• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/12/19

Cycle Four Week Four reps/sets

LB Squat - 125kg 1*2

Comp Bench - 80kg 2*2

Planks

Energy levels continue to improve...hoping the strength shows up soon.

Comment

• That must be a relief. Hope you're back to closing in on that 500-pound pull!

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post
        That must be a relief. Hope you're back to closing in on that 500-pound pull!
        Absolutely, one less thing to worry about.

I'm not sure 227.5kg falls this meet. I would have liked to have pulled 215 the other day, and that didn't happen. I'm thinking my coach will call for 220 / 222.5... It all depends on how fast the 2nd attempt goes.

I think were looking at:
        Sq: 145 / 155 / 165

B: 85 / 95 / 100

D: 197.5 / 210 / 220-222.5

I'll know more tomorrow...

Comment

• 2/13/19

Cycle Four Week Four rep/sets

Comp Bench - 90kg *1

Belt Squat - 30kg 5*4
          Hammer Curls - 50lbs 10*3

That's all she wrote. Out of the gym till Saturday....what ever will I do?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
            2/13/19

Cycle Four Week Four rep/sets

Comp Bench - 90kg *1

Belt Squat - 30kg 5*4
            Hammer Curls - 50lbs 10*3

That's all she wrote. Out of the gym till Saturday....what ever will I do?!?
            Anne and I will be rooting for you. Now go wreak some mayhem!

Comment

Anne and I will be rooting for you. Now go wreak some mayhem!
              Consider it done.

Another meet in the books. Lots of participants, a number of whom made the qualifying totals for Raw Natls...I was not one of them.

Anyway, I had an epiphany last night. I realized I was playing with house money due my protracted illness, and had nothing to lose. All at once a weight was lifted from my shoulders, and my frame of mind became much more positive.

Squats: opened at 145kg without issue. 2nd attempt 155kg, solid and fast. Unlike Raw Natls, depth was not an issue today...yay! On my 3rd, I scared the crap out of everyone in attendance. 162.5kg was on the bar. Nice set up out of the rack, nice deep descent, up out of the hole with some speed...and just before lockout, I passed out!
              My belt was a little too tight, and the valsalva ended up in my head, not my belly.

Fortunately the spotters were jonny on the spot, and no one got hurt. I had the damn lift too, would have been a nice PR.

Bench: opened at 87.5kg and it flew. 2nd at 95kg and I misgrooved it off the chest - no lift. 3rd attempt at the same weigh, and I corrected some errors that we saw on video, nailing the lift.

Deadlift: At this point, I'm not sure what I have left, and what I can control. Warm-ups went smoothly, so we opened with 200kg; smoked it. 2nd attempt was at 212.5kg, and unlike Spokane, it flew up. 3rd attempt was at 220kg, and it was glorious - never in doubt. Hell, 222.5 / 225, might have gone up today. That 500lbs pull is really gonna happen.

So I ended the meet with a Deadlift PR and a PR total. Not bad for losing almost a month of training to illness.

Next up Regionals in July...497.5 should go down. If it doesn't, I need a top three finish. Barring two other guys coming out of the woodwork, I think I'll be OK.

You can see the videos on Instagram, under gymdad150. Check 'em out if you're not squeamish about the Squat Wreck.

Comment

• Chas! Man, what a day you had! Anne and I read your training log last night (Saturday) but I'm only replying now. You are one gritty competitor. I don't know if I could have come back from passing out like that--I probably would have called it a day! We just watched your Instagram video and your effort and will are inspiring to see.

And that deadlift! Wow. 500 looks like a real possibility for the regional meet! You're a sure bet to qualify for the nationals there.

So, congrats on a great day and the PRs! I hope we can meet on the platform in Chicago in October.

ps I liked those breakfast pics of the eggs, sausage patties, and french toast--looked very tasty!

Comment

• Thanks Tim!

I'm riding a pretty good high...still !

We're gonna train like there's no tomorrow and make sure that Chicago becomes a reality!
                  Last edited by gymdad150; 02-19-2019, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• 2/18/119

Week Off reps/sets

Belt Squat - 30kg 20*5

Bench - 50kg 10*5

EZ Bar Curl / LTE - 30kg 12*5

Just a little movement to get the kinks out. I feel pretty good, not sore or stiff.

Comment

• 2/20/19

Week Off reps/sets

Bench - 60kg 10*5
                      Belt Squat - 50kg 15*5
                      RDL - 85kg 10*5
                      Dips - bw 10*5

The volume phase is just around the corner...ugh

A friend posted my 220kg deadlift video to the Eat to Perform website...damn thing has over 42000 hits

Comment

• A friend posted my 220kg deadlift video to the Eat to Perform website...damn thing has over 42000 hits

You're turning into a meme!

Comment

• 2/21/19

Week Off reps/sets

Belt Squat - 70kg 12*5

Bench - 70kg 10*2, 65kg 10*3

Deadlift - 110kg 10*3

Still getting the old body ready for volume on Monday...

Comment

• 2/23/19

Week Off reps/sets

Bench - 70 / 80 / 85 / 90kg *1; 70kg 5*3

LB Squat - 75kg 7*3

Deadlift - 120kg 8*3

Straight Bar Curl - eb 30*3

The last day before we begin, what will most likely be, a hellish volume phase.

Coach mapped out his plans and, well it's different. While I'll be competing at regionals, we're not going to "peak" for it. His thinking is that it is unlikely that more than three Masters 3 competitors will be in attendance, and that of those others, it's unlikely that they'll all out lift me. So training will be one long build up to Raw Natls. His goal for me, based on this past meet, and how well training went up until I got sick is: 500 / 500!

A 500kg total, and a 500lbs pull.

I know I laid this out as a goal this time last year, but that was always a reach. This year it is a reasonable expectation, god willing and the creeks don't rise.

Haven't seen the first month, but I understand it'll be 10's for Squats, 8's for Deads and I assume 10's for Bench.

Bench is the only lift he's looking to PR at regionals.

Comment

• Sounds like you're in good hands with that coach of yours, GD. And those goals seem very doable, even surpassable! Good luck to us both!

Comment

... Good luck to us both!
                                Amen to that Codge, amen to that!

Comment

Working...
                                X