Friday 20 April 2018
    The Bridge Week 1 Day 5

Deadlift with belt

Bench press (1ct) with belt

Tempo squat (3-0-3)

Superset x 2
    Tricep rope press downs: 11.25kgs x 15
    Alternating dumbbell curls 7kgs x 15

So tired... Kiddo is struggling at night and getting up twice to eat and notifies us by screaming at the top of his lungs. It also takes ages for him to fall asleep again.

I have detrained. These felt harder than my first attempt at The Bridge just under a month ago. No matter, I will take the conservative route of keeping the weight the same when the volumes increases week to week, and will increase the weights when the volume stays the same week to week.

I added a couple of sets of arms. If I tack on two sets at the end of a workout, the volume will add up slowly.
    Log

Comment

Tuesday 24 April 2018
      The Bridge Week 2 Day 1

BW = 91.2kgs (yesterday morning)

Squat with belt

Close grip bench press

Rack pull (from blocks with straps)

Fatty is still fat. Fatty is exhausted too. Kiddo is getting up twice a night screaming for milk and cuddles. Life is hard with a toddler kiddo. I haven't had a chance to cook so I am buying the best food I can (sliced roast beef and sliced pastrami with rice). I am going back to my bodybuilding style diet as developed from my old coach John Meadows. Jordan and John have many similarities, but John's is better for recomposition being a bodybuilder. The main difference is on non-weight training days cutting the calories a bit more over the whole day with lower carbs and a bit more fat. You could say 80 to 90% is the same so splitting hairs for some.

It was the first time using a workout concoction similar to Peri Rx, which is similar to what I used before (Granite Supplements, John Meadows company). Import duties are not worth it in the UK so I make it from scratch here for half the price. Differences are minor between Peri Rx and Granite, (eg BCAA in the former and EAA in the latter) but the latter uses a bit different amounts and has additional ingredients with a little less rigorous evidence, but at least some evidence. I also add some HBCD to my workout mix.

About 4 minutes or so rest between sets. I figure set the timer to 4 minutes and by the time I have put my belt/wraps/straps on it is 4.5 to 5 minutes. No arms today as training again tomorrow (couldn't go yesterday due to life).

Headphone battery died mid Slipknot song during close grip bench press. No fun listening to boppy poppy shit the gym plays. It was still a good training session.
      Last edited by teddyd; 04-24-2018, 12:09 PM.
      Log

Comment

Wednesday 25 April 2018
        The Bridge Week 2 Day 3

Pause squat 2 count
        Press with belt
        Rows
        Superset x 2
        Tricep rope press downs: 13.75kgs x 15
        Simultaneous DB hammer curls 8kgs x 15

Feeling OK despite a bit tired staying up while kiddo cried last night. Good session.
        Last edited by teddyd; 04-25-2018, 11:20 AM.
        Log

Comment

Thursday 26 April 2018 The Bridge Week 2 Day 4

Chin ups: 4+4+3+3+2+2+2+2+1+1+1+1=26
          Abs: 7 minutes rotating through front plank, side planks, and V hold.
          LISS: 25 minutes elliptical, average HR 117bpm (65% max HR).
          Log

Comment

Hi Ted,

I've previously followed your log on the Starting Strength forums as I started my own LP, which was very helpful to me. Through your log I also discovered the Barbell Medicine forum, which was a great thing as well. Thanks for that.

Did you get tired of filming your sets? I very much enjoyed the video clips that you posted.

Comment

• teddyd
              teddyd commented
              Editing a comment
              Huffman, thank you for your kind words. I am glad in my little tiny out of the way corner I am providing some guidance. I am very touched. Thanks.

Both you and Fatih have now raised the point of filming my sets. You have both kicked my arse on it and I will now deliver. Not tired so much as lazy. I will get on it. The thought actually occured to me today during my last set of deadlifts. Consider it done.

Friday 27 April 2018
            The Bridge Week 2 Day 5

Deadlift with belt
            Tempo squat (3-0-3)
            Superset x 2
            Tricep rope press downs: 14kgs(ish) x 15
            Alternating strict dumbbell curls 8kgs x 15

Deadlifts took too long as I was chatting with one of the (slightly) better trainers in the gym between sets (he was pressing in the rack behind me). He has a bit of nocebo about himself (old running injuries therefore blah blah blah), but is the only trainer I have heard talk about the shoulders in front of the bar and chest up on the deadlift, but then offset it with bum down (¯\_(ツ)_/¯). Come bench press I was powering through with almost no rest between warmups and 4 or so minutes between work sets, and the same for tempo squats, which got easier as the weights went up.

After listening to the good doctors' Youtube video Thoughts on CrossFit, What Causes Muscle Soreness, and Programming? (gents, one of the best yet) the answer in relation to sleep was a good one. I am getting circa 7 hours sleep but broken in two or three as kiddo is waking up. Still, I get up and get on with and not noceboing myeslf about it regarding training (or work or life really).

I am actually feeling good and feel like I can do more. Is training going well? Yes, yes it is. Diet is generally on point too since making it a priority this week. I think my weight belt is getting a bit looser. Let us see next week, and the next, and the next.

(Current tunes: Bear McCreary - Overture (God of War). Uber motivating.)
            Last edited by teddyd; 04-27-2018, 12:24 PM.
            Log

Comment

Thursday 3 May 2018
              The Bridge Week 3 GPP Day 1

Chin ups: 4+4+3+3+2+2+2+1+1+1+1=24
              Abs: 7 minutes rotating through front plank, side planks, and V hold.
              LISS: 25 minutes elliptical, average HR 113bpm (64% max HR).

Came down with a flu like cold on Monday (aches/shivers/the whole shebang). First day back in the gym and GPP it is. Tomorrow I continue with Week 3 Day 1 of The Bridge weight training days.
              Log

Comment

May the Fourth be with You (Friday 4 May 2018)
                The Bridge Week 3 Weights Day 1

BW = 89.8kgs

Squat with belt
                Close grip bench press
                Block pull (from blocks with straps)
                I am obviously undertrained due to time off earlier this week. I could not get [email protected] at target weight of 77.5kgs (not using microplates anymore) due to lack of pressing. Mind may not have been as focussed as necessary. Not happy, but I cut the weight and the 75kgs was fine. I probably could have done more on the rack pulls but I am being conservative on lower body as I really really need and want to push upper body.

Videos are back! (Thanks to Fatih and Huffman_Tree busting my chops about them.) And enlightening they are. Squats in the first set were dive bombed a bit so the second and third set were more controlled on the descent, with better back angle on the ascent. They felt better too. In CGBP I was visibly tighter in the last set than the prior set, which may have contributed to the better movement and being able to push the weight more easily. Bench press concentration and tightness is something I really need to work on. Block pulls were good, nice and smooth. And yes, trust me, I am a Jedi.

In other good news, the wife proposed a couple of 40th birthday present options which is in a couple of months. I countered with home gym (because fuck globo gyms and the people in there - a busted bent plate today in there due to lack of respect of equipment). Fine was the answer, just find a garage. We have one, but it is a small one and was cannibalised for interior renovations (laundry,WC, and larger kitchen) prior to us purchasing the house. So the hunt begins.

The family and I are off to Stockholm this long weekend so regular programming returns on Tuesday next week with GPP and then Weights Week 3 Day 2 on Wednesday.
                Log

Comment

I like the idea of using those 20kg plates as blocks to pull from - perfect height and it spares the bar a bit. I'll do the same thing once I transition to The Bridge.
                  Did you launder that shirt too hot or did your upper body get bigger?

Comment

• teddyd
                    teddyd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Here's hoping it’s bigger!
                    Last edited by teddyd; 05-08-2018, 09:19 PM.

Wednesday 9 May 2018 The Bridge Week 3 Weights Day 2

Pause squat 2 count

Press with belt

Rows

Superset x 2
                  Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 8kgs x 15
                  Simultaneous DB hammer curls 8kgs x 15

Pretty good session. Two hours though from leaving my desk and returning to my desk. The workout itself was about 1 hour and 40 minutes. There was some discussion with gym staff about plates and loaded barbells being left about the place (my pet frustration). One of the trainers wanted to work in, which I was happy with. I told him that I would ramp up squats quickly (20kgs, 20kgs, 50kgs, 70kgs, then working sets as above) and he went to another rack.

Arms are two sets at the moment to get a pump on as time is limited. The plan is to increase these to 3 supersets each weights workout day. I use a variety of movements taken from my prior bodybuilding experience Mountain Dog Training.

Pause squats felt good and strong. Press was good too, considering it had been a while since I last did presses and I am undertrained. I am not using microplates anymore, although they would be ideal here, as they are a pain to lug around and result in a heavy bag. I did each of the last two sets in one breath. Rows were OK. The second last rep didn't quite touch my chest in the second set (you can hear the absence of a clang at the top), and the same happened in rep 6 of the last set. Maybe only 3 minutes rest was not enough. I am still getting used to the IronMind Sew-Easy lifting straps, they feel different getting strapped onto the bar and they sometimes fold under my palm, which doesn't feel good mid-set.
                  Log

Comment

• Fatih
                    Fatih commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Ted, very solid session above.
                    One question:
                    In Bridge 1.0 pdf, it says "2ct Paused Squat: Pause for 2 seconds at the bottom of the squat."
                    In above videos it seems you are doing it with 1 second pause. Any reason? Maybe you are not using seconds but simply counting up to 2 in your mind?

By the way, I found a gold mine and started recording my workouts here:
                    http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/AppHome/Index
                    It is free and giving tons of useful training information.
                    Check it out.

• teddyd
                    teddyd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Fatih.

It is a 2 count in my head. I believe the point is to remove the stretch reflex from the bottom of the squat. 1 second, 3 seconds, same same in my head if the aim is stretch reflex removal. I could elongate it a bit I guess, but it feels like minutia.

I am aware of the RTS training log. I haven't poked around with it yet. The Bridge spreaddy at the moment is fine.

• Fatih
                    Fatih commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Got it. Makes sense.
                    Today I did 2ct inclined bench with 2 real seconds.
                    Man, the that pause feels like never ending..

Thursday 10 May 2018 The Bridge Week 3 GPP Day 2

Chin ups: 5+4+4+3+2+2+2+2+1+1+1=27
                  Abs: 7 minutes rotating through front plank, side planks, and V hold
                  LISS: 25 minutes elliptical, average HR 115bpm (65% max HR)
                  Log

Comment

Last night I tweaked my nutrition plan again to lower calories a bit.

Weight training day:
                    P: 223g; C:253g; F: 66g
                    41%/47%/12%
                    Total = 2,483 calories
                    Non-weight training day:
                    P: 200g; C:110g; F: 115g
                    47%/26%/27%
                    Total = 2,271 calories
                    Log

Comment

• Fatih
                      Fatih commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ted, how do you manage to stay at 66gr fat for a day? That is the most difficult one for me to achieve. I just had my pretty lean breakfast and I am already at 30gr fat

• teddyd
                      teddyd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Protein from lean meats such as white fish (cod post-workout), chicken breast no skin, 95%/5% beef or venison. Carbohydrates from rice, some bread (at brekkie). Fats on workout days come from the three whole eggs at brekkie and nut butter as part of my pre-workout concoction (ground rice, protein powder, and nut butter).

On non-workout days some nuts during the day and more eggs at brekkie (x6) make up more fats and I am looser with meat leanness (e.g. chicken thighs, etc).

Today though I am out and about so probably more fats than ideal (trained today).

Sunday 13 May 2018
                    The Bridge Week 3 Day 5

Deadlift with belt
                    Tempo squat (3-0-3)
                    Friday I didn't get to the gym. Work was super busy (and I was super stressed). Saturday I didn't manage to go either (crashed for a couple of naps with kiddo). I managed to go yesterday. Not the best workout, but one in the books nonetheless.

Deadlift was good and moved well. I did note that I was leaning back a bit. Fixed in the third set. Not sure why I was doing so.

Bench press was OK for the first two sets. There was some RPE creep, but I thought I would keep the weight the same for set 3. It was a shocker of a set (a bit disappointed the recording crapped out as I wanted to review it). It was an RPE @9.5 borderline RPE @10. It was a real grinder and the bar bath was shocking in the last repetition. The funny thing was in hindsight after set 4 it was obviously mental or focus or whatever. When I dropped the weight by 2.5 kgs to 70kgs for set 4, it moved easily and was a definite [email protected] Was it ego keeping the weight in the third set rather than dropping it? Maybe.

I was running out of time (kiddo and wifey were waiting) so did the [email protected] and [email protected] sets (didn't do the two [email protected] sets) for tempo squat to get something in. The squat is my least prioritised lift as it is my natural strength, which I really don't like, so I don't really mind skimping on it a bit.

All in all an average workout, but got most of it in and now high stress week starts tomorrow.
                    Log

Comment

Thursday 17 May 2018
                      The Bridge Week 3 Weights Day 2

Pause squat 2 count
                      Press with belt
                      Rows
                      A bit quicker today (circa 80 minutes) as less chit chat. Offset by a bit slower moving between sets as tired. It comes with being a dad of a toddler.

I only have two workouts avaiable to me this week. Instead of going into week 4 high stress, I am repeating the last two workouts of last week (week 3).

Pause squats were paused longer this week further to observations last week. Press I need to get under the bar more and get it closer to the nose on the way up. On some rows in the last set it felt my back was rouding. It wasn't but I wasn't tightening my lats and erectors enough.

RPEs remained roughly the same which is good considering I am aiming to lean out a bit. I wear the weight belt on the 4th hole, down from the 5th, so it is in the right direction.

Tomorrow is day 3 weights of week 3. I aim to perform better than last week's RPEs on bench.
                      Log

Comment

Friday 18 May 2018
                        The Bridge Week 3 Day 5

Deadlift with belt
                        Tempo squat (3-0-3)
                        Total time in gym was pretty much bang on 90 minutes. Good workout and much better than last Sunday. RPEs were down, particuarly on bench press.

Deadlifts were good and relatively clean. I need to take my time a bit though, particularly between reps and set myself properly.

Bench press was great. Mental game was strong. Why? I reminded myself that in SSLP I was doing 82kgs x 5 reps x 3 sets, admittedly at RPE @9.5-10, but that I can and have lifted more than 72.5kgs for reps and sets. The weight flew up. Differences today were better pauses with a tighter hold and all around tighter set up on the bench with super retracted scapulae. I am chuffed. Onwards!

Tempo squats were OK. I note that I needed a bit more rest befor the [email protected] set as my lower back was sore in the latter part of the set. I forgot to film the first working set (I know that all sets > @6 or @7 are working but I only count the last sets of either @8 or @9).
                        Log

Comment

Working...
                        X