X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
    Those are nice pulls...440 @ 81/2, very nice!
    Thanks, Chas. Some days I don't know what to expect. I wasn't looking forward to today's pulls but my mood gradually improved with my first few warmup sets.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Those are nice pulls...440 @ 81/2, very nice!

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 11 day 2

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 352.5x5x1; 400x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Close--grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 207.5x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 210x6x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Happy with today's deads. Not too taxing. This was the first time I've tried 440 since my mock meet a couple of months ago, when I couldn't move it off the floor.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    What do you mean by “conditioning work” as different from merely walking?
    All the BBM templates that I've tried specify at least two or three conditioning workouts each week, typically one or two moderate-pace steady state workouts of 25-35 minutes each, plus one high intensity interval workout. I usually just count my brisk walks as the steady-state workouts. For the interval work I use an airdyne, doing 7 to 10 rounds of max-effort 20-second sprints separated by 100-second rests. They can be brutal until you get used to them! (Not sure I ever will...) The templates also throw in some additional things like arm, ab, and upper back work to do on the conditioning days as well.

Leave a comment:

• johnbugay
    replied
    Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

A lot of my weight loss occurred while I was doing the two hypertrophy templates that BB Medicine offers. Each one is 12 weeks long, I think. Lots of volume, fairly high reps, and conditioning work. Those templates, plus a few hours of walking each week really took the pounds off. Though if you're just coming from Starting Strength you might want to try the free Bridge program first. It's a great introduction to using RPE and gets you used to the BBM training style.
    Thanks Codger, this makes sense! I’ll give them a look. What do you mean by “conditioning work” as different from merely walking?

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 11 day 1 on the Powerlifting II template

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 245x5x1; 277.5x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Comp bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 215x3x1; 225x2x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Three-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 187.5x4x2. Three minutes rest.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    I should probably be losing about 40 lbs and improving my PRs across the board. I’ll definitely be reviewing this thread (39 pages!) for some training ideas.
    A lot of my weight loss occurred while I was doing the two hypertrophy templates that BB Medicine offers. Each one is 12 weeks long, I think. Lots of volume, fairly high reps, and conditioning work. Those templates, plus a few hours of walking each week really took the pounds off. Though if you're just coming from Starting Strength you might want to try the free Bridge program first. It's a great introduction to using RPE and gets you used to the BBM training style.

Leave a comment:

• johnbugay
    replied
    Gymdad and Codger, thanks for your kind words. Wow, I’m just a youngster compared with you guys! I have a lot to learn. I’m 6’2”, and given what you are saying here, I should probably be losing about 40 lbs and improving my PRs across the board. I’ll definitely be reviewing this thread (39 pages!) for some training ideas.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Hey John, welcome to the 'Masters" section!
    I'll second Gymdad's welcome, John!

I'm slightly older than young Gymdad--I'll turn 67 in February. My waist has shrunk over the last year but unfortunately my height stubbornly remains stuck about 3 inches below Gymdad's.

Leave a comment:

• gymdad150
    replied
    Originally posted by johnbugay View Post
    Hello Codger and GymDad -- Somehow I stumbled upon your training log -- congratulations on the weight loss and the 32' waist! -- I've been lifting for about five years now -- I found Starting Strength about a year after I started. I'm tall and lanky, with a bit of a belly. I've made some good gains, given the ins and outs of life. I'm wondering how old you gentlemen are?
    Hey John, welcome to the 'Masters" section!

I'll be 66 in January, God willin' and the creek don't rise...

I'm 6'3" ish, and weigh around 200lbs +/- 3lbs. I carry a little more around the waist than Codger, specimen that he is. Last I measured, I was 36" / 37".

Leave a comment:

• johnbugay
    replied
    Hello Codger and GymDad -- Somehow I stumbled upon your training log -- congratulations on the weight loss and the 32' waist! -- I've been lifting for about five years now -- I found Starting Strength about a year after I started. I'm tall and lanky, with a bit of a belly. I've made some good gains, given the ins and outs of life. I'm wondering how old you gentlemen are?

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 10 day 4

Two-inch deficit deadlift (standing on 45-pound bumpers), no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 362.5x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Pin bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 210x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

SLDL with straps: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 10 day 3

Pin squat, no belt; [email protected]; [email protected]; 260x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Touch and go bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 211.25x4x2. Three to four minutes rest. I think 4 reps at 225 is a rep PR for me at that weight.

Wide-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 177.5x8x2. Three minutes rest.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 10 day 2

Deadlift with belt: 421.25 (being a bit ocd about the calculated RPE weights)[email protected]; [email protected]; 355x5x2; 401.25x3x2. Four to five minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 193.75x4x3. Four to five minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 180x8x2. Two to three minutes rest.

Weighed 179.6 first thing this morning. Don't think I've been this light since I was in my early 20s. Later in the day I weighed 182.4, so I made the 83kg cut with half a pound to spare! I'll see if I can stay at this weight. Waist is now about 31.5 inches, down from around 37 a year ago.
    Last edited by codgerus maximus; 12-03-2020, 01:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• codgerus maximus
    replied
    Week 10 day 1 on the Powerlifting II template

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 245x5x2; 277.5x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Comp bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 201.25x4x1; 213.75x3x2; 223.75x2x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Three-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 165x6x3. Two to three minutes rest.

I think I know how I hurt my right quad: I've been favoring my right side as I come out of the hole while squatting--I felt it pretty strongly today on a few reps. If I keep my weight evenly distributed I don't feel the discomfort/almost-pain in my right quad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X