Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Naturegirl View Post

Gymdad,
    I'm a cancer survivor going on 8 years now. I happened on your thread and hope I'm not "butting in," but I did want to offer some support. Getting through treatment is rough, but you are absolutely doing the right thing by keeping up your exercise. It makes a difference to prognosis. Your body is already doing a load of work in repairing healthy cells, etc. so I think that is it perfectly fair to add that to whatever your iron load is. IOW, you're not lifting less, you just can't see all the internal load you're lifting that doesn't show on the end of the bar. Treatment does really stink, but it will eventually be behind you, and then you can start to see new gainzzz again. Butting out now. Best wishes.
    Naturegirl,

No worries, glad to have your perspective on this. I appreciate any, and all support these days!

Comment

• 1/27/20

#kickcancerinthedick reps/sets

Cycle 2

SBS - 205lbs 7*3
      Tempo SBS - 185lbs 5*5
      Belt Squat - 50kgs 10*4

Reverse Fly - 40lbs 10*3
      Dumbbell Press - 40lbs 10*3

Well, after consulting (some more) with my coach and Austin, I've come to the hard realization that I'm not gonna perform like I want to perform...even more than I thought. We'll probably play around with some new and novel exercises next cycle. More than anything, I simply need to re-set what I think should be on the bar.

The cumulative effects of this androgen deprivation program becomes more pronounced by the day. I can only guess at what radiation is going to do.

So, weight on the bar doesn't matter. Get the reps in. Live to fight another day...

Oh, and tomorrow they place the markers. Going right through the TAINT! I hate needles, especially big needles, and I really hate pain. Gonna be an interesting 18 hours or so.
      Last edited by gymdad150; 01-28-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Owwww...

Not the experience they said it would be

That said, we're done with the invasive shit for now.

Computer mapping next Monday, and then radiation starts about a 10 days later.

And yes, my taint HURTS!

Comment

• I was thinking about you yesterday and glad you got through it and you've got a bit of a break before radiation.

Comment

• And yes, my taint HURTS!
            Good thing you're used to some serious physical stress (i.e. those massive deadlifts...)

Comment

• #kickcancerinthedick reps/sets

Cycle 2

Bench - 72.5kg *8, *7, *6, *4
              Spoto Bench - 62.5kg 8*4
              Hi Bar Squat - 80kg 10*3

Pendlay Rows - 70kg 10*3
              Dumbbell Incline Bench - 50lbs 10*3

Doing what we can, with what we have at the moment.

#anyrepsaregoodreps

Comment

• 2/1/20

Cycle 2

Deadlift - 160kg 5*3
                Wagonwheel Deads - 140kg 5*4
                Bench - 71kg 8*3
                Press - 51.5kg 4*3

Forgot my pre-workout, and I thought I was cooked. The day turned out OK in spite of it. Got more done than last Saturday...yay me!

Comment

• Got more done than last Saturday...yay me!
                  That's great to hear. And not to shabby, adding 22 pounds to your deadlift in one week.

Comment

• 2/3/20

Cycle 3

HBS paused - 90kg 5*5
                    Tempo SBS - 70kg 6*4
                    Goblet Squats - 20kg 15*4

Sled pushes - 60kg 4 d&b
                    Cable Flys #4 10*4

So we've switched up our focus (on Austin's advice). As I'm having issues with my strength regressing due to the cancer treatments, we're trying new/novel movements that I can't measure against competition lifts. Mission accomplished as I have no idea how to correlate today's work to a competition Squat.

Anything to keep me out of my head for the next few months.

Additionally, it was fun.

Comment

• So we've switched up our focus (on Austin's advice). As I'm having issues with my strength regressing due to the cancer treatments, we're trying new/novel movements that I can't measure against competition lifts. Mission accomplished as I have no idea how to correlate today's work to a competition Squat.
                      What a great and smart approach to training.

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

What a great and smart approach to training.
                        Anything to keep me positive during an extremely trying time. I truly didn't think it would be such a struggle mentally.

Comment

• 2/5/20

Cycle 3

Spoto Bench - 65kg 5*5
                          Close Grip Bench - 55kg 10*3
                          Tempo HBS - 85kg 5*5

Dumbbell Bench - 50llbs 10*4
                          Chins - bw 8*4
                          Kroc Rows - 70lbs 10*4

Lot's of work, appropriately challenging.

I'm feeling a bit blue about not being able to compete in a big local meet this weekend. Everyone is peaking for this meet, or The Arnold in a few weeks, and the energy levels are commensurately high in the gym. I WANNA PLAY TOO!

Comment

• I WANNA PLAY TOO!
                            When you are ready to play again I bet your workouts will seem easy compared with the hard work you're putting in now while dealing with the radiation therapy.

Comment

• 2/6/20

Cycle 3

RDLs - 140kg 8*3
                              Deficit Deads - 120kg 5*3
                              Wide Grip Larsen Bench - 70kg 6*4
                              Press - 49kg 5*5

Would have liked to have waited another day before training, but the gym is closed Friday afternoon, and all day Saturday and Sunday for Mustache Mayhem: Weightlifting / Powerlifting / SuperTotal

Gonna watch both days to support teammates and my former training partner who's gone to the dark side (weightlifting).

Comment

• Nice workout. How was the Mustache Mayhem weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X