Rest time between sets on low fatigue gen 2

How much time should I rest between sets on the generation 2 low fatigue program? (I apologize if this has been answered already, and also for such a long winded question for what is probably a much easier answer).

With generation 1 low fatigue, most of the exercises alternated between upper body and lower body (e.g bench and squat) or between antagonist muscle groups (e.g. dips and chins). I know this was not always the case, but for the most part, it seems to work out that way. I would typically do a set of squats, wait 2 to 3 minutes and do a set of bench, and then wait again two minutes and do a set of squats again. This allowed me to give my legs about 4-5 minutes of recovery between sets and my chest and 4-5 minutes of recovery. I felt this was an overall better use of my downtime instead of just waiting 4-5 minutes for every single set prescribed.

With generation 2, I have noticed that most days there are quite a few programs that focus on the same muscle group in a row (e.g. day 1 could go from competition bench press followed by Larson press, followed by a three second eccentric bench press, and then again followed by tricep extensions). If I would try to super set two of these exercises back to back, even if I’m causing 2 to 3 minutes between sets, that muscle group isn’t getting the same recovery as it was when I was doing generation one super sets. With generation 2 are you advocating for less super setting, and would like followers to go in order of the prescribed exercises, and wait 4 to 5 minutes between each exercise? Or do you feel super setting a Larson press and an eccentric bench press with roughly 2 to 3 minutes between sets would be ample enough recovery?

I hope this question makes sense! Thank you for your time!

Howdy!

There are no programmed agonist-agonist supersets like comp bench and 3s paused bench on either low fatigue program. On some of the programs using a full body split, exercises may focus on the same muscle group(s) back to back. They are never supersetted though.

We didn’t explicitly advocate for supersets on the 1st gen template, but it’s still a somewhat viable option in both using agonist-antagonist or alternate-peripheral exercise pairing. I would not superset agonist-agonist exercises together generally speaking.

We have podcast on this question. There is also a section in the text on supersets for a further explanation.

3 Likes

Thank you, Jordan! I appreciate the clarification.

1 Like