X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempo Squats are the devil...

Your numbers are looking sweet!

Comment

• Thanks, GD. The deadlift number is gratifying because my last two injuries--a tweaked back and a pulled hamstring--occurred when I was pulling singles at 440.

Comment

• Did some GPP on Thursday while staying over night in an Albuquerque hotel (my wife had a medical appointment).
        Neutral grip chins: 30+ in 8 minutes; a bunch of planks in 8 minutes; HIIT on an elliptical: 20 second sprints every two minutes for 14 minutes. I had never been on an elliptical machine before--not a bad workout. I still feel my calves two days later.

Today: day 3 of week 5 of the 12-week strength template:

5-3-0 tempo squats: [email protected]?; [email protected]; [email protected] Four minutes rest. One set was supposed to be at RPE 9. I'm estimating that I should have tried 265 but hadn't done tempo squats in this rep range so I was being conservative.

Floor press: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four minutes rest. First time I've done these. I was surprised--I thought the reduced range of motion would make these easier than a regular bench press, but the absence of leg drive made them harder, at least for me!

Incline DB press: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

DB curls: [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Comment

• indeed, just when you think: maybe I'm not using my legs on Bench. You do floor presses and you find out just how much you have been using leg drive.

Comment

• You do floor presses and you find out just how much you have been using leg drive.
            Yes, it was interesting to experience.

Today: day 4 of week 5:

2-count paused deadlift, one inch off floor, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four to five minutes rest. Used my brand new Sabo deadlifting shoes for the first time today. Didn't notice much of a difference from my old Nike metcons, to be honest. Maybe I'll appreciate them more when I'm doing heavy singles.

Touch 'n go bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Four minutes rest. I was planning on doing 205, 215, and 225, but everything felt light during the warmups, and 210 went up really fast, so I upped the weight a bit.

SLDL, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest. I think I can add weight pretty aggressively to these.

Triceps press-downs: [email protected]; three minutes rest.
            Last edited by codgerus maximus; 03-03-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• GPP day: BB rows with 185 pounds: 40 reps in 8 minutes; ab-wheel roll-outs: 63 in 8 minutes. 30 minutes LISS on airdyne.

Comment

• Damn, that's bordering on CrossFit...

That said, impressive Rows and AWRO.

Comment

• Damn, that's bordering on CrossFit...
                  You're right--I hadn't thought about it but they are. Both the Bridge template and the 12-week-strength template that I downloaded have these workouts programmed once or twice a week.

Started week 6 today, which has a lot less volume than the previous weeks.

Squat with belt: [email protected]; 306.25x4x2. Four minutes rest. I think I'll repeat this weight next week. (Which is what I said last week about 355, but I was feeling good today, so what the heck.)

Press with belt: [email protected]; 132.5x4x2. Four minutes rest. The heavy single was supposed to be RPE 8 but I don't know if I had even one more rep left in me, much less 2. Think I'll go back to 155 or even 152.5 next time I do these.

3-count paused bench: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; Four minutes rest. This was the first time I've done a 3-count paused bench in this rep range and underestimated the RPEs. The progression should have been something like [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]

DB curls: [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Comment

• I haven't asked this question elsewhere, but I thought I'd throw it out to you first:

Using the RPE method of calculating 1rm, this number seems substantially higher than traditional methods (weight x .0333 x reps) + weight.

Do you find this to be the case for you?

Have you done a 1rm attempt and does it correlate well to eiher number?

I'm about 5% off the traditional calculation based on meet results.

Comment

• My training partner uses 3 count pauses on her back off work and she swears by them.

She's looking at a 112.5kg Bench at her April competition. Our ansẃer to Jen Thompson...

Comment

• Using the RPE method of calculating 1rm, this number seems substantially higher than traditional methods (weight x .0333 x reps) + weight.

Do you find this to be the case for you?
                        I haven't tried a true 1RM yet--it's not part of the program I'm doing right now. The spreadsheet for the 12-week strength template estimates that my competition bench 1rm is now 265, based on the 245 single at RPE 8 that I did last week. Plugging my touch and go bench (4 reps with 232.5 at rpe9) into the traditional formula gives a 1rm of 263, so fairly close. This might be a good question for one of the BB Medicine crew.

She's looking at a 112.5kg Bench at her April competition. Our ansẃer to Jen Thompson...
                        Wow, that's impressive. Is she a state record holder?

Comment

• Week 6, day 2.

Deadlift with belt: [email protected]; 390x4x2. Four to five minutes rest.

One-count paused bench: [email protected]; 210x4x2. Four minutes rest.

Squat, no belt: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Triceps press-downs: [email protected] Three minutes rest.

Deadlift and bench are continuing to progress nicely. Both singles went up smoothly and relatively fast. Wasn't sure what weight to use for the 8-rep squats, so I was conservative. I think I'll add 15 pounds to each set next time I do them.

My totals for the week at RPE8: 360/247.5/460=1067.5. Getting close to the qualifying totals for the raw nationals!

Comment

• ...and you're only at RPE 8.

That Bench is gold Codger, gold I tells ya!

Comment

• Originally posted by codgerus maximus View Post

Wow, that's impressive. Is she a state record holder?
                              Used to be. She'll regain it in April! Tonight she hit a Slingshot double at 120kg...and she really doesn't get that much assistance out of the Slingshot. The damn reps moved like lightning...I was laughing at how easy it was.

She also hit a raw triple at 105kg for her top set.

She's my gold standard in the gym...you can check her work on Instagram - @rikiellanap

Comment

• She's my gold standard in the gym...you can check her work on Instagram - @rikiellanap
                                I just looked at some of her videos--really great stuff. I wish I could get the same sort of arch she achieves on her bench.

That Bench is gold Codger, gold I tells ya!
                                Pure, unadulterated geezer gold!
                                Last edited by codgerus maximus; 03-07-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X