, and not aggravating to the adductor. I dropped the weight as well to keep my lower back happy.

I've built up a lot of fatigue due to my knee issue keeping me from being able to use my legs, so every pull has pretty much all back up till now. Additionally, my sleep has sucked the past few weeks...and that's not helping recovery.

I chose to be positive about where my training is at the moment. I'm not where I'd like to be, but I'm not that far away either. Get me past the pains and strains, and I'm good to go...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150

• gymdad150
    replied
    4/28/21

Bench - 50kg 10*3, 60kg 7*2, 70kg 5*2, 77.5kg *3, 85kg 1*2, 92kg *1
    Bench - 75kg 5*2
    Close Grip Spoto - 65kg 5*3
    Single Arm Dumbbell Incline - 50lbs 8*3
    LTE/Curlz - 40kg 8/10*3
    Tri Push Downs - 28kg 10*3
    Curls - 40kg 10*3
    Overhead Tri Extensions - 18kg 10*3
    Palof Press - 16kg 15*3

Trying hard to get my mind to frame the Bench movement as "fast". I was...until I wasn't at 92kg. Had issue with my foot slipping. Something that hasn't been a issue for a long time...grrrrr.

Saw our inhouse PT guys today. What ever is going on in the Quad/Adductor is not serious, but will require that I squat to a high box for the next few sessions...and probably close up the stance a tad as well.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Tweaked what appears to be my left adductor on a warm up set of three at 110kg. I say adductor because belt squats and leg extensions posed no problems...therefore not a quad issue.
    Sheesh. Hope it takes care of itself quickly. it's weird, but I think most of my tweaks have occurred during warm-ups.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X