No announcement yet.

Still On The Right Side Of The Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's great that your training is going so well.

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post
      It's great that your training is going so well.
      Just one foot in front of the other...

Comment

• 1/9/20

#kickcancerinthedick reps/sets

Cycle 2

Bench - 72.5kg 8*3
        Spoto Bench - 60kg 8*4

HB Squat - 90kg 10*3
        Pendley Row - 70kg 10*3
        Dumbbell Incline Bench - 50lbs 10*3

First Hi Bar work in ages. It's like I forgot how to do the damn things. Other than that, a goodly amount of work and I handled it OK.

Oh, and my weight is back over 200lbs for the first time since Raw Natls...hurrah!
        Last edited by gymdad150; 01-10-2020, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• 1/11/20

Cycle 2

Deadlift - 170kg 5*3
          Wagon Wheel Deadlift - 150kg 5*4

Bench - 65kg 8*3
          Press - 47.5kg 4*3
          Reverse Fly - 30lbs 10*3
          IYT - 10lbs 10*3

It was a little heavier than I expected, but the last set felt better than the first...maybe I didn't warm up enough...it's possible.

My weight has jumped in the last week, about 7 lbs. I'm a hard gainer, so this is quite unexpected. I checked in with Austin, and he informed me that this is to be expected considering the treatment regimen I'm on. Most people experience a gain in fat, and a loss of lean body mass...FML. I'll need to start a food diary, and really dial in my macros. That, and be as diligent as possible with my training.

Other than that, it was a good session...a lot of fun, as the gym was packed with people getting ready for a local meet in early February.

Comment

• 1/13/20

Cycle 2

SBS - 115kg 7*3
            Tempo SBS - 85kg 5*5
            Belt Squat - 75kg 10*4

Dumbbell Press - 35lbs 10*3
            Pendlay Rows - 80kg 10*3

Found myself a little lightheaded at the start of the top sets. This has been going on for a few weeks now. My breathing and bracing are fairly on point, so this dizziness is bothersome. Just one more side effect of the treatment regimen.

Comment

• 1/16/20

Cycle 2

Bench - 72.5kg 8*3 same weight as last week..I'm tired. The reps were faster though
              Spoto - 62.5kg 8*4
              High Bar Squat - 85kg 10*3 less weight than last week, legs were dead...too much cardio last night

Dumbbell Incline Bench - 50lbs 10*3
              Pendlay Row - 70kg 10*3

This was the first session where I had to back off weight on the bar. Lots of stress in my life since Monday. Court proceedings with the Bride yesterday, and I'm staring at the start of radiation treatments tomorrow. Sleep has been virtually non existent. I'm a walking zombie...I can't remember where I parked my car in the morning. Mentally I'm in a fog.

Deep breaths...deep breaths...

Comment

• Deep breaths and know that we're thinking about you.

Comment

• 1/18/20

Cycle 2
                  Deadlift - 180kg 5*3
                  Wagon Wheel Deads - 155kg 5*4
                  Bench - 67.5kg 8*3
                  Press - 50kg 4*3

Better day than Thursday. Last top set was a bit more than #8, but I'm pushing when and where I can.

Press actually felt good...for the first time in EVER.

I caught one of the BBM vlogs last night where Jordan touched on training with cancer. It drove home the fact that I need to be upping the amount of protein I'm getting daily...125-150 grams isn't gonna cut it. I need to be upwards of 200 grams. Protein shakes, here.I.come.

Comment

• Impressive deadlift, as always. Interesting note too about the protein requirements. I'll have to check out that video.

Comment

• 1/21/20

Cycle 2

SBS - 100kg 7*3
                      Tempo SBS - 70kg 5*5
                      Belt Squat - 60kg 10*4
                      Reverse Fly - 35lbs 10*3
                      Dumbbell Press - 35lbs 10*3

Another birthday in the books, officially 65 as of yesterday. A year ago I was Squatting 150kg for reps. Today...not so much.

Today was the worst day of this cancer journey to date. My sleep is so disrupted, I'm a zombie. My wind is shot. Seriously, even the Dumbbell Press had me huffing and puffing.

I was supposed to have Squatted the top sets at 120kg. I got two reps in, and was so lightheaded I had to rack the bar. Even getting out of a chair is causing me issues with lightheadedness. As you can see, I had to drop the weight considerably to be able to Squat with a clear head. If this continues, it's going to put a ceiling on how hard I can push things.

Saw the docs who are handling my case last Friday. They're thrilled I'm feeling so shitty. In their words, it means the treatments to date are doing exactly what they're supposed to.

My coach isn't concerned, he just wants me to get in reps, regardless of the weight on the bar. I'm sure Austin will say the same thing when he gets back to me.

Still, I'm a little pissed / disappointed in this bump in the road.

Comment

• Another birthday in the books, officially 65 as of yesterday. A year ago I was Squatting 150kg for reps. Today...not so much.
                        Belated happy birthday! You're almost exactly a year younger than I am. My birthday is in 2 weeks. And next year you'll be back to 150kg and beyond, no doubt.

Still, I'm a little pissed / disappointed in this bump in the road.
                        I don't think many people would be hitting the gym the way you do in these circumstances. Not sure I could. Your log is inspiring.

Comment

• 1/23/20

Cycle 2

Bench - 165lbs 8*3
                          Spoto Bench - 145lbs 8*4
                          High Bar Squat - 190lbs 10*3

Short session, at another gym. No dizziness on the Bench...#whaaaaat

High Bar was not quite a shit show, but damn is my wind horrible.

Comment

• 1/25/20

Cycle 2

Deadlift - 150kg 5*3
                            Wagon Wheel Deads - 130kg 5*4
                            Bench - 70kg 8*3
                            Press - 51kg 4*3
                            Reverse Fly - 40lbs 10*3
                            IYT - 15lbs 10*3

Worst day of training EVER...

This hormone blocker I'm on is wreaking havoc physically and emotionally. I got slapped on the face with the realization that I'm not gonna breeze right through this process...I'm losing strength, my conditioning is shit, and I'm way too tired.

My docs warned me that all the above would happen. What they didn't warn me about was how overly emotional I'd get.

I was in tears when I couldn't pull more than 150kg today. Take my Squat...take my Bench...but don't take my Deads. It kicked me right in the gut.

Lord, get me to the other side of this treatment program...

Comment

• I was in tears when I couldn't pull more than 150kg today. Take my Squat...take my Bench...but don't take my Deads. It kicked me right in the gut.

You'll get there. Your deadlift isn't gone; it's just hibernating, waiting for the spring. It doesn't seem all that long ago when I was very proud to be pulling more than 300 pounds. And here you are, doing more than that for multiple sets despite it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
                                1/25/20

Cycle 2

Deadlift - 150kg 5*3
                                Wagon Wheel Deads - 130kg 5*4
                                Bench - 70kg 8*3
                                Press - 51kg 4*3
                                Reverse Fly - 40lbs 10*3
                                IYT - 15lbs 10*3

Worst day of training EVER...

This hormone blocker I'm on is wreaking havoc physically and emotionally. I got slapped on the face with the realization that I'm not gonna breeze right through this process...I'm losing strength, my conditioning is shit, and I'm way too tired.

My docs warned me that all the above would happen. What they didn't warn me about was how overly emotional I'd get.

I was in tears when I couldn't pull more than 150kg today. Take my Squat...take my Bench...but don't take my Deads. It kicked me right in the gut.

Gymdad,
                                I'm a cancer survivor going on 8 years now. I happened on your thread and hope I'm not "butting in," but I did want to offer some support. Getting through treatment is rough, but you are absolutely doing the right thing by keeping up your exercise. It makes a difference to prognosis. Your body is already doing a load of work in repairing healthy cells, etc. so I think that is it perfectly fair to add that to whatever your iron load is. IOW, you're not lifting less, you just can't see all the internal load you're lifting that doesn't show on the end of the bar. Treatment does really stink, but it will eventually be behind you, and then you can start to see new gainzzz again. Butting out now. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X