• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gymdad150
    replied
    9/24/22

3rd Cycle - Week Four rep/sets

Squat -
    Tempo Pause Low bar singles at 120/127.5kg; down sets at 112.5kg 4*3;Tempo Down Belt Squats 140lbs 10*4. Single Arm Pulldowns and Cable rows, as well as single leg work for successories.
    This is an RPE 9 week, and to be honest I think the singles were closer to 8. Had a little issue with my left lower leg...just a bit of a bite at the top of the peroneal longus.

Bench -
    Larsen singles at 85/90kg; T&G sets at 78kg 4*3; 5 Count Spoto sets at 65kg 7*2. Some single arm tempo down dumbbell sets, and the usual blow up the arms Bi's and Tri's.
    The top single was a closer to RPE 9.5. In fact, the whole day was hard. I had to widen the grip on the Spoto sets, and I missed a set of LTEs due to fatigue. The only legit work at 9 were the T&G sets. It happens...

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 182.5/195kg *1; down sets at 175kh 4*3; Tempo Down 3 Count Bench singles at 77.5kg 1*4. Some dumbbell hip thrusts, Mod Rows and Revs Flys, as well as single leg extensions and Copenhagen Planks Hip Dips.
    !82.5kg was solid, but 195kg was all a back pull...hips shot up and there was no leg drive...very sad. That said, the down sets were solid, and in fact I did the last set dead stop re-sets and it was really strong.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Down SSB 100kg 6*2; Larsen Bench 70kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls 193kg 1*3. Successories were those damn Double Rack Goblet Squats, Front and Back Flys, Shoulder Clusters and Cable Hi Rows.
    Pretty solid day four week four...knee felt reasonably good, but the lower back was a little tight.

It looks like this program continues on RPE 4 / 5.5 / 7.5 / 9 for the next cycle. Seeing as the next round of blood tests don't happen for another week or two, I suppose it's appropriate to continue on as we have been.

My weight is holding in the 203/206lbs range. My energy levels are much improved (but still not fully back to normal). My knee has been responding reasonably well to the increased demands I'm placing on it. Squash season is upon us...that will be the real test. It is in the back of my mind that if I can't handle Court time, Lifting, and some GPP, I may have to look into a knee replacement (fingers crossed that's no the case).

All in all, I think this has been a successful cycle. My Squat is still a ways away from where I'd like, but I've been working on box squats for the past few cycles, and I don't really know how they'll translate to a regular back squat. My Bench is also not where I'd like, but I'm not as concerned as I'm girthier through the shoulders than I have been in the past. That should translate into a stronger Bench once I get the meds dialed in. I'm having a harder time determining where my Deadlift is, relative to days past. I'm starting to get into the proper weight and rep range that equate to a pull in the mid 210s...I'm OK with that at the moment.
    Last edited by gymdad150; 09-24-2022, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    9/17/22

3rd Cycle / Week Three reps/sets

Squat - Tempo Pause singles at 110/117.5kg; Low Bar at 105kg 4*3; Tempo Down Belt Squats at 160lbs 10*3. Single arm successories, and single leg sets.
    Squats felt great, and still beltless

Bench - Tempo Pause Larsen singles at 75/80kg; T&G at 73kg 4*3; 5 Count Spoto at 61kg 7*2. Successories were Tempo Down single arm Incline bench dumbbell sets, and lots of Bi's and Tri's...my arms are starting to show the work being put in.
    Finished this session in the blink of an eye. Everything moved really well, and fast too.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 170/180kg; down sets at 160kg 4*3. Tempo Down 3 Count Bench sets at 75kg 1*4. Some dumbbell Hip Thrust, Flys and Rows, along with regular single leg work, add is some Dead Bugs and Copenhagen Plank Hip Dips.
    Lot's of "pop" in the legs today. I really pushed the weights up from previous sessions, but everything still felt like an RPE 6, as opposed to the RPE 7 that was called for.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause SSB sets at 97.5kg 6*3, Larsen Bench sets at 67kg 8*3, Big Wheel Pull singles at 183kg *3. Successories featured Double Rack Goblet Squats at 40kg 10*3, a shit load of shoulder work.
    Still fiddling around with my Squat Stance. It appears that my left tibia is just a bit longer then my right, so I used a 1.25kg plate as a shim for my right foot. I felt a difference, but I need to play with it a bit more before I commit to shimming my shoe. Bench moved lightening fast. BWP continue to feel strong. Those 2X Racked Goblet Squats are of the devil...damn CrossFit shit. Blowing up the shoulders to follow-up the gun show of Thursday.

This was the first week since 2019 where I felt "normal" all four days. I'm pretty sure the thyroid medication is having an effect. I tried to push the PCP to move up the next round of blood tests...but no dice, I'll have to wait until October.

Additionally, I felt good enough to accept an invitation to play a full 18 holes of golf on Tuesday. I haven't been able to complete a full round since 2019...by the 15th hole my legs have been crapping out, so I've been constrained to playing 9 hole rounds...which I fucking hate.
    Anyway, I made it through all 18 holes in fine style, though it was in a cart. Back before everything went south, I was able to play and carry my bag for 36 holes...so while I'm better, I'm not fully back to where I feel I should be.

All that said, it does appear that we're on the right track, so YAY!

Looking forward to Week Four...​

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    9/10/22

3rd Cycle / Week Two - rep/sets

Squat -
    Paused Low Bar singles at 100/110kg; LBS 100kg 4*3; Temp Down Belt Squats 140lbs 10*3. Some single arm rows and pulldowns, along with single leg holds.
    Reasonably good Squats for having a cranky knee.

Bench -
    Temp Down Larsen singles at 70/77.5kg; T&G at 70kg 4*3; single arm Temp Down Incline Bench at 45lbs 7*3. Blowed up the arms as is required on Bench day.
    Still performing all the Bench work with a close grip.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 157.5/167.5kg; Deads at 152.5kg 4*3
    Tempo Down 3 Count Paused Bench at 72.5kg 1*4. Dumbbell Hip Thrust at 100lbs 10*3, some upper back work, along with single leg holds (switched out the Banded hamstring curls for the glute/ham roller to hit the hammy's).
    Today I actually felt like my old self, lot's of "pop" in the pulls.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Paused SSB at 95kg 6*2; Larsen Bench at 67kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 1*3; Double Rack Goblet Squats at 36kg 10*3. Lot's of shoulder and upper back successories.

Got up at the ass crack of dawn (for me) to get this session in, before heading over to Rochester to watch a trio of strong young men compete in the early afternoon. I'm still fishing for words to descibe the effort and results these kids put up this afternoon. Titanic efforts to complete 3rd attempt Squats, 3rd Attempt Benches that looked like openers, 2nd attempt Deads to qualify for Nationals and NY Primetime...and a 3rd attempt of 320kg at a bodyweight of 109.1kg to claim the Mustache Gym record. I've never seen as many of our men put up such a magnificent performance...I'm so proud of them.

Hell, I'm even claiming a PR today: I trained, drove an hour and a half both ways, spent 4 1/2 hours cheering my damn fool head off, and I'm still going strong. I haven't been able to put in a full day like this in years. Not to get top far out over my skis, but I think the Thyroid medication is working...finally.

This next week the RPE steps up to 7, and it should be a reasonably good indicator as to whether I am on the road back. I sure hope so...​

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    9/3/22

Cycle Three / Week One reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Low Bar singles at 102.5kg; down sets at 97.5kg 4*3; Tempo Down Belt Squats at 100lbs 10*3. Successories consisted of 1 Arm sets and Single Leg sets.
    This cycle is something new, we're starting at RPE 4 and working our way up to an RPE of 9 in week four. Additionally, I'm playing around with my stance, mainly for shits and giggles, but it actually feels pretty good at the moment...much more fluid.

Bench -
    Tempo Down Larsen singles at 70/75kg; T&G at 67.5kg 7*2; 5 Count Spoto at 57.5kg 7*2. Successories Dumbbell Bench, and blowing up the arms.
    Again, this weeks sets are at RPE 4, and I think I'm pretty on point as far as that goes. Once again, I'm playing around with my grip width (Shits & Giggles), so all Bench sets are being done with a close grip. Normally close grip makes my right shoulder cranky, but I had no issues during or after the session.

Deadlift -
    Paused Deadlift singles at 150/160kg; down sets at 150kg 4*3. Temp Down, 3 Count Paused Bench at 70kg 1*4. Successories consisted of Flys and Cable Mid Rows, as well as single leg sets featuring 30 second holds. Not fooling around with anything here. just focusing on putting my knees in the right position, and getting a better back extension.

SBD Saturday -
    Tempo Pause SSB 92.5kg 6*2; Larsen Bench at 62.5 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 168kg 1*3. Lots of successories: Flys, Revs Flys; Cable Hi Rows; Shoulder Cluster; single leg holds.
    I hit some golf balls yesterday and my knee was cranky then, today was uncomfortable as well...grrrr.
    Session RPE was 5, and again I think I was spot on.

This week was actually a lot of fun, got to work on some technique issues, and do a little hypertrophy work as well.

We're four weeks into the new prescription, and I'll run out in two more. In that sixth week I'm gonna push for the next set of blood work to be done. I'm better, but still not "right". I can handle more volume and more "movement", but intensity is still an issue.
    I'm waking up earlier and not feeling like the walking dead, but I still run out of gas at some point in the day. So we're still a work in progress...

Have a happy Labor Day weekend all y'all.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    8/27/22

2nd Cycle - Week Four reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Single at 125kg (got pinned at 132.5kg; down sets at 100kg 6*3; Sissy Squats with a grey band 20*3. Some upper body assistance work and the normal single leg routine. Wow...I haven't missed at 1322.5kg in...hell, I don't know...forever. Today was one of the no energy / no "pop" days. I really want to put these type of days behind me, but I can see it's gonna be a long slog back to some semblance of my old self.

Bench -
    Paused Larsen singles at 81/84kg; T&G at 76kg 6*3; 1 Board singles at 66/76/81/86/91kg; 3 Count at 68kg 5*3. Single arm dumbbell Benchwork, and the normal "blow up the arms" bi's and tri's extravaganza. Hard to believe that just last cycle I was able to handle mid 90kgs with no problem.
    Well, at least we're still showing up...

Deadlift -
    Paused Singles at 182.5/192.5kg; down sets at 160kg 6*2; tempo Down RDLs at 140kg 7*2. Assistance work featuring Tempo Down Close Grip Bench at 67.5kg 7*3; some shoulder/back work, and single leg sets. A better day energy wise, but 192.5kg was hard enough that another rep would have been all I had left in me...***shakes head sadly***.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 95kg 5*3; 2 Count Larsen at 70kg 6*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 183kg 2*3. Assistance work was Belt Squats, Flys and Rev Flys, Hi Rows and Dumbbell Press...no single leg work today. I was a little tired so I dialed back the weight on everything but the BWPs. To make up for that, i added an extra set to each exercise. And that's the end of this cycle...

Amazingly enough, I went out and spent two hours on the range, going through a large bucket of balls...in the same day where I spent 2-3 hours in the gym. I must be feeling somewhat better. I couldn't have done that earlier in the summer. My knee, while it's sore (rotational movements are no bueno), handled the Squats and Pulls and a large bucket of balls pretty well.

I've had some input from other folks who have had thyroid issues, and it seems that until you get to the proper dosage, one will have as many bad days as good days. Color me excited...

Still, I'm gonna keep showing up: in the gym and on the range. All troubles aside, I still enjoy the process.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    8/20/22

2nd Cycle / Week Three rep/sets

Squat -
    Paused singles at 120/125kg; down sets at 102.5kg 6*3; sissy squats. Some upper back successories, along with normal single leg work. I can see some progress here, it's not showing up with weight on the bar, more in the amount of work I can do.

Bench -
    Larsen singles at 80/84kg; T&G 72.5/73.5/74kg *6; 1 Board singles 65/75/85/90/92.5kg; 3 Count sets at 66kg 5*3. As always, blowing up the arms with lots of Bi and Tri sets. Better Bench session than last week.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 172.5/182.5kg; down sets at 152.5kg 6*3; Tempo Down RDLs at 130kg 7*2. Close Grip Bench Tempo Down sets at 67.5kg 7*3, some upper back successories, along with...(all together now) normal single leg sets and Copenhagen Planks. Pretty solid session of pick 'em ups. Close Grip work got a little dicey on the last reps of the last set...I went with out spotters, and almost got pinned on the last rep...oops.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB at 105kg 5*2; 2 Count Bench at 70kg 5*2; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 2*2. Lot's of upper body successories: Flys (back and front) Hi Rows and Dumbbell Presses...and yes, regular single leg work. Good session: felt in control on the Squats; forgot my rep scheme on the Bench...should have been 6 reps, not 5; BWPs are progressing nicely.

I seem to be making progress under this latest iteration of Synthroid. I can handle more work load, more intensity without paying for it immediately and later in the day. I'm particularly please with the way my knee is responding to the deep squats, and driving with my legs as opposed to pulling with my back on Deadlifts. These past two + years, my knee would blow up like a balloon and stay that way for a few days, but now I can get into positions that I haven't been able to due to pain and swelling. The change in the arthritic condition is the most noticeable improvement with this new medication.

Additionally, the problem with my finger on my left hand has improved as well. Again, what ever arthritic condition that had settle into my hand seems to be gone. I'm glad this has resolved itself, as it was making Deadlifting a real pain.

And that's the state of the Union at the end of week three...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    8/13/22

Cycle Two / Week Two reps/sets

Squat -
    Paused Singles at 110/115kg; Down Sets at 97.5kg 6*3; Sissy Squats orange band 20*3. Some upper body sets and regular single leg work. Beastly hot and humid...made the session no fun at all. That said, the Squats were good, and I handled the conditions pretty well.

Bench -
    Larsen Singles at 77.5/82.5kg; T&G at 75/72.5/70kg *6; 1 Board singles at 60/70/80/90kg; 3 Count sets at 65kg 5*3. Tempo Down Dumbbell sets at 40lbs 8*3; blew up the arms...it is Bench day after all. Better weather, shitty session...I'm back in the Bench doldrums.

Deadlift -
    Paused Singles at 160/172.5kg; Down Set Deads at 150kg 6*3; Tempo Down RDL at 125kg 7*2. Some upper back work, and regular single leg sets, along with Copenhagen Planks. Much better session, better energy levels. Probably the best I've felt in a long time.

So, a week at 50mcg of Synthroid, and I'm feeling more of a difference now. Aerobically I'm still sucking wind, but I can do more "work" without feeling crushed.

My weight, after topping out at 213lbs back in April, is down to 203lbs +/- 2lbs. The medication is definitely at play here.

Progress is progress, and I'm pleased with the trend of things at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Great to hear all that!

Leave a comment:

• slowmotion
    replied
    Good to hear. Just keep going.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    The urinalysis came back "normal", and my creatinine is 1.27; that's a drop from 1.47/1.48. The BUN ratio is on the high side, but that dropped as well. So I think we put to bed any kidney related issues, and can concentrate on the thyroid going forward.

As I suspected, my TSH is holding around 6.80 ( T3, T3 total, T4 are within norms, some to the higher side, some to the lower), and the doctor is recommending that we bump things up to .50mcg. I'm fucking clairvoyant I am...

I just need to hear back as to whether there is a new script, or I just double off my current supply.

I also read the Kidney Ultrasound report for myself, and was happy to see that they measured the prostate as part of the program, and that my prostate hasn't changed in size since my cancer treatments. Now that makes me really happy...

Carry on!

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied

I also expect the creatinine numbers to be markedly lower, not low enough to suit him, but low enough to blame the results on my years of weight training, and not that my kidneys are "shot".
    I've gone through that same thing with two different GPs. A few years ago one GP insisted that I get a full battery of kidney tests, which I did. After cutting out creatine and whey protein for two weeks and drinking plenty of water all my blood work came back normal. Now my current GP is concerned about my kidney function, despite all my explanations. So I've been off creatine for a few months now. I think I'll start it again after my next blood test.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    8/6/22

2nd Cycle / Week One - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 80/90kg; down sets at 70kg 6*3; Sissy Squats for reps. Upper Body successories, and the regular single leg sets. Coming in really light to start this cycle, so I took the opportunity to re-introduce myself to proper depth by squatting to a box. I find that I need to get a bit more ankle dorsiflexion...we'll work on this throughout this cycle.

Bench -
    Paused Larsen single at 77.5kg; T&G at 60kg 6*3; 3 Count sets at 62.5kg 5*3; 1 Board singles at 60/70/80/90kg. Blew up the arms for successories. Again, we start this cycle light, light, light.

Deadlift -
    Paused singles at 140/160kg; Paused down sets at 140kg 6*2; Tempo RDLs at 120 7*2. Close Grip Tempo Bench sets at 60kg 7*3; Revs Fly; Mid Rows; and single leg sets. Did this work on Friday, as I wanted Thursday off before Friday's blood tests.

SBD Saturday -
    Paused SSB 100/95kg *5; 2 Count Paused Larsen sets at 65kg 6*2; Big Wheel Pulls sets at 153kg 2*2; Belt Squats sets at 100lbs 12*2. Flys, Revs Flys, Cable Rows, Dumbbell Press for successories, as well as paused single leg sets.

Light start to the cycle worked in my favor as I wouldn't be too beat up going into the next round of blood tests.. While the doctor is testing my thyroid numbers, he's also testing my kidney function as well. So I've been off creatine, and stopped any use of NSAIDS for the past five weeks. By taking things easy, as well as having a day off before the tests, I shouldn't be dumping any "extra" protein into the system from muscle breakdown.

I should hear more on Monday, and I fully expect that the thyroid dosage will be bumped up...to where, probably 50mcg. The dosage should be higher, but he's gonna go slowly by the look of things.

I also expect the creatinine numbers to be markedly lower, not low enough to suit him, but low enough to blame the results on my years of weight training, and not that my kidneys are "shot".

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    7/30/22

1st Cycle / Week Four reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 140/150kg; down sets at 110kg 8*3; Belt Squats 150lbs 10*3. Normal single leg reps and some shoulder work. A little tired from a long weekend, and a little more driving than I've done in a while. Actually, I'm surprised I could Squat at all...

Bench -
    Singles at 89/94kg; 2 Board singles at 74/84/89kg; T&G Bench at 74kg *8,*7; Larsen Bench 70kg 4*4. Lot's of Tri's and Bi's as usual. Really tired today, everything was a struggle. Couldn't complete sets, had to drop the weight on a number of exercises. The days where I feel good are not as rare as they used to be, but the bad days are butt kicking at the moment.

Deadlift -
    Singles at 185/195kg; down sets at 145kg 8*2, Big Wheel Pulls at 163kg 4*3. Some Dumbbell work and single leg reps. Ugly singles, dropped a set on the down sets and the BWP. I started to feel better by the time I got into the assistance work. It was like someone threw a light switch...crazy feeling.

Saturday -
    SBD Saturday: Tempo Pause SSB at 90kg 7*3, 5 Count Spoto at 65kg 7*3; Deficit Deads at 150kg 3*3. Lot's of successories: Dumbbell Bench, Pulldowns; single leg sets; Straight Bar Curls...bro it out. Felt much better today. Really surprised at how well the Deficit Deads felt and moved. My knee was extremely cooperative...praise Jesus.

End of the cycle. I'm interested to see what's in store for the next one....most likely more volume. 30 days on Thyroid replacement medicine and I can feel a difference, but I'm still not back to normal energy levels. I "goosed" the Doctor (aka emailed), and told him to bump up the Blood Tests. He wasn't thrilled with my request, but put in the order with Quest Diagnostics (I'm scheduled for this coming Friday).

He stated that he liked to be conservative with the increase in dosage...take his time as it were. DUDE!!! I'm a cancer survivor, who knows how long I remain in that category. Besides, I've been feeling like crap for over two years...I'd like to feel better ASAP. Honestly, DA FUQ!

Great reunion, a fun weekend was had by all in attendance...even the spouses had fun. Drove home through some of the most hellacious rain storms I've ever experienced. I picked a hell of a time to "see America first". I got caught in the Allegheny Mountains. 2 hours of rain so heavy, the windshield wipers couldn't keep up. Trees were downed, roads were filled with running water, and eventually the route I was on was closed due to the downfall blocking a long section along the Allegheny River. Ended up having to backtrack, find a crossing to the other side of the river, and re-route the trip. what should have been 4 hours ended up being 6 hours behind the wheel. Did I stop for a break when possible...I DID NOT. My hips and knees were not happy, let me tell you...

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    7/21/22

1st Cycle - Week Three reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 137.5/145kg (a tad high); down sets at 107.5kg 8*3; Belt Squats at 1445lbs 10*3. Some upper body assistance work, and regular single leg work. Not a bad session for having done my SBD work the day before. I'm handling the volume just a bit better...

Bench -
    Singles at 87/92kg (yes 87 and 92kg); 3 Board Singles at 72/82/92/97/102kg; T&G Bench sets at72kg 8*2; Larsen Bench sets at 67kg 4*4. Bi's and Tri's super setted with Hammer Curls...blow that shit up!

Deadlift -
    Singles at 180/190kg (slow, but easy); down sets at 150kg 8*3; Big Wheel Pulls at 173kg 4*4. Dumbbell Bench, Face Pulls, and single leg work. Today was the first day where I felt strong and not crushed from beginning to end...almost like the "before times". I must be feeling better, as this kinda volume, with this much weight would have crushed me in recent cycles.

I'm off this weekend, so no SBD Saturday. Heading down to where I grew up for a 50th reunion. Am I really that old??? Thank god I don't feel 67 y/o (at the moment).

See y'all next week. Week Four under the new medication: should be interesting!

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    7/17/22

1st Cycle / Week Two - reps/sets

Squat -
    Singles at 125/135kg; down sets at 100kg 8*3; Belt Squats at 130lbs 10*3. Some upper body accessory work, along with single leg sets. Handled the volume a bit better this week.

Bench -
    Paused Singles at 85/90kg *1; T&G down sets at 72.5kg 8*3; 3 Board Singles at 72.5/82.5/92.5/97.5kg; Larsen Bench sets at 67.5kg 4*4. Lots of Bi's and Tri's work.
    Tired shoulders for the first time in a long time. The volume Low Bar work is to blame #conjecture

Deadlift -
    Singles at 165/177.5kg; down sets at 155kg 8*3; Deficit Deads at 150kg 3*3. Finished with single leg work, and reverse hypers to get a little blood pumping into my low back.

No Conditioning

SBD SUNDAY -
    Tempt Pause SSSB, sets at 85kg 7*3; 5 Count Spoto, sets at 62.5kg 7*3,; Big Wheel Pulls, sets at 153kg 4*4

The gym hosted a USAPL event, so no training Saturday. Lots of strong lifters, both men and women. Very motivating to say the least. I felt like hammered shit though...

Into the second week of the Thyroid medication, and the placebo effect has worn off. I am having "better" days, but the "bad" days are just soul crushingly tiring...yesterday was one of those days.

The kidney ultrasound came back clean, no evidence of any kidney damage AT ALL. I'm still off creatine and and any NSAIDS until my next blood test. Speaking of which, I'm going to attempt to goose the doctor, so as to move up the next draw from end of August, to the end of July. I'm on a really low dose at the moment, and I want to get things on track for a therapeutic dosage - NOW!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X