Codger's Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
    Yeah, the RPE measurement is interesting. We use it a bit, but not to the extent that the BBM crew do.

I'll be watching closely...
    I was impressed by the presentation in the Bridge pdf. Austin and Jordan make a strong case for their ideas. I was debating whether to try the Bridge or to have another whack at Andy Baker's Strength and Mass After 40 program, which I really liked. So I'll see where things stand 8 weeks from now.

Comment

Second day on The Bridge:

Two-count paused squat: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four to five minutes rest. I realized after my workout that these were supposed to be done without a belt. When I do them next week without a belt I might drop the weight slightly.

Press with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four minutes rest. These felt about right, with accurate RPEs.

BB rows: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; three minutes rest. Probably underestimated the weights a bit. Might add five pounds next time and see how that feels.

Comment

So some of the work is beltless, and some is belted?

Comment

Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
          So some of the work is beltless, and some is belted?
          Yes, the first squat workout of the week is belted. The second squat of the week calls for a two-count pause, like the squats I did today. On the third squat day you do a 3-count descent, no pause at the bottom, and then a 3-count up out of the hole. The second and third squat days are beltless so you work with somewhat lighter weights.
          Last edited by codgerus maximus; 11-16-2018, 12:30 AM.

Comment

My first GPP day today:

24 chins with 10 pounds in 7 minutes.

42 ab-wheel roll-outs (kneeling) in 7 minutes.

25 minutes @rpe6 on airdyne.

This was an interesting experience. Typically I would rest five to seven minutes between sets of 8 weighted chins. Today I rested two minutes and made 24 reps in 7 minutes (3 sets of 7 reps and 1 set of 3). Guess I've been babying myself.

Comment

Last workout of week 1 of The Bridge:

Deads with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; five to six minutes rest. I usually don't use a belt when deadlifting but I thought I'd follow the program's instructions. I think the RPEs for these sets were reasonably accurate, maybe a tad light.

One-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Last set might have been 8.5RPE--maybe two more reps instead of definitely two more reps.

3-0-3 tempo squat (three-count down, no pause, three-count up) [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; no belt, five minutes rest. I had no idea what to expect with these so I started with what I thought would be a light weight. I was pretty pooped after I finished all the sets. Not sure about the RPEs--I'll need more practice with these before I can accurately judge my effort.
              Last edited by codgerus maximus; 11-17-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Week 2 of The Bridge, a "moderate stress" week:

Squats: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; five minutes rest. I think the RPEs are accurate. I wore a belt for all the sets.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four minutes rest. The last two sets were supposed to be at RPE 9 but at 205 I probably had 2 more reps in the tank so I micro-loaded to 207.5 for the last set of 4 reps.

Rack pulls: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; five minutes rest; no belt--hook grip and chalk. Jumped up 75 pounds from last week. I think this is about the right weight for me for this rep range.

Comment

Today would be an off-day but chances are I won't have time to work out tomorrow, so:

2-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] I'm still feeling my way into this lift so my RPEs aren't very accurate yet. The last two sets were supposed to be at RPE 9 but 250 felt more like an RPE 8, maybe even a 7, so I did 260 for the last set. Might bump it up to 270 next week.

Press with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] The last four sets were all supposed to be at 8 but 132.5 and 130 both felt a bit heavy so I did 125 for the last set and that felt like a true RPE8--two more reps in the tank, done with good form.

BB rows: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] 7.5; [email protected] The last three sets were all supposed to be at RPE8 but I think I set the weight a bit too light for the first of those three sets.

Comment

GPP day:
                    25 minutes on airdyne at light pace.
                    25 chins with 10 pounds in 7 minutes--one more rep than last week.
                    45 ab-wheel roll-outs in seven minutes, kneeling--three more reps than last week.

Comment

End of week 2 of The Bridge;

Deads with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. For the last three sets at 375 I switched to a mixed grip. Usually I use a hook grip for my heavy deadlifts but the high volume was starting to kill my thumbs! The RPEs seemed about right.

One-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] or 9; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. The last four sets were all supposed to be at RPE 8 but the first three at 205 actually felt more like 8.5 or 9--maybe two reps left, more likely one. So I dropped five pounds for the last set and that felt about right.

3-0-3 tempo squat: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. Still having a hard time judging the RPEs on these. It's fast becoming my least-favorite lift. Grueling, but I guess that's good.

Comment

Starting week 3 of The Bridge:

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. The last two sets were somewhere between 9 and 9.5, I think.

Rack pull: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Five minutes rest. I think the RPEs are accurate, though I might be able to go a bit heavier with these. With RPE 8 or RPE 9, I'm supposing that the 2 or 1 reps left in the tank are reps that can be done with good from and with decent bar speed, not grinding, all-out reps.

Comment

Today's Bridge workout:

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. 5 pounds more than last week. I'm still feeling my way into these. The last two sets might have been an 8 or 8.5. I might try 270 or 275 next week.

Press with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four minutes rest. I think these felt about right in terms of RPE.

BB rows: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. RPE estimates might have been a tad low. I think I'll try 185 next time.
                          Last edited by codgerus maximus; 11-30-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Seems like "paused work" is the order of the day every where.

Comment

My third GPP day:

25 minutes easy pace on airdyne
                              25 chins with 10 pounds in seven minutes
                              48 ab-wheel roll-outs, kneeling, in seven minutes

Comment

End of week 3 of the Bridge:

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four to five minutes rest, mixed grip. RPEs felt about right, I think.

One-count bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four to five minutes rest. These felt a bit stronger than last week. I'm pretty sure the last 4 sets were at RPE8.

3-0-3 squat: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; four to five minutes rest. I realized my weight increments on these were off for the first two weeks. A five percent jump in weight is supposed to correspond to an RPE increase of one. For some reason I was making 10 percent jumps on these. So I adjusted the weight a bit to make 5 percent increases from set to set.

Now, two days of rest!

Comment

Working...
                                X