Codger's Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 7 day 3

Deadlift, no belt: [email protected] [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Two-count paused bench: [email protected]; 171.25x4x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Belt squat: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Nordic curl: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Resistance band curl with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 7 day 4

High-incline bench: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

One-arm DB row: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Low-incline close-grip bench: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Standing chest fly with Rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps kickbacks with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

I decided to use bands for a few exercises this week. I started to enjoy them during my short road trip last week so I thought I'd include them on a regular basis for a few supplemental exercises. I found the banded fly to be tougher than the DB or cable version.

Comment

• Week 8 day 1 on Powerbuilding 3 redux

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected] Three to five minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; 165x5x3. Three to four minutes rest.

Two-count paused deadlift, no belt: [email protected]; 300x4x3;. Two to three minutes rest.

Leg extension with rogue red band: 20x4. Two to three minutes rest.

Curls with rogue red band: 15x5. Two to three minutes rest. It's interesting playing around with bands. For these curls I knotted the band at about shoulder height on the rack, stepped back several feet with my arms stretched out and parallel to the floor, and then curled the band back. It felt pretty good--not a movement that could be easily replicated with weights.

Comment

• Week 8 day 2

Paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to five minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat, no belt: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Dips with 25-pound weight vest: 10x4. Two to three minutes rest.

One-arm lateral raise with rogue orange band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest. I found these to be more challenging than the DB version, since there's increasing resistance through the entire range of motion.

Triceps kick back with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 8 day 3

Deadlift, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest. The single felt tough today.

Two-count paused bench: [email protected]; 175x4x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Belt squat: [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

I'm not sure what to call the fourth exercise I did. Kind of like a Bulgarian split squat using a band for resistance, and pushing back on the weight-bearing leg as you rise, working the hamstrings as they lengthen. I got the idea from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjC1VBuqs8s. The trainer demonstrates the movement at about 7:40 into the video. I found them to be very challenging using a rogue green band. I did 3 sets of 12 at RPE 8 with 2 to 3 minutes rest.

Culrs with bands from various angles: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 8 day 4

High-incline bench: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Low-incline close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; x3x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Band fly with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps kick back with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 9 day 1, second run of PB 3

Everything felt heavy today; it was hot and humid in the garage, and it also seems like I'm on slight downward slope after several weeks of progress.

Squat with belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Close-grip bench: [email protected]; 152.5x5x3. Three to four minutes rest. I was expecting to hit 180 today for a set of 5 at RPE 8, after hitting 177.5 last week at an RPE of 7 or 7.5. But during my warmups I failed on a fifth rep at 172.5, so I decided to go with 165 for the top set.

Two-count paused deadlift: [email protected]; 260x4x3. Two to three minutes rest. I went a bit too light on these.

Reverse nordic: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Curls with bands and DBs: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 9 day 2

Paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected] Three to five minutes rest.

Two-count paused squat: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Dips with 30-pound weight vest: 10x4. Two to three minutes rest.

Lateral raise with rogue red band: 12x4. Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps rope cable press down: 30x15x1; x14x2; x13x1; x12x1, all at RPE 8. Two to three minutes rest.

Much better conditions in the garage today, mid-70s and not quite as humid as yesterday. Everything felt strong. Although I used the same weight for the bench as last week, I was able to do five triples instead of one triple and six doubles I did last week, keeping the effort at RPE 7 or 7.5. And the paused squat was a mind-bogglingly massive 2.5 pounds more than last week!

My weight is still holding steady at 175, somewhere between 13 and 14 percent bodyfat, according to my old digital scale. I've had to buy smaller shirts and workout shorts (and a new competition singlet) to accommodate my shrunken frame.

Comment

• Week 9 day 3

Deadlift, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to five minutes rest.

Two-count paused bench: [email protected]; 176.25x4x2. Four to five minutes rest.

Belt squat: [email protected] Then I was supposed to do 30 more reps at the same weight, with no set going above RPE 7. But weirdly I couldn't budge the weight off the floor for my second set, even though the first set of 12 moved quickly and without any grinding at all. Strange. So I took 60 pounds off the loading pin and still couldn't budge it. That's never happened to me before. Anyway, I shifted to some squats with resistance bands to get in the 30 reps.

Leg curls with resistance band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Cable curl: [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 9 day 3

High-incline bench: [email protected] Four to five minutes rest.

Low-incline close-grip bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; x2x1. Two to three minutes rest.

Standing fly with rogue red band: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps cable press down with rope: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Next week I'm planning to start the low-fatigue strength template. It will be my first dedicated strength block in quite a while.

Comment

• My training was disrupted a bit last week. Last Monday I had a dermatologist appointment and she spotted what she thought was a melanoma on my upper back. So she removed it, along with a sizable patch of epidermis, and sent if off for a biopsy. After two rather tense days of waiting the results came back: It turned out to be a benign growth. So I got to enjoy a brief encounter with my mortality.
                        But the gouge on my upper back meant I couldn't squat or even bench so I did a bunch of push ups, pull ups, and band work last week.

Then a couple of days after the biopsy results I somehow managed to strain my right foot, giving myself what appears to be a case of plantar fasciitis, caused, I think, by overdoing it with my new weighted vest: I did some steep incline work on a treadmill while wearing the vest. Too much too soon.

So, with a tender foot and back I got back under the bar today, starting the first week of the Low Fatigue Strength template:

Squat, no belt: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Seated DB press: 42.5 (each) [email protected]; [email protected]; 45x4x`[email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Close grip push up: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Cable curl: [email protected]; [email protected] Two minutes rest.

Comment

• Week 1 day 2

Deadlift, no belt: [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Two-board bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three to four minutes rest. I overshot these a bit.

Split squat with empty bar: [email protected] Two minutes rest.

Nordic curls with 6-0-0 count: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps rope press down: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

My foot felt a little better today but I didn't want to push too hard. And the cut on my back still looks pretty nasty.

Comment

• Week 1 day 3

SSB, no belt: [email protected]; 210x4x2. Three to four minutes rest.

Wide-grip bench: [email protected]; 160x6x1; 160x4x1. Three to four minutes rest.

Weighted push up: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Pull up: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

DB curl: 32.5 (each) [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.
                            Last edited by codgerus maximus; 09-03-2022, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• Week 1 day 4

Banded deadlift: [email protected] Three minutes rest.

High-incline bench: [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Lever row: [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Reverse nordic: [email protected] with 6-0-0 count. Two to three minutes rest.

Triceps rope press down: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Still feeling a bit of the plantar fasciitis but much less than a few days ago.

Comment

• Week 2 day 1 on the low fatigue strength template

Squat, no belt: [email protected] Three to four minutes rest.

Paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected] Four minutes rest.

Seated DB press: 47.5 (each) [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Banded close-grip push up with rogue blue band: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Concentration DB curl: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Two to three minutes rest.

Feeling much better this week. There's a little residual tenderness in my right foot first thing in the morning, barely noticeable. I was blaming the weighted vest but now I think it's more likely I strained the fascia while doing split squats with bands a couple of weeks ago. The biopsy gouge on my back makes benching a bit uncomfortable but it's not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X