The way the descriptions for the rehab templates are worded, it seems like they are “a return from injury”. And maybe I am just reading things wrong, but do they work for chronic symptoms as well?
I had three lower back injuries in the span of like two years. Two were from moderate rep (8-10) deadlift sessions where my back just locked up and I dropped the weight and took a couple weeks to walk normally. The third was me bending down to pickup a pair of pliers where I fell over and couldn’t get up for about ten minutes, and it took several weeks to walk normally.
About 18 months after the last injury everything kind of hurts my back. It hurts when I wake up in the morning, it hurts when I sit a bit weird in a chair, it hurts to do dead hangs, chinups, any kind of squats, and any kind of hinge. An RDL with 25# dumbbells hurts. It’s a pretty low level of pain I can push through and all of these exercises relieve symptoms for basically the rest of the day and my back feels great.
Specifically it feels like the pain is centered on my SI joint on my left side. But I recognize that might not be the cause or origin of the pain/injury.
I have gotten to the point where I am OK with just having chronic low level back pain for the rest of my life because it isn’t that bad, but I don’t want it to get worse.
Is there any hope that doing a structured rehab program would actually “fix” the problem long term? I have read the articles on how to go about finding an entry point, but really any exercise that loads the spine (any squat or deadlift), or unloads the spine (pullups or dead hangs), hurts. One of the worst is benching. Getting into a good position with shoulders squeezed, back arched, and legs flexed is about the worst.
I would be open to rehab counseling after the new year when my FSA resets, but for now it’s either trying the low back template or pushing through the pain, which isn’t a lot of pain.
The two things that feel the best for my back are rowing and walking. But almost any strength training hurts.

