• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday, 1/28:

BW: 218

Squat w/ chains:
    142.5kg/314lbs (+80lbs chain) x5 @ 7.5
    130kg/286lbs (+80lbs chain) x5x4 @ <5-5

Heavier and sloppier than I would've liked. Bit more medial knee shift on the way out of the hole than usual - maybe related to the adductor DOMS?

CGBP:
    100kg/220lbs x6 @ 6
    102.5kg/226lbs x6 @ 6.5
    107.5kg/237lbs x6 @ 8
    100kg/220lbs x6x2 @ 5-6

Block Bench:
    110kg/242lbs x5 @ 5
    117.5kg/259lbs x5 @ 7
    120kg/264lbs x5 @ 8
    115kg/253lbs x5x2 @ 7-ish

Switched to 5s here.

DB Hammer Curls:
    45s x15, 14, 14 @ 9

Comment

• Saturday, 1/29:

BW: 218.2

1" Deficit Conventional DL:
      385lbs x4 @ 5
      405lbs x4 @ 6.5
      425lbs x4 @ 8
      390lbs x4 @ 5-ish

Had to use the WL/CF oly platform because both DL platforms were taken. It is clear on the other side of the gym from the kg plates, so I just used the lb plates that were right next to me. Honestly pleasantly surprised with how these moved on the fourth consecutive day of training, but my low back was cooked by the end of them.

3ct Pause Bench:
      110kg/242lbs x4 @ 6.5
      112.5kg/248lbs x4 @ 7
      115kg/253lbs x4 @ 8
      110kg/242lbs x4x2 @ 7-ish

Switched to 4s here. Pauses were much cleaner than last week.

Pendlay Row:
      205lbs x8 @ 5.5
      215lbs x8 @ 7
      225lbs x8 @ 8-8.5

My low back...well doneness...was affecting these.

Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extensions, Myo Reps:
      80x15 @ 9
      80x5, 4, 3, 3

LISS Stationary Recumbent Bike:
      30 mins @ 7

Kneeling Ab Wheel Rollouts:
      8 mins x AMRAP

Comment

• Played 1.5 hours of full court 5-on-5 basketball on Sunday before watching my Bengals punch their ticket to the super bowl (who dey). Apparently, I pushed myself a little too hard - admittedly, I hadn't played ball, or really done any sort of high impact cardio, in a long time and my body was not happy about it. In addition to some ankle and knee soreness, I also reaggravated my right glute pain/sciatica issue that I dealt with last spring. Comp squats and RDLs on Monday were basically impossible at any load without getting a sharp, stabbing pain in my glute coming out of the hole. Even the act of bridging my hips to set my arch and leg driving was very painful for comp bench, so I pretty much just did Larsen press and some leg extensions on Monday. Felt a bit better Tuesday and was able to do most of my day 2 workout. Hopefully that's a good sign that whatever is angry in my glute just needs a little more time to calm down and not be so inflamed.

Tuesday, 2/1:

Comp DL:
        210kg/462lbs x3 @ 6.5
        185kg/407lbs x4x5 @ <5-5.5

I was honestly shocked I was able to do these without aggravating my glute any more than it already was. Capped the triple at RPE 6-ish just because I was gun shy - like I couldn't believe I was doing them at a tolerable pain level after squats were a no-go the previous day. Pretty reassuring that the glute thing wasn't as big of a setback as I feared.

TnG Bench:
        130kg/286lbs x2 @ 7.5
        110kg/242lbs x4x4 @ <5-5

Bridging my hips and arching was painful at first, but felt better and better with each warmup set. I still sandbagged the double because I wasn't arching or leg driving at 100% capacity, but I was pretty happy with the load all things considered.

Hatfield Squat:
        118kg/260lbs x6x3

Squatting still seems to bother the glute the most. I worked up to this load very slowly and stopped here because my glute pain would likely start feeling worse if I went any heavier. Being able to help pull myself out of the bottom of the squat with this variation helped a lot.

Leg Extensions:
        175x20x2 @ 7-8

Since the Hatfield squats were so light, I supplemented them with some leg extensions just to work my quads a bit more. Kept these fairly light.

Comment

• Wednesday, 2/2:

LISS Stationary Recumbent Bike:
          30 mins @ 7

Kneeling Ab Wheel Rollouts:
          8 mins x AMRAP

Friday, 2/4:

Got hammered by a winter storm on Thursday, and the roads weren't drivable enough for me to make it to the gym. Shed gym was out of the question because there's too much stuff in the shed for the winter that I couldn't drag outside in the snow. So, another wonky training schedule this week.

Squat w/ chains:
          145kg/319lbs (+80lbs chain) x5 @ 7.5
          130kg/286lbs (+80lbs chain) x5x3 @ <5-5

Very pleasantly surprised with how these went. Guess the glute just needed a few days for whatever inflammation was going on to calm down.

CGBP:
          100kg/220lbs x6 @ 6
          105kg/231lbs x6 @ 7
          107.5kg/237lbs x6 @ 7.5
          100kg/220lbs x6x2 @ 5-6

Block Bench:
          112.5kg/248lbs x5 @ 6
          117.5kg/259lbs x5 @ 7
          120kg/264lbs x5 @ 8
          115kg/253lbs x5x2 @ 7-ish

Pendlay Rows:
          205x8 @ 5
          215x8 @ 6.5
          225x8x2 @ 7.5-8

Squeezed these in today so I'd have one less thing to do tomorrow.

DB Hammer Curls:
          45s x15, 14, 14 @ 9
          Last edited by Nate B; 02-07-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Saturday, 2/5:

BW: 216.8

1" Deficit Conventional DL:
            180kg/396lbs x4 @ 6.5
            185kg/407lbs x4 @ 7.5
            190kg/418lbs x4 @ 8.5
            170kg/374lbs x4x2 @ 5-6

Stood for 2.5 hours at a concert Friday night and my low back was incredibly tight and sore for these. Strength was down about 5-7.5 kg. Took a few more kg off the backoff sets load because I was really feeling crappy.

3ct Pause Bench:
            110kg/242lbs x4 @ 6.5
            112.5kg/248lbs x4 @ 7
            115kg/253lbs x4 @ 8
            110kg/242lbs x4x2 @ 7-ish

Had a hard time rating the ramping sets up to 115/248. Felt like I might've undershot the RPE 8 target a bit, but stuck with an 8.

HIIT - Rogue Echo Bike Sprints:
            7 x :20 on / 1:40 off

Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extensions, Myo Reps:
            80x15 @ 9
            80x5, 4, 3, 3

Ab Crunch Machine:
            8 mins x AMRAP

Comment

• Monday, 2/7:

Hooped again on Sunday and even though I intentionally only played about half as long as last week and didn't go as hard, it still made my glute pain flare up again (although not as severe). Think I might need to quit playing until after my meet, which makes me feel old and unathletic.

Comp Squat:
              182.5kg/402lbs x1 @ 8
              165kg/363lbs x3x2 @ 7, 6

Strength was down. The glute pain was not as bad as last week, but it was causing a lot of hesitancy and wonky technique. Overshot the single (supposed to be [email protected]) because I got too in my quads and off balance. Finally clicked on the last triple, but still a frustrating session.

Comp Bench:
              132.5kg/292lbs x1x4 @ 7-8
              130kg/286lbs x1 @ 7.5

Program called for 5 singles @ 7. Was able to repeat the load @ 7-ish until the fourth single, which was for sure an 8. Took 2.5kg off the bar for the last one.

3ct Pause Bench:
              100kg/220lbs x6 @ 6.5
              105kg/231lbs x6 @ 8
              Last edited by Nate B; 02-09-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Tuesday, 2/8:

BW: 218.8

Comp DL:
                120kg/264lbs x6x3

Well, back on the pain train I guess. Walking around was uncomfortable today, and I now have pain (different sensations) in my glute, sacrum/low back area, and right knee. This was about all I could manage without things getting very uncomfortable. Definitely frustrated to be shooting myself in the foot like this during prep - feel like I've wasted two weeks of valuable time. Definitely done with basketball until at least after the meet. Hopefully I can bounce back as quickly as I did last week.

TnG Bench:
                115kg/253lbs x4x3 @ 7-ish

Had trouble arching (glute and lower back) and leg driving (glute and knee) so loads obviously were down a bit.

SSB Squat:
                58kg/128lbs x8x2

Very tentative with these and they were definitely above parallel. Basically 3-0-3 tempo reps lol. At least I could do something.
                Last edited by Nate B; 02-09-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Thursday, 2/10:

BW: 216.6

Glute pain is almost non-existent and the low back and knee pain felt like more of a soreness/achiness. Really weird how intense my pain was both times for like two days and then just went away to like a 1 or 2/10, but I'm glad its reduced in severity so quickly.

2ct Pause Squat:
                  140kg/308lbs x3 @ 5-ish
                  145kg/319lbs x3 @ 6.5
                  152.5kg/336lbs x3 @ 7.5

Mostly felt these in my knee and low back, but the pain was so mild/manageable that it was more of a mental factor than a physical one. Load wise, these were a bit lower than where I hope to end up as the block goes on, but this still felt like a huge win given how I could barely SSB squat 100lbs comfortably a couple days ago.

Slingshot Bench:
                  145kg/319lbs x1 @ 7.5
                  142.5/314lbs x1x4 @ 7-7.5

Knew right off the bat that 145kg was going to be a bit much to maintain at RPE 7-ish for 4 more sets, so I dropped down to 142.5.

Spoto Press:
                  100kg/220lbs x8 @ 6.5
                  102.5kg/226lbs x8 @ 7
                  105kg/231lbs x8 @ 7.5

DB Hammer Curls:
                  45s x15, 15, 14 @ 9

Comment

• I use this log mostly to keep training notes without having to fill up notebooks like in the past, so I'm going to try to keep it updated again now that I'm back to training. My low back, glute, and hip pain increased significantly in severity in mid February to the point where I was getting pretty gnarly sciatic nerve pain - walking and general mobility was very difficult for a couple weeks. Probably the worst pain I've had in my entire life, honestly, and things were pretty miserable. With some rest, gradual reintroduction of movement, and plenty of support from coach Leah, I'm finally feeling good enough to do something that resembles training again. I'm on a 3 day/week schedule for the first time in years and am still not quite able to use full ROM for some lower body movements, but I've been making some good progress for the last week or so.

Sunday, 3/6:

BW: 212

Bodyweight has taken a bit of a hit. I just wasn't motivated to eat enough to stay around 220 the last few weeks when I wasn't really training much. I wouldn't be surprised if my lower body atrophied a little bit.

TnG Bench:
                    245lbs x5x5 @ 6.5-7

Done with minimal arch and leg drive.

OHP:
                    105lbs x8x3 @ 6

Very strict because I wasn't able to contract my glute and layback without increasing pain.

Weighted Push Ups:
                    +45lbs x15x2 @ 7

Tempo eccentric and paused at the bottom to hit [email protected]

Also did some arms and some upper back GPP. 5 sets biceps, 3 sets triceps, and 3 sets upper back.

Tuesday, 3/8:

BW: 212.8

SSB Split Squat:
                    50kg/110lbs x10x3 @ 6

Pretty happy to be able to use full ROM and an SSB and not a DB or KB for these.

CGBP:
                    225lbs x5x5 @ 7-ish

Able to use a little more arch and leg drive.

Larsen Press:
                    205lbs x8x3 @ 7

Had heels resting lightly on the floor because it was uncomfortable to hover my feet in the air.

Thursday, 3/10:

BW: 213

Wagon Wheel Sumo DL:
                    315lbs x10x3 @ <6-6
                    Felt like I took another big step in terms of my pain and mobility between my Tuesday session and this session. Felt comfortable enough use wagon wheels (a little above mid shin) instead of just below the knee rack or block pulls, and to actually load the bar up a little bit.

Nebula Chest Supported T-Bar Row:
                    +70lbs x10x3 @ 7

This machine is a lot harder than it looks. Have to use a lot less weight than most other T-bar row machines.

DB Flye:
                    40s x10x3 @ 7
                    Last edited by Nate B; 03-11-2022, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Sunday, 3/13:

BW: 213.8

TnG Bench:
                      255lbs x5x4 @ 7-7.5
                      255lbs x4 @ 6.5
                      255x1

Able to use a bit more leg drive and arch, and a bit more weight too. Goal was to hit a set of [email protected] and then do 20 more reps with the same load with no set >RPE 7. Just barely missed a 5x5.

OHP:
                      115lbs x8x3 @ 6

Just like I was able to use more leg drive and arch on bench, I was able to layback and use my lower body to stabilize myself better this week. Resulted in a 10lbs jump at the same RPE.

Weighted Push Ups, deficit + 2ct pause:
                      +45lbs x15x2 @ 7

Created a deficit by placing my hands on bumper plates, which eliminated the need for the tempo eccentric.

Also did 2 sets of cable face pulls, 3 sets of triceps, and 5 sets of biceps. Solid upper body pump.

Comment

• Tuesday, 3/15:

BW: 213.8

3-0-3 Tempo HBBS:
                        110kg/242lbs x8x3 @ 6

We're back to barbell back squatting for the first time in about a month. I was able to squat to depth comfortably, which is encouraging. Some tenderness deep in my right glute afterward, but mostly felt fine otherwise.

CGBP:
                        105kg/231lbs x5x5 @ 7-ish

Larsen Press:
                        95kg/209lbs x8x3 @ 7

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Row:
                        +180lbs x15x3 @ 8

Just getting some extra back work in since I'm not pushing training very hard right now. Used a 3ct tempo on the eccentric for the extra burn/pump.

Comment

• Friday, 3/18:

BW: 214

Wagon Wheel Sumo DL:
                          385lbs x8x3 @ <6-6

Wow, these felt and moved great. 385 felt more like an RPE 5 than a 6, so I was tempted to go up, but I just stuck with it. No pain during or after these. I feel ready to progress, whether it's in higher RPE targets or increased ROM.

+70lbs x10x3 @ 7

DB Flye:
                          40s x10x3 @ 7

Saturday, 3/19:

HIIT - Rogue Echo Bike Sprints:
                          8 x :30 on / 1:30 off

Cable Rope Hammer Curls:
                          110x12x2 @ 8

Cable Rope Triceps Press Downs:
                          110x15x3 @ 8

DB Curls:
                          35s x12x2 @ 8

Comment

• Sunday, 3/20:

BW: 215

TnG Bench:
                            255lbs x5x5 @ 7-7.5

Finally was able to use 100% normal arch and leg drive with no pain during or after!

OHP:
                            120lbs x8x3 @ 6

Weighted Push Ups, deficit + 2ct pause:
                            +45lbs x15, 14 @ 7

Also did 2 sets of cable face pulls, 3 sets of triceps, and 5 sets of biceps. Did 25 mins of LISS on incline treadmill too.

Comment

• Tuesday, 3/22:

BW: forgot

3-0-3 Tempo HBBS:
                              115kg/253lbs x8x3 @ 6-6.5

Minimal post-squat pain (less than last week) and added 5kg. Cool.

CGBP:
                              107.5kg/237lbs x5x5 @ 6.5-7

Felt strong and moved buttery smooth. Thinking about crushing the bar and throwing the weight back off my chest has helped my bar path a lot, especially with close grip.

Larsen Press:
                              100kg/220lbs x8x3 @ 7.5-8

Supposed to be RPE 7. Little too confident in my abilities due to close grip going so well.

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Row:
                              +200lbs x15x2, 13x1 @ 8

No tempo on the eccentric this time.

Comment

• Thursday, 3/24:

BW: 215.2

Wagon Wheel Sumo DL:
                                395lbs x9, 8x2 @ 6-ish

Accidentally did 9 reps on the first set, but still felt like RPE 6. The two following sets that were actually 8 reps felt a little easier than RPE 6. Only complaints with these is that they tear my shins up pretty bad, even through pants, which normally isn't a problem with pulls from the floor - must be a positioning thing. Excited to return to pulling from the floor soon.

+75lbs x10x3 @ 7

Could tolerate a bit more weight this time around.

DB Flye:
                                40s x10x3 @ 6.5-7

Starting to feel a little easier, but not enough to jump up to 45s.

Comment

Working...
                                X