Codger's Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 3 day 2

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; 395x2x5. 90 to 120 seconds rest.

Floor press: [email protected]; 172.5x5x6; 60 seconds rest.

High bar squat: [email protected] amrap; 185x12x2. Three minutes rest. The first set left me gasping for air for two minutes. Is there an RPE 12? So instead of doing 196.25 for the last two sets I dropped the weight to 185. I think 210 would have been a better choice for the first set.

Comment

• How are liking this new program?

Do you feel like it will work on the platform come meet day?

Comment

• Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post
        How are liking this new program?

Do you feel like it will work on the platform come meet day?
        I'm enjoying the program though my numbers have been a bit inconsistent. I think my body is starting to adapt to the new training--short rests, etc. I decided not to enter the New Mexico meet. I've been nursing a sore right elbow and and left shoulder and they're just starting to feel better so I thought I'd give them more time to heal and focus on powerbuilding/hypertrophy for a while and avoid singles above RPE 8. In the fall my plan is to start one of the RTS meet-prep programs and see how that goes.

Maybe by early winter I'll be ready for a meet. At some point I'd like to work with a trainer, either with one of the BBM crew or with RTS. Or maybe drive to Albuquerque once a month to work with a great lifter there named Carlos Santoliquido: https://www.openpowerlifting.org/u/carlossantoliquido He placed second in the Raw Master's Nationals in Daytona and he took first place in Spokane in 2018.

Looks like your training is coming along nicely!

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

I'm enjoying the program though my numbers have been a bit inconsistent. I think my body is starting to adapt to the new training--short rests, etc. I decided not to enter the New Mexico meet. I've been nursing a sore right elbow and and left shoulder and they're just starting to feel better so I thought I'd give them more time to heal and focus on powerbuilding/hypertrophy for a while and avoid singles above RPE 8. In the fall my plan is to start one of the RTS meet-prep programs and see how that goes.

Maybe by early winter I'll be ready for a meet. At some point I'd like to work with a trainer, either with one of the BBM crew or with RTS. Or maybe drive to Albuquerque once a month to work with a great lifter there named Carlos Santoliquido: https://www.openpowerlifting.org/u/carlossantoliquido He placed second in the Raw Master's Nationals in Daytona and he took first place in Spokane in 2018.

Looks like your training is coming along nicely!
          Starting with the last statement:

Training is "progressing". I had to bottom out at Daytona to realize how much I lost in terms of a "base". We're in the process of re-building that over the next year(s).

You pointed out the wear and tear on your body, and it makes me appreciate all the more the great year of training I had leading into Chicago. Hopefully you'll get things in order, enabling you to get back on the platform.

If you decide to engage a coach, let me throw out this thought: I saw Leah at Daytona as she handled one of her many lifters, and I though she did a fabulous job. I think her demeanor would mesh perfectly with what you're trying to accomplish....fwiw.

But by all means, give a whirl to having another set of eyes and specific programming geared towards you. I think you'll like the experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by gymdad150 View Post

Starting with the last statement:

Training is "progressing". I had to bottom out at Daytona to realize how much I lost in terms of a "base". We're in the process of re-building that over the next year(s).

You pointed out the wear and tear on your body, and it makes me appreciate all the more the great year of training I had leading into Chicago. Hopefully you'll get things in order, enabling you to get back on the platform.

If you decide to engage a coach, let me throw out this thought: I saw Leah at Daytona as she handled one of her many lifters, and I though she did a fabulous job. I think her demeanor would mesh perfectly with what you're trying to accomplish....fwiw.

But by all means, give a whirl to having another set of eyes and specific programming geared towards you. I think you'll like the experience.
            Wear and tear and hopefully self-repair... I'm trying to be conservative with the three main lifts and so far I think things are on the mend.

Thanks for mentioning Leah. I think you're right--it would be great to work with her. Though I suspect I'd be happy with any of the BBM coaches. So maybe later in the year I'll treat myself to their one-on-one online coaching for a few months, with an eye to prepping for the 2022 raw natonals...

Comment

• Week 3 day 3 on the RTS powerbuilding template

High-bar squat, no belt: [email protected]; 221.25x5x6. 60 to 70 seconds rest.

Two-count paused bench: [email protected]; 165x5x6; Two minutes rest. The set of four was supposed to be an RPE 8. Based on how my last warm-up set at 190 felt I probably should have gone with 197.5 instead of 202.5

Feet-up bench: 150x10x1 (amrap); 130x12x3; 130x11x1. Two to three minutes rest. I was hoping to hit 12 reps for the first set but could only manage 10. Missed the 12th rep on the last drop set. 91 total bench reps today--probably the most I've ever done.

Comment

• Week 3 day 4

Deadlift with chains, no belt: 390 (including 35 pounds of chains) [email protected]; 340 (incl. chains) x5x4. 90 seconds rest. First time trying deadlifts with chains. I think I could add another 20 pounds.

Touch and go bench: [email protected]; 197.5x2x5. 40 seconds rest.

Good mornings: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 4 day 1 on the RTS powerbuilding template

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comp bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

DB bench: 142.5 (total weight) [email protected] (amrap set); 127.5x12x2. Two to three minutes rest.

Weight holding steady at about 177 first thing in the morning.

Comment

• Week 4 day 2

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Incline bench: [email protected] I had to quit the session. I felt like I was coming down with something last night and it suddenly hit me in the middle of the workout--just too tired to finish. The first incline set was supposed to be [email protected] by sets at RPE 8 and 9, and then three sets of Bulgarian Split squats. I might need to rest for a few days.

Comment

• Decided to switch things up a bit and try the BBM Bodybuilding template. I've been doing nothing but powerlifting templates for a long time now and feel a bit burned out; more often than not I haven't been looking forward to training. I skipped my last two workouts just to give my body a rest.

Today's workout:

High bar squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Belt squat: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Single-leg extension: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two minutes rest. Minuscule weight but the non-existent leverage with my jury-rigged cable and pulley system makes these pretty tough.

Seated BB calf raise: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two minutes rest. First time doing these. Judging from today's workout I think 215 for 12 might be about an RPE 8.

Comment

• Day 2 on the bodybuilding template

Touch and go bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

DB flies: 85 (total weight) [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Seated press: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Upright BB row: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest. Haven't done these since I was in my teens!

Comment

• Something knocked out our internet service yesterday so I'm posting two days of workouts.

Saturday:

RDL with straps: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Hip thrust: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Lying single-leg extension: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Standing calf raise on step with barbell: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

The RDLs felt good I lightened the load a bit so that I could get a better range of motion, almost touching the plates to the floor.

Today's workout:

Pull ups: [email protected]; + 5 pounds: [email protected]; +7.5 pounds: [email protected] Four to five minutes rest.

T-bar row: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

DB bench: 120 (total weight) [email protected]; [email protected]; 130x12x1[email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

DB lateral raise: 10 (each) [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

BB shrug: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three mniutes rest.

I'm trying to do the lifts with what I think of as bodybuilding form--fairly slow count with a pause at the top or bottom of each rep.

Comment

• Sometimes a change is what's needed...

Carry on!

Comment

• Yes, I definitely needed a change. After easing up on the heavier low-rep sets for the last week I already feel a bit fresher.

Comment

• Week 2 day 1 on the BBM bodybuilding template, or, the banana hammock chronicles

High-bar squat, no belt: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Belt squat: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Single-leg extensions: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Seated BB calf raise: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X