No announcement yet.

Codger's Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey John, welcome to the 'Masters" section!
    I'll second Gymdad's welcome, John!

I'm slightly older than young Gymdad--I'll turn 67 in February. My waist has shrunk over the last year but unfortunately my height stubbornly remains stuck about 3 inches below Gymdad's.

Comment

• Gymdad and Codger, thanks for your kind words. Wow, I’m just a youngster compared with you guys! I have a lot to learn. I’m 6’2”, and given what you are saying here, I should probably be losing about 40 lbs and improving my PRs across the board. I’ll definitely be reviewing this thread (39 pages!) for some training ideas.

Comment

• I should probably be losing about 40 lbs and improving my PRs across the board. I’ll definitely be reviewing this thread (39 pages!) for some training ideas.
        A lot of my weight loss occurred while I was doing the two hypertrophy templates that BB Medicine offers. Each one is 12 weeks long, I think. Lots of volume, fairly high reps, and conditioning work. Those templates, plus a few hours of walking each week really took the pounds off. Though if you're just coming from Starting Strength you might want to try the free Bridge program first. It's a great introduction to using RPE and gets you used to the BBM training style.

Comment

• Week 11 day 1 on the Powerlifting II template

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 245x5x1; 277.5x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Comp bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 215x3x1; 225x2x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Three-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 187.5x4x2. Three minutes rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

A lot of my weight loss occurred while I was doing the two hypertrophy templates that BB Medicine offers. Each one is 12 weeks long, I think. Lots of volume, fairly high reps, and conditioning work. Those templates, plus a few hours of walking each week really took the pounds off. Though if you're just coming from Starting Strength you might want to try the free Bridge program first. It's a great introduction to using RPE and gets you used to the BBM training style.
            Thanks Codger, this makes sense! I’ll give them a look. What do you mean by “conditioning work” as different from merely walking?

Comment

• What do you mean by “conditioning work” as different from merely walking?
              All the BBM templates that I've tried specify at least two or three conditioning workouts each week, typically one or two moderate-pace steady state workouts of 25-35 minutes each, plus one high intensity interval workout. I usually just count my brisk walks as the steady-state workouts. For the interval work I use an airdyne, doing 7 to 10 rounds of max-effort 20-second sprints separated by 100-second rests. They can be brutal until you get used to them! (Not sure I ever will...) The templates also throw in some additional things like arm, ab, and upper back work to do on the conditioning days as well.

Comment

• Week 11 day 2

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 352.5x5x1; 400x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Close--grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 207.5x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 210x6x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Happy with today's deads. Not too taxing. This was the first time I've tried 440 since my mock meet a couple of months ago, when I couldn't move it off the floor.

Comment

• Those are nice pulls...440 @ 81/2, very nice!

Comment

• Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
                    Those are nice pulls...440 @ 81/2, very nice!
                    Thanks, Chas. Some days I don't know what to expect. I wasn't looking forward to today's pulls but my mood gradually improved with my first few warmup sets.

Comment

• Week 11 day 3

Pin squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 262.5x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Touch and go bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 211.25x4x2. Three to four minutes rest. 225 felt heavier today than last week. I might do 220 next time for the second set after the single.

Close-grip floor press: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 165x8x2. Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 11 day 4

Two-inch deficit deadlift, no belt (standing on bumpers): [email protected]; [email protected]; 355x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Pin bench with pins about one inch above my chest: [email protected]; [email protected]; 218.75x2x2. Three to four minutes rest.

SLDL with straps: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 280x8x2. Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 12 day 1 on Powerlifting II template

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 280x3x1; 293.75x2x1; 280x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Comp bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 225x2x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Three-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 187.5x4x2. Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 12 day 2

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 400x3x1; 418.75x2x1; 400x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 207.5x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 210x6x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Happy with today's deads. 450 is now pretty much exactly 2.5 times my body weight. I'm consistently below 83 kg now, even after a meal.

Comment

• Week 12 day 3

Pin squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 265x3x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Touch and go bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 210x4x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Wide-grip bench, touch and go: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 178.75x8x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 12 day 4, wrapping up the Powerlifting II template

Two-inch deficit deadlift (standing on 45-pound bumpers) no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; 367.5x3x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Pin bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; 220x2x2. Three to four minutes rest.

SLDL with straps: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; 285x8x1. Two to three minutes rest.

So another BBM template under my belt. This template actually has a 13th week, but it's a meet-prep week, where you work up to your openers. I'm going to skip that week since I don't feel like doing any RPE 10 singles now. All in all some decent progress over the last 12 weeks: my bench and deadlift improved. And after some quad and knee aches my squat seems back on track. Next week I'll start the Powerbuilding 2 template, which the BBM docs describe as "a blend of strength-training and body-building wrapped up into one template." It runs for 10 weeks.

After that I'll start another dedicated powerlifting template, probably Strength 3. With any luck it will get me into good shape at 83 kg for a meet in the late spring or early summer, and we'll be looking at the beginning of the end of the pandemic.

Comment

Working...
                                X