Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    More nice, solid work, Chas. Interesting account of your acupuncture treatment. How did you connect with him?

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    6/4/22

2nd Cycle / Week Four - reps/sets

Squat -
    Dead legs, I spent to much time on the golf range the day previous. Singles at 140/150kg; down sets @120kg 4*3. Rows and single leg work for assistance. I suppose it's nice I can move 150kg when heavily fatigued.

Bench -
    Picked up a niggle in my left shoulder (come join the fun) warming up. Singles @ 92.5/95k; down sets @ 82.5kg 4*4; Spoto @ 70kg 8*4. Had to cut the assistance work short as LTEs and Curls really made my shoulder unhappy.

Deadlift -
    Singles @ 185/195kg; down sets @ 165kg 4*3; Spoto 87.5kg 3*3. Rows didn't feel good so I cut them short. Seeing the Acupuncturist Friday. Single leg work as always to finish the day.

Accupuncturist Appt -
    My guy is a wizard with the needles. He was able to palpate the problem spots that I had ID'd on Wednesday. Many needles w/ electrostim later, the shoulder felt much better. I had him look at my left hand / middle finger as well. He buried a couple of needles up to the hilt in each side of the finger, at the base of the palm...think Wolverine and Adamantium blades. I'm not terribly good with needles to begin with. Watching him work, took me to a whole other level of queasiness. Never the less, I persevered...

SBD Saturday -
    I had quite a good day today, totally unexpected. Though I was fired up prior to hitting the gym. I had received an email from a grade school classmate that was very thoughtful, and totally on point with my life under the bar. So, yeah...I was pumped up. You just never know who's following your journey in life and has an appreciation for what your doing. I have a reunion in a few weeks with these guys, and this fellow is gonna get a big hug from me.

Anyway: Squats felt as good as they ever have when walking them out and setting up. 3 Singles @ 150kg, they moved slowly but I'm built for torque not horsepower. Bench felt great as well, 3 singles at 90kg, tempo paused. I haven't felt as comfortable and confident under the bar at this weight EVER. Big Wheel Pulls moved nicely, 3 singles @ 203kg. The work the Acupuncturist did paid off, as my hand felt much improved over the past few weeks.

My gym has a goodly number of folks taking part in Mega Natls this coming week. It's a strange feeling to have your teammates go off to this competition, and not be going with them...both to compete and cheer them on. This will be the first one I've missed since 2017. Everyone has had great training blocks, I can't wait to see what numbers they put up.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/28/22

2nd Cycle / Week Three sets/reps

Squat - Hit a Single at 150kg, and got a little grab in my left Quad, just enough for me to call it a day. Down sets @ 120/130kg *4, quad was able to handle this load without an issue; Bench work and Kroc Rows; and as always - lots of single leg work, with Copenhagen Planks.

Bench - Singles at 87.5 / 95kg; Down sets 85kg 4*2; Spoto 75kg 8*3; 3 Board 85/90/95.97.5 *1, 95*1, 90*2, 85*3, 80*5*2; Dumbbell Bench 60lbs 8*4, Tri's and Bi's work. Good single at 95, coach thought it was a slow single, but I really liked it's momentum all through the concentric phase.

Deadlift - Singles at 195 / 205kg; down sets 160kg 4*3; Spoto 85kg 3*3; 3 Board 85/90/95/97.5kg *1, 95*1, 90*2, 85*4. And that was that. I got an abdominal cramp that would not let go and couldn't do much of anything but flail about, trying to get my shoes and socks off. The single at 205 was slow, but never in doubt.

Conditioning Friday - didn't happen, extremely fatigued.

SBD Saturday - Tempo Down Squat 145kg 1*3; Tempo Pause Bench 87.5kg 1*3; 3 Board 85/90/95/100kg *1, 102.5kg; Big Wheel Pulls 198kg 1*3; Dumbbell Bench 60lbs 8*3, Straight Bar Curlz eb 30*3; Single Leg Ext 50kg 30*3; Single Leg Banded Hamstring Curlz Orange Band 30*3. Still a bit tired, but I got all the work done as written.

So fatigue finally reared it's ugly head. We saw it with the Quad issue on Monday, had some shoulder fatigue on Wednesday, Abdominal cramps on Thursday, and then being too tired to get in the conditioning work on Friday. It happens...

The breathlessness and heart flutter issue has persisted long enough for me to schedule an appointment with my intown PCP. I've had this issue before (many years ago with no lasting effects), we'll see how they address it now considering COVID (facepalm). It's definitely a viral issue, but in my eyes, non COVID related...we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/21/22

2nd Cycle / Week Two reps/sets

Squat - Singles @ 140/150kg; down sets @ 125kg 4*2. Felt like dreck but got the session in. Bench work and Dumbbell Rows; regular single leg sets as well. For feeling like shit, the Squats were pretty strong.

Bench - Singles @ 85 / 92.5kg; down sets @ 82.5kg 4*2; Spoto sets @72.5kg 8*3; 3 Board Singles up through 97.5kg. Hit a Dumbbell Bench PR: 70lbs 8*3. Had to have some help setting up, but I was able to get in solid reps. Still working on blowing up the arms.

Deadlift - Singles @ 180 / 195kg; down sets @ 160kg 4*2. More Bench work: Spoto and 3 Board. Regular single leg work and some Rows.My finger is still cranky, but no worse. Pulls were strong all the way through the down sets. Bench work was "tired". I guess benching almost every day catches up to you.

Conditioning Friday - Same old, same old... Almost didn't get off the couch today. Fortunately, I did and I feel better for it. Might not have been as much total mileage as past sessions, but it wasn't a jog either. Top speed for a 15 second sprint 14.5mph....oohhh so close. Of course, I'm not sure I could put out that kind of work for a full 60 seconds, but the idea is in the back of my mind. Be kinda cool to turn in a 60 second 400 meter run at 67 year old.

SBD Saturday - What's this, I almost feel "normal" today?!?! Squat singles @ 140kg 1*3...NO SPOTTER, that's how good I felt. Tempo Down Bench singles @85kg 1*3; 3 Board singles through 100kg. Big Wheel Pull singles @ 193kg 1*3, finger was able to hold up with no apparent issues.
    I can't express how nice it is to feel "normal" (even if it's for a few hours). It's been a couple of months of feeling "off", and it has been wearing on me. If I have turned a corner, so to speak, I just might be in position to hit some PRs in all lifts.

All that said, due to the fact that I have been feeling "off" for too long, I decided to not enter the Powerlifting America Masters Nationals. I'm not willing to spend the money and aggravation of travelling down to Orlando, only to find my body not be up to the task at hand. Wish it were different, but there it is...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

That's wonderful to hear, Chas. Anne sends her best wishes too. You've really been putting in a lot of hard work. But that's nothing new
    Thanks Tim! My best to Anne...

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied

And we passed the two year anniversary of the end of Cancer treatments with another "clean" check-up. That took place Monday...big weight off my shoulders I must say. If I can get past this fluttery heart issue and the tendon issues in my left hand, I'd be fit as a fiddle. As is, I endeavor to persevere...
    That's wonderful to hear, Chas. Anne sends her best wishes too. You've really been putting in a lot of hard work. But that's nothing new

Leave a comment:

• mjwurtz
    replied
    As a poster in my garage reads " I just want to lift weights and forget about all my old man problems!"

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/14/22

2nd Cycle / Week One reps/sets

Squat - Singles at 132.5 / 142.5kg, down sets: 2 sets of four @120kg I see we added some extra Bench work in addition to what I've dreamed up. heavy single leg work.

Bench - Paused Singles at 85 / 90kg; down sets: 2 sets of 4 @80; Spoto: 3 sets of 8 @ 70kg. 4 Board Bench: 70/80/90/95/100...101kg just to work on getting comfortable with heavier weights in my hands and on my chest. We'll bring the bar down as the weeks wear on. Lots of arm work, blowing up the Bi's and Tri's.

Deadlift - Singles at 175 / 185kg; down sets: 2 sets of 4 @155kg. More Bench work: Spoto and 4 Board. Heavier single leg work, and Revs Hyper sets. I'm having a bit of bother with the middle finger on my left hand. Tendonitis / Tendonosis...who can tell. All I know is that it's making pulling extremely uncomfortable.

Conditioning Friday - Same drill, intervals 20 seconds on / 10 seconds off for 4 minutes sets. Finished with a short sprint and got up to 13.1mph...the knee was a little balky today so I couldn't "air it out" the way I wanted to.

SBD Saturday - Singles for all the big three, 3 sets @ rpe 7. I was glad to see these programmed as I'm a little tired. I may move the conditioning to Tuesdays. I need a day off after Deads. Moved down to a 3 Board Bench today...it worked, until it didn't at 102.5kg.

And we passed the two year anniversary of the end of Cancer treatments with another "clean" check-up. That took place Monday...big weight off my shoulders I must say. If I can get past this fluttery heart issue and the tendon issues in my left hand, I'd be fit as a fiddle. As is, I endeavor to persevere...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    5/7/22

1st Cycle - Week Four reps/sets

Squat - Singles at 150 /157.5kg...a little grindy at 157.5kg. No issues with the lightheadedness, or the flippy heart beat. We're not out of the woods yet, but the issue is "better".

Bench - Singles at 85 / 90kg...a little grindy at 90kg for no real reason. My right shoulder is not contributing like it should. Put in some 5 Board work to hit the movement at my sticking point, and work on keeping my shoulder in "the pocket", worked up to triples at 92.5 / 95 / 97.5kg. Something has to make this Bench move...right?

Deadlift - Singles at 185 / 195kg...very fast, felt great. Two down sets of 7 @ 170kg, plus RDLs: 3 sets of 8 @ 135kg.

Conditioning Friday - regular interval work, a little tired. Threw in one 20 second sprint to see what I could "handle", topped out at 12.5mph, and it didn't hurt. That works out to roughly, a 70 second quarter mile. My goal is to see if I can hit 15mph...with a stretch goal of 17.5mph (that's roughly a 51 second 440...)

SBD Saturday - officially tired. Squats were work: Paused SSB 105kg *8, 110kg 8*2. 3 Count Paused Bench was actually pretty solid: 82.5kg 3*3; 5 Board Bench singles 85/90/2.5/5/7.5/100...missed 102.5kg. Big Wheel Pulls - Tired and my knee has finally started to show a little wear and tear (nothing horrible, but definitely carrying some fluid), set of 3 at 183kg, and two @ 193kg. Rows: 3 sets of 10 @ 93kg.

And that was that...pooped.

Maybe some golf tomorrow, I need some range time.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    4/30/22

1st Cycle / Week Three - reps / sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140/150kg...slow, not tired, just slow. Two back off sets of 7 @ 107.5kg, and then my favorite single leg work: Tempo to Tempo Bulgarians.

Bench -
    A bit of a listless session. Singles at 85 / 90kg. Two Touch and Go sets, and then of 7 @ 77.5kg, along with three Spoto sets of five @75kg. Dumbbell Bench and Incline work was strong, and then we blew up the arms with LTEs / Tri Pushdowns and EZ Bar Curls.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 175 / 185kg. Two back of sets of 7 @ 165kg. RDLs, three sets of 8 @ 130kg. Regular single leg extensions / banded hamstring curls and Copenhagen Planks to round out the day.

Conditioning Friday -
    More interval work. A little faster, a little farther... My heart rate recovery is good, especially for being a little faster in the work intervals. I'm hoping to be able to cut it loose in a few more sessions. I'd like to see how fast my turnover is at my advanced years.
    But, having said that, I'll probably wait until after the June meet.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSBs: three sets of 8 @ 100 (1) / 105kg (2); three count paused Bench: three sets of three @ 80kg; Big Wheel Pulls: three sets of three @ 203kg (1) / 193kg (2). Assistance work for the shoulders, and single leg work. I'm happy with the ability to work hard on Saturdays, after the hard conditioning work on Friday #jellylegs. I'm working on toughing a little higher on my chest on the Bench. I handled today's work with more ease than last weeks sets @ 77.5kg...progress! Overshot the BWPs @203kg, so I dropped the other two sets to 193kg...didn't want to push the lower back too hard.

And it appears that there will be one more week to this cycle, then a cycle of three weeks, and then a two week Peak/Taper into the June meet.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    4/23/22

First Cycle - Week Two reps / sets

Squat - Worked up to a single at 142.5kg; back offs 7*2 @ 102.5. My hips were friendly for the first time in a while, and that made depth easier to find. Lot's of single leg work: a little more weight, a little less rest.

Bench - worked up to a single at 87.5kg; Touch and Go's *7 @ 77.5kg and 75kg; Spoto 5*3 @ 72.5kg. Not the best day on the Bench; it happens. Strong dumbbell work though, and that was surprising. Lot's of tempo arm work, especially working the Tri's.

Deadlift - Worked up to a single at 175kg; back off sets 7*2 @ 155kg; RDLs 8*3 @ 125kg. Nothing particularly taxing. Good pulls up the shins on the down sets...something I don't usually do, as I bruise easily.

Conditioning Friday - 5 sets of 4 minutes: 20 seconds on / 10 seconds off. A little faster / more distance, on three minutes rest between sets.

SBD Saturday - Paused Safety Bar 8*3 at 100kg; 3 Count Paused Bench 3*3 *77.5kg; Big Wheel Pulls 3*3 @ 193kg; Rows 10*3 @ 93kg. Shoulder work: IYTs, Clusters 10*3. A little tired today. Fortunately I was able to get all the work done without collapsing...those Paused SSBs were killers. Bench was actually pretty strong. I'm trying to touch a little higher on the chest. Big Wheels were interesting...I forgot I had my lifters on for the first set, which made it really hard. Switched to flats for the finale two sets and that made all the difference.

Went out to lunch with a gaggle of gym goers, Socialization PR!

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    slowmotion
    2 sets of 7 reps...sorry for the confusion.

Leave a comment:

• slowmotion
    commented on 's reply
    Is that 7 sets of 2 reps or 2 sets of 7 reps on the down sets?

• gymdad150
    replied
    4/16/22

1st Cycle reps/sets

Squat - Keeping the program we've been running for the past year, with just a little more volume. Opening this cycle with a single at 135kg, and then down sets of 7*2. Lots of single leg work, and some rows. The single was pretty strong, felt good coming back from the recovery week.

Bench - Single at 85kg; down sets of 7*2 touch and go; Spoto sets 5*3; Dumbbell work; Bi's and Tri's...we're gonna make this bench move if it's the last thing we do. I'm warming up from the pins to build some explosiveness off the chest. Volume is the order of the day.

Deadlift - Single at 165kg; down sets of 7*2 at 145kg, heavy RDLs 125kg - 3 sets of 8; normal single leg extensions and hamstring curls as finishing work.

Conditioning Work - Ok this is new! We now have an Assault Runner at the gym, so I'm adding interval work to get my aerobic capacity back to where it should be - Five, four minute sets of 20 seconds on / 10 seconds off. Amazingly, my bad knee has handled this additional work load without a hitch: no swelling, no pain, no stiffness...I have no idea what has transpired, but I'm really happy that I can finally run without feeling like a cripple. My heart rate recovery is really good, all things considered. I maxed out my last set at 180bpm, and one minute later I was down to 120bpm...can't complain about that. Not that I enjoyed the oxygen debt, but that's too be expected for being so sedentary these past few years.

SBD Saturday - Haven't had a full Saturday session in quite a while. Can't say I didn't ask for more work. Paused SSB 8*3 at 95kg; three count pause Bench 3*3 75kg to 80kg; Big Wheel Pulls 3*3 at 183kg; Rows and Kroc Rows; IYTs and Shoulder Clusters...madonna! I thought the SSBs were gonna be the death of me.

Again, this is going to be a three week cycle, re-set (a bit higher than the start of this cycle) to start the next three week cycle, rinse and repeat into June, and the PLA meet in Orlando.

Leave a comment:

• mjwurtz
    commented on 's reply
    I have a concept 2 rower that I have barely used taking up space as well.
Working...
X